5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Hey all

So car suddenly started to randomly die while driving. Check engine light came on, too. I hooked up a reader, and got the P0340 code. "camshaft position sensor A bank 1 or single sensor. After looking into it on here and other sites, here's what I've come to understand. This is after going through some conflicting information.

- Bank 1 is the Rear sensor. It is also referred to as:
-- Right (side - looking at engine from driver fender)
-- Straight sensor.

- Bank 2 is the Front sensor. It is also referred to as:
-- Left (side - looking at engine from driver fender)
-- Angled sensor

Both sensors are located on the right side of the engine (looking from bumper) basically at the ends of both valve covers. Simply take off the engine dust cover and you'll see them.

I will be replacing the rear sensor as it looks like it freaking melted inside the plug... however, the plug itself is broken, looks as if it split from the heat? Crazy.. so now I have to find out where to get a new plug.

As for the sensor, I plan on ordering from rockauto. I've read a few people saying not to use anything other than nissan parts, with few others saying others worked just fine. Well, I don't see why non-nissan sensors wouldn't work.

I'm thinking about getting: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...730&cc=1431961

It's not the cheapest from their selection, but info seems solid. Any thoughts on that sensor? Any idea where to go get another cable/plug for the sensor?

I'll be posting pictures of this process soon as get the part to replace.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:44 PM

After market parts are as such. You always take a risk OEM or aftermarket if they are going to work or not. If you run a percentage tho, aftermarket parts fail a lot more than OEM.

Your best bet is probably go to an auto wrecker and snag a new plug and harness. Just make sure you connect the wires with something decent not just butt connectors.

And you should be able to see the both sensors without taking the cover off. Its just easier to pull them out with the cover off.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:46 PM

I bought mine off ebay and learned my oem was fine. Less than twenty bucks and works same as oem.

I bought new wiring harness from an org member for 10$.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-21-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by SSJRICH
After market parts are as such. You always take a risk OEM or aftermarket if they are going to work or not. If you run a percentage tho, aftermarket parts fail a lot more than OEM.
I think if you do some research and contact some aftermarket manufacturers (as I have), you'll find that now-a-days the parts you purchase from the dealer parts counter or any OEM parts retailer are likely the same parts available at the parts stores.

Here's a link to some interesting info I posted on another forum ...

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-li...cksprings.html