5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SC'd "Puttering"!!!

I recently got my supercharger and I've noticed in the past couple of days that when I hit the gas, my car is put-put-puttering!!! I asked a mechanic about it and was told that when you get an SC, it uses more fuel so you also have to adjust the fuel intake (how much fuel is getting into the engine...because since the engine is being "force-fed" (forced-induction) it uses more fuel because its working harder! So...you have to manually adjust the fuel intake in the car from the stock setting...which I dont think was done. The engine is asking for more fuel but its not getting it and it puttering! Has anyone evry heard of this or does anyone know what the fix would be to this problem? Fuel regulator perhaps? Let me know...

Deac
Old 01-18-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Originally posted by Deac
I recently got my supercharger and I've noticed in the past couple of days that when I hit the gas, my car is put-put-puttering!!! I asked a mechanic about it and was told that when you get an SC, it uses more fuel so you also have to adjust the fuel intake (how much fuel is getting into the engine...because since the engine is being "force-fed" (forced-induction) it uses more fuel because its working harder! So...you have to manually adjust the fuel intake in the car from the stock setting...which I dont think was done. The engine is asking for more fuel but its not getting it and it puttering! Has anyone evry heard of this or does anyone know what the fix would be to this problem? Fuel regulator perhaps? Let me know...
Deac
Where's Kev when you need 'em. I thought I remember those sc'd guys talking about new fuel rails or something for increased flow. Mechanic makes sense though, more air needs more fuel to mix with to burn correctly.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:43 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

I'm here, DenMax.

Hmmmmm...... put-put-puttering? Can you please describe that better? That can mean many things. It could be your Hobbs switch, but I need more info.

You mechanic is talking out of his other end. You get extra fuel through the Vortech FMU and inline boost a pump. There's no need to manually adjust your fuel (unless you have different recalibration discs or a fuel pressure regulator).
Old 01-18-2002, 09:56 AM

Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I'm here, DenMax.

Hmmmmm...... put-put-puttering? Can you please describe that better? That can mean many things. It could be your Hobbs switch, but I need more info.

You mechanic is talking out of his other end. You get extra fuel through the Vortech FMU and inline boost a pump. There's no need to manually adjust your fuel (unless you have different recalibration discs or a fuel pressure regulator).
Describe it better huh?!? Its kinda hard to do w/out making the actual sound!!! But... instead of a smooth sounding acceleration when you hit the gas, you hear the car sputtering/puttering when you step down on the gas...Theres no longer a solid acceleration sound, there are "puts" as you accelerate!
Old 01-18-2002, 10:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

Check ALL your hoses and clamps to see that they are sealing right.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Describe it better huh?!? Its kinda hard to do w/out making the actual sound!!! But... instead of a smooth sounding acceleration when you hit the gas, you hear the car sputtering/puttering when you step down on the gas...Theres no longer a solid acceleration sound, there are "puts" as you accelerate!
Please email me a sound file (you can use your voice and make the noises if you wish). j/k

Follow up in Jeff's suggestions, but it also sounds like your belt might not be tight enough. It does this and then stops after a moment, right?
Old 01-18-2002, 10:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Please email me a sound file (you can use your voice and make the noises if you wish). j/k

Follow up in Jeff's suggestions, but it also sounds like your belt might not be tight enough. It does this and then stops after a moment, right?
When I am at a steady RPM it stops...you hear it when I accelerate!
Old 01-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

When I am at a steady RPM it stops...you hear it when I accelerate!
So it happens if you step on the gas and stops when the rpms don't go up that fast anymore?

Did they get oil or power steering fluid on the pullies or belt?
Old 01-18-2002, 11:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Try running the secondary fuel pump at all times.

So it happens if you step on the gas and stops when the rpms don't go up that fast anymore?

Did they get oil or power steering fluid on the pullies or belt?
Old 01-18-2002, 01:13 PM

Your not talking about the girliing sound right? Just making sure. Is it like a tranny put put. Or the engine or the blower making the put put. Make sure theres not leaks like in the recurc valve. Just some ideas.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC

yes i agree.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:40 AM
BlkCat

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC

Cheston in another thread mentioned about detaching and plugging the vacuum hose that goes to the top of the Vortech FMU. This forces the FMU to pump all of the time.

Old 02-14-2002, 09:13 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Originally posted by BlkCat

Cheston in another thread mentioned about detaching and plugging the vacuum hose that goes to the top of the Vortech FMU. This forces the FMU to pump all of the time.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

You will blow your motor up if you do this. That vacuum line is like an artery, if you cut it off and boost....... *BOOM*
Old 02-14-2002, 09:27 AM

I have experiances wit two SC Max's that did this.

On one, the fuses got "confused" and the in tank fuel pump wasnt running. The vortech boost pump did run and was able to pull fuel through the factory in tank pump so the car would start and drive but if you nailed the gas it would sputter.

On the other, the wires to the vortech fuel pump were put on backwards, pos on neg and neg on pos. The car started and drove but no acceleration and puttering when it was floored.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:02 AM
BlkCat

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

You will blow your motor up if you do this. That vacuum line is like an artery, if you cut it off and boost....... *BOOM*
Did yours go boom? Mine didn't nor have I seen nor heard of any others complaining of that. Is there a thread on this?

Old 02-14-2002, 11:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Originally posted by BlkCat

Did yours go boom? Mine didn't nor have I seen nor heard of any others complaining of that. Is there a thread on this?
The post above said unplug from the Vortech FMU, if you do this it will not boost fuel pressure and you will run lean.

What you are thinking of, is unpluging the vacuum line from the Vortech T-Rex in line fuel pump relay control boost switch so that the pump runs all the time.

Unplug the vacuum line from the FMU and go do some racing and let us know how it works out for ya
Old 02-14-2002, 11:34 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SC'd "Puttering"!!!

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Unplug the vacuum line from the FMU and go do some racing and let us know how it works out for ya
i.e. what the UNICHIP guys did to Lyt97SC's car.