5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:58 AM

Overheating Issue

I wanted to get some opinions from you all on here. My Maxima is a 2000 GLE and I have had issues with it ever since I got it. The current problems are that it overheats randomly and it revs up and down when I put the car in park which is also sporadic. I took it to my regular mechanic and he couldn't get it to overheat for him and couldn't find a problem. I took it to a different shop yesterday and they told me that one of my fans (they said that the car has 2) is bad. I almost forgot to give you guys info on the problem. I couldn't put my finger on what appeared to be a sporadic overheating issue, but after I really thought about it I noticed that it only overheats on days when I am on the highway and when I get stuck in traffic at some point in time that day. If I ride around all day on surface roads it rarely or never overheats, also if I ride on the highway and never get stuck in traffic during the day it rarely overheats, but as soon as I have a combination of the two the car overheats and it does it pretty quickly. My fear is/was that it is a bad head gasket, the new shop told me that they believe that the problem is just the fan. They also told me that the idle issue is caused by either the idle regulator needing cleaned or since I recently had the IACV and the ECU replaced that the mechanic might not have had the proper tool to match the two up and it is causing problems when idling. I am nervous that I will shell out the money to fix the fan and it will not be the issue. I put more money than I wanted into this car as it is. Does this sound like it could really be the cause of my problem?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Tap the fan and if it wiggles, it's bad.
The fan should be very solid.

The assembly is cheap. Less then 100bux.
Amazon.com: Dorman 620-416 Radiator Fan Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 620-416 Radiator Fan Assembly: Automotive

Is this happening with the a/c on, mostly?
fluids mixing?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 AM

If you have a fan that is not working, you need to replace it. But now that we are moving into winter, I'm not so sure that will cure your overheating problem. With one good working fan, these cars will usually run normally. You may have a thermostat problem where it is not opening all the way. But replace the fan and see what happens.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Tap the fan and if it wiggles, it's bad.
The fan should be very solid.

The assembly is cheap. Less then 100bux.
Amazon.com: Dorman 620-416 Radiator Fan Assembly: Automotive

Is this happening with the a/c on, mostly?
fluids mixing?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I haven't used the a/c since I live in NJ and it hasn't been that warm here is quite some time, but I did notice that when it starts to overheat the heat stops working.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If you have a fan that is not working, you need to replace it. But now that we are moving into winter, I'm not so sure that will cure your overheating problem. With one good working fan, these cars will usually run normally. You may have a thermostat problem where it is not opening all the way. But replace the fan and see what happens.
The most recent mechanic that looked at the car said that that is why I am only seeing a temp rise on the days I am on the highway. He said other wise my car would maintain the proper temperature, which it does.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Head temperature sensor going into the back of the upper intake manifold on the left side if your standing in front of the car can also have an effect on how the fans operate and are very inexpensive and very easy to replace yourself. Also sounds like it could also be a thermostat issue which is also inexpensive to replace so maybe start with those two and see what happens another thing is there may be an air lock in your cooling system. The bleeder screw which i believe is an 8mm and is located on the top right side of the upper intake manifold if your standing in front of the car. It doesn't hurt to open the screw and run the car to get it up to temperature as you top up the coolant and run the coolant through until you dont see any air bubbles then put the bleeder screw back in place.

Last edited by ac max 92; 12-22-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:08 PM

How much should it cost to fix that? They told me $450 for one and $650 if I replaced them both.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by D Realist
How much should it cost to fix that? They told me $450 for one and $650 if I replaced them both.
Sorry being a third gen i just realized your post was for a 5th gen so your bleeder screw and head temperature sensor would be in a different place but i'd still start with the thermostat and or head temperature sensor and if the 5th gens have a bleeder screw then follow that same principal i stated. That sounds like alot of money to replace those items unless they're gouging you on the labour. I'd have to look into pricing on those items on a 5th gen but i know on a third gen a thermostat is maybe around $30 and the temp. sensor about $25. before consulting with the shop i'd call your local parts store to get a price on the parts then talk to you shop about the price for labour. I mean heck it costs about $500 to $600 to do a timing belt and water pump not a thermostat and head temp. sensor. See if you can get the cost and list price on your parts when you call your local parts store. Your mechanic will get a cost price and will sell you your parts at list which is to be expected but even at list i can't see your thermostat and temp. sensor being any more than a $100 or so for parts.

Last edited by ac max 92; 12-22-2013 at 06:44 PM.