5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AT Transmission Slipping, 2nd to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

AT Transmission Slipping, 2nd to 3rd

Ok, so I have a 2k auto and the transmission has started to slip. Here's the background...
  • 257,000 miles. I've been the sole owner.
  • Never had any slipping problems before, except originally TSB recall very early on at about 20,000 miles (taken care of by dealer). They changed out solenoids.
  • Installed a VB mod from Maximum Tuning and tranny cooler. Switched to synthetic at about 30,000 miles.
  • Only previous issues were "sticking" in 3rd without going into OD. I found this was due to overheating in those cases, only about 15 minutes at a time for both times it happened.
  • Serviced regularly. Last time I dropped the pan and flushed was about 2 years ago. Did not find any shaved metal and only has metal dust stuck to the magnets.
I noticed the slipping it first happening last night. It was bad from first to second and second to third. I checked the fluid and it was 1.5 quarts low. Put some seafoam transmission treatment in and filled it to proper level. Slip from first to second was gone (very rare now) and it slips from second to third almost every time. I checked for any engine codes and don't have anything transmission related, only the P0430 which I will take care of at some point.

Question...in doing the research it seems there are three possibilities:

1. Bad speedo sensor. Although I'm not showing a code?
2. Bad solenoids. Last changed at 20K during dealer TSB service.
3. Tranny is dying.

I'd like some input because all I am seeing is $$$ at this point. I haven't had to buy a car in over a decade and really don't want to start taking on any payments. In the current condition the Maxima is probably worth what? $500? Both rear main seal and front main seal are leaking, steering rack is leaking, suspension making all kinds of noise, and I have some bad axles or hubs giving a vibration.

I don't want to throw a bunch of dough at the car and thought if I could just get it to last till the end of the year we'd be good. Can I still drive it like this?

Listen up boys...this is why you never let women drive your car! I let my wife drive it for a few weeks and it seems the Maxima is going to ****. I asked her last night if she noticed anything funny when the Maxima shifts and she said, "No, why should I have?" Sooo...it either JUST happened when I drove it last night or she was completely oblivious so it could have been happening for a few weeks.

CLIFF NOTES: tranny slipping from 2nd to 3rd. Had low fluid, filled up and it fixed 1st to 2nd slip. No engine codes (read them). Next steps?

As always any input is appreciated...except from PlaneCrash.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Transmission Slipping

I had the same problem with my 2002 maxima SE with 104,000 miles that time. I drop down the transmission pan, around 1/4 thick of sludge are attached to the pan and magnet. Spray the solenoid with contact cleaner, let it drain for 30 minutes. Install a new oem transmission pan and bolts with red loctite on the tip. . I used the Amsoil OE Synthetic around 7 quarts. (Equivalent to Nissan D ATF). After two days of driving slipping of transmission resolved.
DO NOT FLUSH the transmission because some of the sludge from the trasmission pan will reach the torque converter.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Thanks Colt, appreciate the response. Do you think I would have that much of a sludge problem given the history of my transmission and my service intervals? I don't want to put anymore money into this car than I have to at this point to keep it running. Synthetic ATF isn't cheap and dropping the pan will take anywhere from 3 to 4 quarts which is $30 to $40, plus the pan gasket. I won't change the tranny bolts since those were changed last time and again...don't want to dump anymore money than I have to.

Do you think the speedo sensor could be the culprit? I think I'll try cleaning that first and see what happens since that costs nothing.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM

time for new car
Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by george__
time for new car
Yes...soon, but I want to try and hang onto this till at least the end of the summer or end of the year when the best car deals happen. We are coming up on the worst time to buy a new car...spring.

Looks like I'll be cleaning the speedo sensor and if that doesn't work dropping the pan.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

IMO a tranny doesn't warrant a new car. Owner malfunction maybe.

In any case, and for what it's worth, my 95's transmission is pretty gone, slips, and has pretty much lost 2nd and 4th (OD), but it has been this way since 2006, and still rides just fine and you can only tell if you're really getting on it.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
IMO a tranny doesn't warrant a new car. Owner malfunction maybe.

In any case, and for what it's worth, my 95's transmission is pretty gone, slips, and has pretty much lost 2nd and 4th (OD), but it has been this way since 2006, and still rides just fine and you can only tell if you're really getting on it.
Whoa...how often do you drive the 95?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Whoa...how often do you drive the 95?
I used to drive the sh^t out of it, then got the 03, and handed the 95 over to my mom. I gave it to her with 242k, that was in 2006, it now has 247K, at most.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I used to drive the sh^t out of it, then got the 03, and handed the 95 over to my mom. I gave it to her with 242k, that was in 2006, it now has 247K, at most.
Ah...well I see my wife and I putting about 10,000 more miles on the maxima before the end if the year. I'm hoping it will hold on.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 AM

I'd venture to guess you'll be fine, but plan on getting that new car after Summer. Just keep the trans fluid full.

and over 250K on original tranny is pretty damn good FTR.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Get Off My Lawn

The tranny will be fine. Clearly you - like the rest of us, are conscious of your car and its operation. Most women won't notice unless its significant. Even my wife is on the BETTER end of that scale and (just for example) came home in our van the other day and was like "the check engine light is flashing." Yeah, cyl. 5 misfire. She got the light but NOT the misfire!!
In any case, you notice cause that's how us .orgers operate. So, keep driving, don't trash on it, and it'll be fine.

BTW, I would have noticed the misfire. But be danged if I would had noticed my wife wearing a new blouse!!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
The tranny will be fine. Clearly you - like the rest of us, are conscious of your car and its operation. Most women won't notice unless its significant. Even my wife is on the BETTER end of that scale and (just for example) came home in our van the other day and was like "the check engine light is flashing." Yeah, cyl. 5 misfire. She got the light but NOT the misfire!!
In any case, you notice cause that's how us .orgers operate. So, keep driving, don't trash on it, and it'll be fine.

BTW, I would have noticed the misfire. But be danged if I would had noticed my wife wearing a new blouse!!

Truth right there, same way...

And to the OP good luck on the Transmission just be easy on it. Me I didn't have good luck on mine Previous Owner must of Dogged the **** out of t...

Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 PM

Ok, so I have a 2k auto and the transmission has started to slip. Here's the background...[*]257,000 miles. I've been the sole owner.[*]Never had any slipping problems before, except originally TSB recall very early on at about 20,000 miles (taken care of by dealer). They changed out solenoids.[*]Installed a VB mod from Maximum Tuning and tranny cooler. Switched to synthetic at about 30,000 miles.[*]Only previous issues were "sticking" in 3rd without going into OD. I found this was due to overheating in those cases, only about 15 minutes at a time for both times it happened.[*]Serviced regularly. Last time I dropped the pan and flushed was about 2 years ago. Did not find any shaved metal and only has metal dust stuck to the magnets. I noticed the slipping it first happening last night. It was bad from first to second and second to third. I checked the fluid and it was 1.5 quarts low. Put some seafoam transmission treatment in and filled it to proper level. Slip from first to second was gone (very rare now) and it slips from second to third almost every time. I checked for any engine codes and don't have anything transmission related, only the P0430 which I will take care of at some point. Question...in doing the research it seems there are three possibilities: 1. Bad speedo sensor. Although I'm not showing a code? 2. Bad solenoids. Last changed at 20K during dealer TSB service. 3. Tranny is dying. I'd like some input because all I am seeing is $$$ at this point. I haven't had to buy a car in over a decade and really don't want to start taking on any payments. In the current condition the Maxima is probably worth what? $500? Both rear main seal and front main seal are leaking, steering rack is leaking, suspension making all kinds of noise, and I have some bad axles or hubs giving a vibration. I don't want to throw a bunch of dough at the car and thought if I could just get it to last till the end of the year we'd be good. Can I still drive it like this? Listen up boys...this is why you never let women drive your car! I let my wife drive it for a few weeks and it seems the Maxima is going to ****. I asked her last night if she noticed anything funny when the Maxima shifts and she said, "No, why should I have?" Sooo...it either JUST happened when I drove it last night or she was completely oblivious so it could have been happening for a few weeks. CLIFF NOTES: tranny slipping from 2nd to 3rd. Had low fluid, filled up and it fixed 1st to 2nd slip. No engine codes (read them). Next steps? As always any input is appreciated...except from PlaneCrash.
My tps was causing this Same problem replaced and adjusted it and I ran fine 02 se

Sent from my iPhone using MaximaOrg
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 PM

Wow, if the trans lost 1.5 qts in the short time SHE was driving it, you must REALLY have a problem. Did you tell her that from now on that she must check the engine vitals before she takes off? Looks to me like you dropped the ball.
It sounds to me that with the items that you have listed that need attention, you have done very little to maintain the car. I think you should just put some more trans fluid in it and finish running in into the ground.
Good luck on the next car you get and I hope it serves you as good as your Maxima.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:39 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by venturous
Wow, if the trans lost 1.5 qts in the short time SHE was driving it, you must REALLY have a problem. Did you tell her that from now on that she must check the engine vitals before she takes off? Looks to me like you dropped the ball. It sounds to me that with the items that you have listed that need attention, you have done very little to maintain the car. I think you should just put some more trans fluid in it and finish running in into the ground. Good luck on the next car you get and I hope it serves you as good as your Maxima.
Ummm you missed the part where I said the mileage....it has over 250,000 miles. The things I mentioned start to happen when the mileage gets up to this point. Lack of maintenance isn't the issue, mileage is the issue.

As far as the Trans fluid level it had not been checked in a few months or so...don't know where the fluid may have gone, maybe from RMS leak.

But...thanks for your useless input.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=foodmanry;8913914]

Listen up boys...this is why you never let women drive your car! I let my wife drive it for a few weeks and it seems the Maxima is going to ****. QUOTE]

Yes, I understand that the car is high mileage and that is one of the great things about a Maxima. I sold an 88 Maxima with 295,000 miles on it years ago that still did not use oil. I wish I could say that about my I35 with half those miles.
It just sounded like you wanted to blame your wife when it also sounded like there were a lot of maintenance items that had piled up.
Sometimes, that is the way I get in the middle of the night when I can not sleep, I give useless inputs.

Last edited by venturous; 02-18-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

[QUOTE=venturous;8917026]

Listen up boys...this is why you never let women drive your car! I let my wife drive it for a few weeks and it seems the Maxima is going to ****. QUOTE]

Yes, I understand that the car is high mileage and that is one of the great things about a Maxima. I sold an 88 Maxima with 295,000 miles on it years ago that still did not use oil. I wish I could say that about my I35 with half those miles.
It just sounded like you wanted to blame your wife when it also sounded like there were a lot of maintenance items that had piled up.
Sometimes, that is the way I get in the middle of the night when I can not sleep, I give useless inputs.
That statement about women was sarcasm. I wasn't blaming my wife. It was said in jest because when I drove the car after not driving it for a few weeks I immediately noticed the slipping in the tranny.

At any rate...I appreciate any valuable input or comments on the issue. Everything else is just not very useful and only commenting to comment.

At this point, I just need to get the Maxima to keep going till the end of the year. It would be nice to get my check engine light fixed and the slip issue fixed so I can at least obtain a reasonable amount of money on a trade in.

That said...I did pony up the money for the OEM solenoids and will be replacing those when I drop the tranny pan. I figured better to just change them out when dropping the pan to inspect for metal dust, filings, or debris on the magnets since I'm using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF at $10 a quart. I'm hoping that takes care of the slipping issue.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

So I took a chance thinking it may be the solenoids and I replaced them. When I dropped the pan it looked VERY clean for the amount of miles since last time, approximately 40,000 miles. There was only some metal dust on the magnets. See attached picture.

I also replaced the filter/screen and there was only a few bits of metal filings, nothing major.

This is how my pan and filter/screen have been every time I have serviced the transmission. I have a hard time believe something suddenly happened because there is no varnish, very minimal metal residue, and it really just happened overnight.

I know someone mentioned a bad TPS can cause these types of symptoms. Worth checking into? I figured I might want to reach out to the org to see if any other 2k auto is willing to swap out a transmission control module and/or TPS to see if one of those is the culprit.

I really don't think my transmission is suddenly going downhill with the performance and service history. But maybe I'm wrong...

Last edited by foodmanry; 06-29-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Is there any correlation on the slipping with a lower MPG? My MPG has decreased about 20% since the tranny started slipping.

Also, would a clogged precat have any affect? I installed a used front precat about a month ago in hopes of taking care of my CEL.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Apparently, I just needed some patience because the transmission has stopped slipping. Looks like changing the solenoids worked.

I'll just have to monitor the MPG closely and see if that is a lingering problem, but I think my lower MPG was related to the transmission slipping.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:50 PM

As always any input is appreciated...except from PlaneCrash.
Thank you, sir, for my new sig

About slipping transmission - my auto I35 began slipping recently, and my brother said Lucasoil Transmission Fix worked for him. He said it made his transmission in his auto '00 Sonoma grab the gears easier.
I gave it a shot since it was only $10 a bottle. I drained off the equivelant amount of tranny fluid, then added the entire contents of the bottle. It's some thick stuff, so it took a while to drain into the resevoir.

It did the trick though. Sometimes I'll have a much smaller slip when I first start the car, but after warming up it's shifting like it used to. It's more of a bandaid than a true fix, but I plan on replacing the transmission eventually (read: when I have the money freed up!)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

When I was researching my problem I saw mixed reviews on the Lucas tranny additive. There was more positive reviews on seafoam tranny treatment. I poured the seafoam in when I first noticed the slipping. It didn't seem to help, but maybe it cleaned something in the transmission that came out after I dropped the pan and changed the solenoids.

Who knows....
Old 03-01-2014, 01:40 PM

I might end up changing the solenoids too. A true fix is definitely better than a quick "fix"
Old 03-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by AznRyan
I might end up changing the solenoids too. A true fix is definitely better than a quick "fix"
If you do that just remember to be patient as it can take a while for the transmission to react to the new solenoids.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 AM

If you do that just remember to be patient as it can take a while for the transmission to react to the new solenoids.
Will do. Do you know the rough cost of the project and how long it took to install the new solenoids?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Will do. Do you know the rough cost of the project and how long it took to install the new solenoids?
About $450. $300 for the solenoid assembly. I got it from the link below (cheapest I found that was OEM). $80 for the fluid because it takes about 7 to 8 quarts and I use synthetic Mobil. $60 for the use of the lift and tools at the DIY shop I went to. A few bucks for the pan gasket. I didn't opt to replace the 21 bolts as they recommend since I replaced them last time I dropped the pan. Takes approximately 2 hours.

http://www.nissanpartsasap.com/?siteid=216643
Old 03-09-2014, 02:39 PM

the amount of labor required by the shop might exceed the value of the car

Last edited by george__; 03-09-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:06 PM

George please dont try to give Advise to OG AznRyan the KungFu cat smuggler!! Any way Ryan its new trans time so pony up the $600 and get a new one.and btw if you remove the cages from the trunk you use for smuggling it will last a bit longer.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
George please dont try to give Advise to OG AznRyan the KungFu cat smuggler!! Any way Ryan its new trans time so pony up the $600 and get a new one.and btw if you remove the cages from the trunk you use for smuggling it will last a bit longer.
It's true...
Old 03-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Your wrong once again george!sol pack about $250 time to change about 4 hours at a 3 beer a hour pace.just need some trans fluid,sol pack,gasket set and if he really wants to a transgo shift kit which will add about 5 beers worth of time.so were looking at $400 and a case of stella to do the job.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 PM

^
No way it is that cheap

Last edited by george__; 03-09-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:38 PM

^ No way it is that cheap
Using a WalletWrench increases the price 116%
Old 03-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check your vehicle output speed sensor, make sure its clean & your connections are good. A bad sensor will cause slipping & improper shifting.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Maybe...but I think he plans on doing it himself as I did.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:04 AM

Bolt set for AT pan?

Originally Posted by colt149
I had the same problem with my 2002 maxima SE with 104,000 miles that time. I drop down the transmission pan, around 1/4 thick of sludge are attached to the pan and magnet. Spray the solenoid with contact cleaner, let it drain for 30 minutes. Install a new oem transmission pan and bolts with red loctite on the tip. . I used the Amsoil OE Synthetic around 7 quarts. (Equivalent to Nissan D ATF). After two days of driving slipping of transmission resolved.
DO NOT FLUSH the transmission because some of the sludge from the trasmission pan will reach the torque converter.
Colt, where did you get the 21 bolts for the AT pan?
(My understanding is that they should be replaced, not reused .... )

I am trying to drop my AT pan. Bought a new one already but can't find the bolts anywhere.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Colt, where did you get the 21 bolts for the AT pan?
(My understanding is that they should be replaced, not reused .... )

I am trying to drop my AT pan. Bought a new one already but can't find the bolts anywhere.

Thanks for your help!
Dealer as they come with the thread lock/sealant on each bolt already. Most dealers should carry these in stock. Warning...they aren't cheap.

I think some members alternatively matched the bolts at a local hardware store and used their own thread sealant on them.

Word of warning...do not over torque these bolts. They only need about 70 inch pounds.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've dropped my pan at least 3-5 times over the years and have yet to replace. I only replace the gasket. No leaks as of yet.

Best practice is to replace the bolts, but, I have yet to with no ill effects.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Yeah...I've only changed the bolts one time in 260,000 miles and dropping pan 5 or 6 times. No leaks.

Use that information as you see fit.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:50 PM

Yeah...I've only changed the bolts one time in 260,000 miles and dropping pan 5 or 6 times. No leaks.

Use that information as you see fit.
Are you sure about that?

I noticed the slipping it first happening last night. It was bad from first to second and second to third. I checked the fluid and it was 1.5 quarts low. Put some seafoam transmission treatment in and filled it to proper level.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by chrisduke
Are you sure about that?
Yes. Read carefully....

Quick Reply: AT Transmission Slipping, 2nd to 3rd