5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tranny problem?

Hi,

I have a weird tranny problem. A couple of month ago, the transmission started to slip a little between the first-second shift and the second-third. After some time it started to slip more and more. I taught it needed oil. I would say a month ago I finally checked the oil and the line was under the hashes by the same leight of the hashes, I'm not sure if I'm clear... Enyway, I know that on a car engin the hashes mesure 1liter so I taught I was 1 liter too low to get to the bottom of the hashes. So I put 1liter of castrol tranny fluid nissan certified. I rechecked the oil and it looked really full, so full I couldn't see the top line... I taught well maybe by driving the oil will level it self. The car felt like new again, so I taught "great, problem solved". After a couple of minutes it started to slip again but a lot less then before! So I taught, "Ok, maybe it needed 2 liters..." So today, I bought 2 more liters because I think I remember that I heard in the past that tranny dipstick have hashes for 2 liters, so I shouls still be under the hashes... Tonight, I check the oil to see how much I need and I couldn't see the line because the level was too high... I taught it could be because the car was parked for 2h and the fuild didn't move.... So I went for a little ride, about 15 km highway and little roads. When I got home I couldn't see the line because it was still too high... WTF....???

Now I don't know what to do...

To check the oil I made sure the car was hot, on level ground and I checked the oil with the engin shut down.

The transmission could need a rebuilt but the car is a 2002 I35 with 55000km. I bought it from the old lady who bought it new. And it's not slipping under hard acceleration (more then 50% of pedal) or when the car is really cold or if I'm doing more agresive driving ( it's like if the oil get hot and it shift perfectly until the temperature come back to normal)....

Seriously, I don't know what to do or what to think...

Thanks for your help...

Last edited by iceturbo; 04-17-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 PM

First of all, you need to drain the fluid out completely and start over. It sounds to me like you are currently running 2 and a half liters more than you should be.

There is a lot of information about the poor shifting with the auto transmission in these cars. It can be alleviated with fluid flushing, and sometimes with a valve body service or replacement.

The most important thing to do is to research BEFORE attempting to repair something so important. I don't mean to be mean or rude or harsh or whatever, but if it was already too high before, then adding more fluid thinking that would fix the problem was foolish at best.

Also, when checking transmission fluid on an automatic transmission, the transmission should ideally be cold and on a level surface. If the transmission is warm and the fluid is moving around then the level reading can be inaccurate either high or low. You want the fluid to settle in the pan as much as possible to get the best idea of how much fluid is in the transmission.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:55 PM

^
+1 and save up for valve body kit or mod.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dfj240
First of all, you need to drain the fluid out completely and start over. It sounds to me like you are currently running 2 and a half liters more than you should be.

There is a lot of information about the poor shifting with the auto transmission in these cars. It can be alleviated with fluid flushing, and sometimes with a valve body service or replacement.

The most important thing to do is to research BEFORE attempting to repair something so important. I don't mean to be mean or rude or harsh or whatever, but if it was already too high before, then adding more fluid thinking that would fix the problem was foolish at best.

Also, when checking transmission fluid on an automatic transmission, the transmission should ideally be cold and on a level surface. If the transmission is warm and the fluid is moving around then the level reading can be inaccurate either high or low. You want the fluid to settle in the pan as much as possible to get the best idea of how much fluid is in the transmission.
Thank you very much for your reply!

For the fluid level, at the biginning, it was under the hashes. When I put the 1 liter it went over the hashes. I bought 2 other liters but I didn't put a drop in the tranny because I couldn't figure out how much was missing. So I shouldn't have too much oil...

Tomorow, I'll check the FSM but if I'm remembering correctly, it sais to run the car until it's warm, pass it throu each gear, shut it down and check the fluid level. On my dipstick, there are 2 notch for the cold level and the hashes for the hot level.

I'm not bad in mechanic, I did a lot of things on many cars and I don't mean replacing the spark plugs! But I'm a technician in mechanical ingeneering, not a real mechanic so some times I have a hard time to find what's wrong!

Thank you for your help!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 PM

^
As long as the fluid (bright redish color) is up to where it says hot when the car is up to operating temp isn't it fine? Mine is filled up all the way up the last hashes on the hot...

Last edited by george__; 04-17-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by george__
^
As long as the fluid (bright redish color) is up to where it says hot when the car is up to operating temp isn't it fine? Mine is filled up all the way up the last hashes on the hot...
I wouldn't say that the fluid is bright red, i would say more pink but defenatly not brown or beige.

My problem is that with 1 liter it when from under the hashes to the S shape of the stick... It's like if I added 5 or 6 liters...
Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by iceturbo
I wouldn't say that the fluid is bright red, i would say more pink but defenatly not brown or beige.

My problem is that with 1 liter it when from under the hashes to the S shape of the stick... It's like if I added 5 or 6 liters...
Hmm I had to add a entire 4L + some more fluid before the reading stabilized