5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can't fit the Stillen RSB brackets on my I35

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 11:33 PM

Can't fit the Stillen RSB brackets on my I35

My I-35 was up on the lift yesterday, and the mechanic and I discovered it was not possible to install the rearmost bracket on the suspension rails. There is a bracket which holds the ABS line in place in just the right place to make attaching the bracket impossible.

Can anyone help with a way to work around this? Will I have to grind down that bracket?
Old 01-20-2002, 07:45 PM

Please, if anyone knows how to solve this problem, let me know!!
Old 01-20-2002, 11:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I replied to you on 5thgenmaximas.com before. On my addco RSB I had to unbolt the Brake line braket, then install my RBS bracket and then I re-installed the brake line bracket. If you want you can just leave the brake line braket off, 2000 maxima's did not have this braket and there was no problems.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by emax95
I replied to you on 5thgenmaximas.com before. On my addco RSB I had to unbolt the Brake line braket, then install my RBS bracket and then I re-installed the brake line bracket. If you want you can just leave the brake line braket off, 2000 maxima's did not have this braket and there was no problems.
I really appreciate your response. Thanks very much!
Old 01-20-2002, 11:53 PM

Re: Can't fit the Stillen RSB brackets on my I35

Originally posted by umpopa
My I-35 was up on the lift yesterday, and the mechanic and I discovered it was not possible to install the rearmost bracket on the suspension rails. There is a bracket which holds the ABS line in place in just the right place to make attaching the bracket impossible.

Can anyone help with a way to work around this? Will I have to grind down that bracket?
You better take pics of your i35, i love that car.
Roger
Old 01-21-2002, 12:08 AM

Re: Re: Can't fit the Stillen RSB brackets on my I35

Originally posted by radpp16

You better take pics of your i35, i love that car.
Roger
I do, too, Roger...and I will, as soon as I get that digital camera which was supposed to be under the Xmas tree.

BTW, while the Midnight Blue has the potential to be as much a dust magnet as your Black Max, the Zaino seems to keep it more manageable than I'd expected it would!
Old 01-21-2002, 06:39 AM

Re: Can't fit the Stillen RSB brackets on my I35

Did you get the RSB installed? On my 2k1 I remember there was a tab holding the ABS line that I just bent down so it was flat.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:52 PM

Re: Re: Can't fit the Stillen RSB brackets on my I35

Originally posted by ru4real

Did you get the RSB installed? On my 2k1 I remember there was a tab holding the ABS line that I just bent down so it was flat.
No, it's not installed yet, while I've been awaiting a solution to that very tab you bent down! Was it something you could do with just your fingers, a pair of pliers, or what? I'm very eager to get your answer!
Old 01-22-2002, 09:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Can't fit the Stillen RSB brackets on my I35

No, it's not installed yet, while I've been awaiting a solution to that very tab you bent down! Was it something you could do with just your fingers, a pair of pliers, or what? I'm very eager to get your answer!
I'm working from memory, but I think I used a large pair of pliers to pull the tab down a little bit, then repositioned the pliers so they were squeezing the tab towards the trailing arm to make it flat. If it's not totally flat, then then blue brackets will mash it down when you tighten the bolts. I think I put the ABS line inside the blue brackets where they have a space to pass the ABS line through. Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't fit the Stillen RSB brackets on my I35

Originally posted by ru4real

I'm working from memory, but I think I used a large pair of pliers to pull the tab down a little bit, then repositioned the pliers so they were squeezing the tab towards the trailing arm to make it flat. If it's not totally flat, then then blue brackets will mash it down when you tighten the bolts. I think I put the ABS line inside the blue brackets where they have a space to pass the ABS line through. Hope this helps.
Enormously! That was the single bug-a-boo which prevented the installation from proceeding. Thanks very much!!!
Old 01-22-2002, 10:42 PM

yep

Here is the scoop...

The abs line holder on the 2k is different than the 2k1. (but its not noted on the stillen instructions)

Here are your options:

1. Remove the abs line holder, Stillen said this was ok because the blue brackets will hold the abs line
2. Bend the flange down with a mallet(what I did)
3. Cut the flange off (what avalon racing recommended)
4. Get the abs holder from a 2000

Take your pick! Let me know if you get stuck!
Old 01-22-2002, 10:50 PM

Re: yep

Originally posted by theMax
Here is the scoop...

The abs line holder on the 2k is different than the 2k1. (but its not noted on the stillen instructions)

Here are your options:

1. Remove the abs line holder, Stillen said this was ok because the blue brackets will hold the abs line
2. Bend the flange down with a mallet(what I did)
3. Cut the flange off (what avalon racing recommended)
4. Get the abs holder from a 2000

Take your pick! Let me know if you get stuck!
Thanks very much! I will plan to cut the flange off, if it can be done without too much hassle, or give it the mallet treatment. I really appreciate your help!