5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dyno of Stock Auto AE with K&N Drop-in Panel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 11:58 AM

Dyno of Stock Auto AE with K&N Drop-in Panel Filter

I went to ACS Racing in Hanover, MA this morning. They have a Dynojet, and every other Saturday is a Dyno Day where they charge $50/three runs. I wanted to get a baseline dyno before modding. The dyno runs are in 2nd gear, since WOT in 3rd makes it down-shift.

The numbers are SAE corrected. Uncorrected, they were 185 HP and 180 TQ! There was some nice cold air in there.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:06 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

nice

To get a good run in 3rd though you need to start it off at a speed above where the shift mapping will kick it down to 2nd. Your results might have been even a little higher in 3rd gear

2nd gear lets you check out the low-end torque curve though which is also useful to see, esp on mods that seem to take away low-end power (JWT Popcharger ??)
Old 01-19-2002, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey that is not a bad Dyno chart and numbers. Is that for a straight up K&N Panel filter drop in? Or also a OSCAI? Cause in a Sense that is like a Benchmark Dyno of what all 2K1 Autos are coming in at. I mean since you got a AE which is rated at 227 (dont know how) your tranny loss is about 21.6% if you rate it again the normal 222 engine (which is what I really think it is) your tranny loss is only 19.8%! I mean that is unbelievable. I thought all the AUTOs on the .org were doing about a 25% loss.

SteVTEC, Lets say he did start off in 3rd above the kick down point, then would your chart not start at like almost 3k rpms?

Also how much higher do you think the numbers might have been? You got any info/websites on how these DynoJets work and what SAE corrected means and all this good stuff? I have never dynoed my car. Done by my bike, but that is simple.

Dixit
Old 01-19-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Hey that is not a bad Dyno chart and numbers. Is that for a straight up K&N Panel filter drop in? Or also a OSCAI? Cause in a Sense that is like a Benchmark Dyno of what all 2K1 Autos are coming in at. I mean since you got a AE which is rated at 227 (dont know how) your tranny loss is about 21.6% if you rate it again the normal 222 engine (which is what I really think it is) your tranny loss is only 19.8%! I mean that is unbelievable. I thought all the AUTOs on the .org were doing about a 25% loss.

SteVTEC, Lets say he did start off in 3rd above the kick down point, then would your chart not start at like almost 3k rpms?

Also how much higher do you think the numbers might have been? You got any info/websites on how these DynoJets work and what SAE corrected means and all this good stuff? I have never dynoed my car. Done by my bike, but that is simple.

Dixit
That's with OSCAI too, but I don't think it had much affect on the dyno runs. The hood was open and the air was cold.
Yeah, the numbers are better than I expected, after hearing what other autos produce.
They tried running in 3rd, but I told them I wanted to start at 2000 rpm. Even at 3000 rpm, I think it'll downshift 3-2.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:29 PM
Got Bent?

good numbers! Especially for a 2nd gear run If you take it past 65 mph and then floor it, it may not downshift into 2nd.... you should get numbers from 2500 rpm onwards in 3rd that way.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by ru4real
That's with OSCAI too
OSCAI + K&N disqualifies you as stock

Old 01-19-2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
OSCAI + K&N disqualifies you as stock

Steve, any info on how these dynos work and which ones are better and what all this SAE corrected jargon means? You know of any website? I tried searching the net, did not find much.

Dixit
Old 01-19-2002, 12:33 PM

That are some pretty good numbers.

On out autos, the 3rd gear is closest 1:1 ratio.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:41 PM

Steve, any info on how these dynos work and which ones are better and what all this SAE corrected jargon means? You know of any website? I tried searching the net, did not find much.

Dixit
SAE J1349 Revision JUN90 corrects the dyno run for the following atmospheric conditions:
Barometric Pressure 29.235" Hg
Temperature 77 deg F
0% Relative Humidity
0 ft altitude (sea level)

It makes the dyno data useful in comparing to others who run in different conditions.
Old 01-19-2002, 01:43 PM

Aight, maybe Kev can comment on this post. Why did you dyno with a Ypipe, RTcat, UDP, Stillen Muffler and only come up with a 181.5? That makes you only like 3hp better than RU4REAL's OSCAI 2001 AE AUTO. Something is wrong with your dyno chart.

Only reason I am asking is because next week I will have all the same things as you did on that dyno chart of yours last year, but I will be dissappointed if I get the numbers you did.

I want to expect about a 195whp with those mods compared to the dyno RU4REAL got.

Dixit
Old 01-19-2002, 09:28 PM

Aight, maybe Kev can comment on this post. Why did you dyno with a Ypipe, RTcat, UDP, Stillen Muffler and only come up with a 181.5? That makes you only like 3hp better than RU4REAL's OSCAI 2001 AE AUTO. Something is wrong with your dyno chart.
The further away you are from the SAE correction point that ru4real outlined, the less accurate your dyno will be. The SAE correction isn't 100% accurate, so you'll still get the most accurate results if you dyno as close to the SAE corrected conditions as possible, and then still add in the SAE correction to the results

He does have the AE too, which does also have the extra 5 HP although i guess there's been some debates in the past on whether the AE really does have 5 extra HP or not. hehe.

Anyways, as for dyno's, there are a lot of different dyno brands, but from what I've read and researched, Dynojet dyno's are generally considered to be the most accurate. Each dyno type calculates power in different ways also, and that gets you different results. And the dyno must be calibrated also.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:36 PM

Only reason I am asking is because next week I will have all the same things as you did on that dyno chart of yours last year, but I will be dissappointed if I get the numbers you did.

I want to expect about a 195whp with those mods compared to the dyno RU4REAL got.

Dixit
Didn't Kev also have a CAI for that dyno run? If it's the one posted on his cardomain page, then he did. His car is a 2K (rated 222hp) that had 39K on it and my AE (rated 227hp) is almost to 15K miles, whether that matters or not.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

colder air makes up for alot more hps than if u had hotter air..
lucky..my intake temp was close to 84F...and i didn't even get a fan..
Old 01-19-2002, 11:25 PM
Telus.net

Damn, sweet ride Irvine!

Yeah, awesome dyno too!

Old 01-19-2002, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Telus.net
Damn, sweet ride Irvine!

Yeah, awesome dyno too!
thanks!
oh btw..my dyno was 204fwhp and 201lbs-ft tq w/ 84F intake temp and no fan...shiet..i want to dyno my car again with much colder air to see how much more i can make..
Old 01-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Telus.net

Originally posted by irvine78

thanks!
oh btw..my dyno was 204fwhp and 201lbs-ft tq w/ 84F intake temp and no fan...shiet..i want to dyno my car again with much colder air to see how much more i can make..

204 is damn good if you ask me! The body kit looks like 300hp!

Old 01-19-2002, 11:45 PM

204 is damn good if you ask me! The body kit looks like 300hp!
that was the very first dyno without a fan...if i had some cold air, i'd have been happier. but the dyno was inside the shop and hardly any breeze..plus 84F intake temp didn't help much either..
Old 01-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Telus.net

Okay,

I have an auto. I want more low end torque to improve fuel economy. Will the CAI help me gain more low end torque?

Old 01-19-2002, 11:55 PM

Okay,

I have an auto. I want more low end torque to improve fuel economy. Will the CAI help me gain more low end torque?
hmmm...not so sure..i think the CAI fairs better in the low-end torque department than a Stillen intake...my low-end was like hell until i put in the pulley and the fuel pressure regulators..i don't know if these mods contributed to my improved low-end torque..but i saw almost 20lbs-ft tq increase after my GReddy, pulley and the fuel pressure regulators..
Old 01-20-2002, 12:56 AM

Under hood intakes tend to give you the best mid-range respone with a balance of high-end and low-end power. CAI type intakes tend to give you the best high-end power, but at the expense of low-end power.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:29 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Dixit
Either his car is a factory freak or the dyno in 2nd gear threw the whole dyno way off.

You're going to be disappointed because the highest auto dyno I've seen is 190.1 (nc00max and here's his thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=57838. He dynoed 182 before his tranny fix: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=55330 ). The average stock dyno is from 160-170 hp. There's no possible way you can get 195.

Let's say I put down 166.5 stock, so y pipe, CAI, UDP, cat, and muffler gave me 15 whp... which is about right.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Either his car is a factory freak or the dyno in 2nd gear threw the whole dyno way off.

You're going to be disappointed because the highest auto dyno I've seen is 190.1 (nc00max and here's his thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=57838. He dynoed 182 before his tranny fix: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=55330 ). The average stock dyno is from 160-170 hp. There's no possible way you can get 195.

Let's say I put down 166.5 stock, so y pipe, CAI, UDP, cat, and muffler gave me 15 whp... which is about right.
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN, I was hoping on pushing about 195whp on my maxima. But like you said nc00max pushed 190.1 with nothing but a freagin OSCAI. I am kinda disappointed that a Ypipe, UDP, Testpipe, Muffler only give 15whp, but I guess I cant ask for too much.

I really hope when I get the CAI also, I can push at least 190whp. Then I will be happy. Then I wanna get boost like Kevy Kev.

Dixit
Old 01-20-2002, 11:42 AM

The next time I dyno, I'll do it in 2nd gear for direct comparison to my first dyno, and I'll also try 3rd gear at 3000rpm or above so it doesn't downshift. I want to see if 3rd gear changes the results significantly.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:06 PM

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN, I was hoping on pushing about 195whp on my maxima. But like you said nc00max pushed 190.1 with nothing but a freagin OSCAI. I am kinda disappointed that a Ypipe, UDP, Testpipe, Muffler only give 15whp, but I guess I cant ask for too much.

I really hope when I get the CAI also, I can push at least 190whp. Then I will be happy. Then I wanna get boost like Kevy Kev.

Dixit
if ur gonna go SC, then why bother even buying the CAI?
Old 01-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Dixit
Booooooooooooooooost.

You might not want to get a CAI (like what Hoon said), unless you want to leave a gigantic hole in your car.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

The next time I dyno, I'll do it in 2nd gear for direct comparison to my first dyno, and I'll also try 3rd gear at 3000rpm or above so it doesn't downshift. I want to see if 3rd gear changes the results significantly.
Defintely have it done in 3rd gear because that will give you the most accurate numbers. If you check out my SC dyno graph on my homepage, you'll notice that the shop couldn't sample until 3500 rpm.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:11 PM

Booooooooooooooooost.

You might not want to get a CAI (like what Hoon said), unless you want to leave a gigantic hole in your car.
just like Kev's car!!
Old 01-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

just like Kev's car!!
Blah!
Old 01-20-2002, 12:48 PM

Good numbers Jeff. Finally I see someone post about the dyno place in Hanover, MA. Is the next dyno with Stevie's new intake? Drop me an email next time and we can meet up. I want to check out your dynoing and hopefully a few other members.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:47 PM

Booooooooooooooooost.

Yeah I know, but just like you, it will take a couple of months before I get the S/C, so in the mean time might just get the CAI.

Dixit
Old 01-20-2002, 05:44 PM

3rd is the 1:1 ratio ur numbers are off ihad my auto (when i had it done in 3rd) those numbers are a little too high!
Old 01-20-2002, 06:43 PM

WOW, drop-in K&N adds 6 hp.

Is the OSCAI doing anything here or is the K&N alone the reason for extra the 6 hp?
Old 01-20-2002, 07:30 PM

Re: WOW, drop-in K&N adds 6 hp.

Originally posted by Stealth Max
Good numbers Jeff. Finally I see someone post about the dyno place in Hanover, MA. Is the next dyno with Stevie's new intake? Drop me an email next time and we can meet up. I want to check out your dynoing and hopefully a few other members.
Yes, the experience at ACS Racing could've been better. They made me wait about two hours before I could get on the dyno, because there was a Mustang GT on there and they couldn't figure out why the new supercharger was acting weird. Then they got into a long discussion about a small-block V8 intake manifold that had a hole in it. If you go there to dyno, see if you can make an appointment. Didn't someone post that if we get 10 ppl together, we can reserve the dyno for a day?
My next dyno will be with the FrankenCAR Stage 2 Intake. Do you want to go?

Originally posted by jkratzer
Is the OSCAI doing anything here or is the K&N alone the reason for extra the 6 hp?
6hp? No, my dyno chart shows two runs for the same setup (K&N panel, OSCAI). It just happened to make better numbers on one run. I don't think the OSCAI contributes much if any, under dyno conditions.
I believe the K&N panel filter was dyno'd by Import Tuner magazine to gain 4 hp on the 5th gen Maxima.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:01 PM

Re: Re: WOW, drop-in K&N adds 6 hp.

Yes, the experience at ACS Racing could've been better. They made me wait about two hours before I could get on the dyno, because there was a Mustang GT on there and they couldn't figure out why the new supercharger was acting weird. Then they got into a long discussion about a small-block V8 intake manifold that had a hole in it. If you go there to dyno, see if you can make an appointment. Didn't someone post that if we get 10 ppl together, we can reserve the dyno for a day?
My next dyno will be with the FrankenCAR Stage 2 Intake. Do you want to go?

Well the dyno place did notify me that the Saturday special is on a first come first serve basis. I was the one posted that if we can get ten cars to dyno then we can reserve a day for ourselves. Everybody wanted to go on their own time or for other reasons so we never did anything official like reserving a day like other car clubs. Yes I would like to go check it out next time you go dyno your car and maybe steve's 2k2 again.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: WOW, drop-in K&N adds 6 hp.

Originally posted by Stealth Max

Well the dyno place did notify me that the Saturday special is on a first come first serve basis. I was the one posted that if we can get ten cars to dyno then we can reserve a day for ourselves. Everybody wanted to go on their own time or for other reasons so we never did anything official like reserving a day like other car clubs. Yes I would like to go check it out next time you go dyno your car and maybe steve's 2k2 again.
The thing is, I was the first one there for dyno day. The owner of the Mustang worked there. The next dyno day should be Feb 2. Steve went to New England Dyno is Worcester.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:08 PM
nc00max

Dixit
Looks like I'm a little late to this thread, but I'd thought I'd comment anyways. My dyno was right after I finally got the damned dealer to replace my tranny after they jacked it up. The 190.1 was with OSCAI, Y-pipe, and UDP, not just OSCAI. I'm pretty curious to see what I get now that I've replaced the OSCAI with the Cattman CAI, and added the RT Cat. The shop where I'm getting my NOS kit installed Friday has a dyno, so maybe I'll do some before and after stuff and see where I'm at.

Old 01-26-2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by nc00max

Looks like I'm a little late to this thread, but I'd thought I'd comment anyways. My dyno was right after I finally got the damned dealer to replace my tranny after they jacked it up. The 190.1 was with OSCAI, Y-pipe, and UDP, not just OSCAI. I'm pretty curious to see what I get now that I've replaced the OSCAI with the Cattman CAI, and added the RT Cat. The shop where I'm getting my NOS kit installed Friday has a dyno, so maybe I'll do some before and after stuff and see where I'm at.
Never too late for me, so......... This is an auto max correct?

Dixit
Old 01-26-2002, 03:14 PM
nc00max

Never too late for me, so......... This is an auto max correct?

Dixit
Yes it is.

I was thinking, that with the 60-shot, I should pull at least 235fwhp, and at least that much torque. !

Old 01-26-2002, 08:09 PM

thanks!
On my car I made an ACTUAL 204 whp with an 89 F intake temp. With a 72 F intake temp and much less humidity, the ACTUAL output jumped to 211 whp.

However, when both these runs were corrected to SAE conditions, they both came in right at 205 whp.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by madmax2k

On my car I made an ACTUAL 204 whp with an 89 F intake temp. With a 72 F intake temp and much less humidity, the ACTUAL output jumped to 211 whp.

However, when both these runs were corrected to SAE conditions, they both came in right at 205 whp.
This hasssssssssssssssssss to be a 5spd right? Cause if this is an auto, we neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to talk.

Dixit