5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Battery dead...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Battery dead...

Today it was a bad day for me... I was at the gas station filling up the gas my car won't start but lucky I had a guy who can jump start for me. It was 8PM at night and my HID's only 1 lights came on and sometimes both comes on and then both just flicker and went off while driving. It was hard for me to drive at night time to go autozone buy a new battery.

I just bought yellow top battery for my car this time.

Then I dropped my friend off and he texted me said one of my brake lights went out but oddly he said when I had my flashers on both brake lights would come on however, when the flashers is off one brake lights is out.

Do you think it the battery causing HID's not working properly? I've never had a HID issues for almost a year. The ballast is worth $150 not a cheap kits.

I hope it not the alternator!!
Old 04-10-2014, 06:24 PM

easiest way to check the alt is put a voltmeter on the battery with the car running, anything less than 13v youre not charging enough. a bad alt will cause funky lighting problems
Old 04-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
easiest way to check the alt is put a voltmeter on the battery with the car running, anything less than 13v youre not charging enough. a bad alt will cause funky lighting problems
Thank you I will look into that tomorrow first thing in the morning. Just lets pray it not the alternator! I know I have crazy 5,000 RMS Watts car audio system in my car but I have 2 extra batteries in the back for push-up to provide power and also I'm running big3 upgrade.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 PM

if you dont want to test the alternator yourself, im pretty sure Autozone does free alternator testing anyways
Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Garrettz459

Thank you I will look into that tomorrow first thing in the morning. Just lets pray it not the alternator! I know I have crazy 5,000 RMS Watts car audio system in my car but I have 2 extra batteries in the back for push-up to provide power and also I'm running big3 upgrade.
Alternator problems are common on any car. You should actually hope it is the alternator if anything. Easy diagnose and easy fix. Check for any corrosion on ur battery cable. Make sure cables are tight.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:39 AM

Check the alternator. My 4th gen did the same thing once. Lights flickering then both shut off, then the whole car shut off.

Changed the battery and that same week it died again. It was the Alt.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:27 AM

You guys are right it is the alternator! I checked with my meter I was getting 11.5v which it is not normal and also it was making a buzzing noise from the alternator. I guess I"ll have to buy a new one today then!

Should I get 200A this time? It not so pricey it about $150.

Update...

2 belts were crack I had to get them replaced and the alternator were dying I wanted to get it done better than nothing. The total cost me $600!!

I'm having a professional install the alternator for me because I'm not so expert on that kind electrical stuff.

Last edited by Garrettz459; 04-11-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Been There

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just wanted to share I had similar problems with my 2011 Altima before I got into my Max. My Altima went through 4 batteries before I got out of it. Just woudn't turn for me one morning. I had all lights, radio, everything worked but wouldn't turn. I had taken it to the Nissan dealership I had gotten the Altima, and the right away they charged me to drop in a new battery (obviously took advantage of me right away). A few months later same thing happened. I decided to go to autozone for a cheaper battery. Purchased and installed it before I found out they do the free alternator test. Didn't matter that I found out late, because sure enough I stuck trying to start a dead car. Took it to get the alternator checked at autozone and they confirmed that was my problem. So here I take it back to my Nissan dealership and explain my situation, almost expecting some kind of reimbursement or a free new battery at least. Well they wanted to do an entire system check, only to waste my time and come back to me with the suggestion to buy another new battery because they couldn't find the problem. I wasn't doing that... so I jumped the car for about a week straight before I was told to take it to a different dealer. Took it to a Cochran close to me, they checked the entire car and couldn't find a problem with it. Even said the alternator was running fine. However they replaced my battery for free because apparently it was under warranty the entire time. How about them apples?

Needless to say I didn't take my business back to the Nissan dealer to get into my Max. And I have bad luck with batteries lol.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Garrettz459
You guys are right it is the alternator! I checked with my meter I was getting 11.5v which it is not normal and also it was making a buzzing noise from the alternator. I guess I"ll have to buy a new one today then!

Should I get 200A this time? It not so pricey it about $150.

Update...

2 belts were crack I had to get them replaced and the alternator were dying I wanted to get it done better than nothing. The total cost me $600!!

I'm having a professional install the alternator for me because I'm not so expert on that kind electrical stuff.
thought so. 11.5v and buzzing means the alternator is toast. alternator isnt that bad to do, couple bolts, unbolt the hot wire, and undo the wiring harness. its been a while since i did one on a 5th gen but i think its easier to get the alternator out through the wheelwell and way easier with a hoist