5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve

Hello again everyone. I have a question about the intake valve timing control solenoid valve. Has anyone had any experience replacing this part and is there a process to follow. I had this code come up and according to tech notes they say just change the oil and clear the code. Just incase this does not work I and looking to find out if its just as simple as unbolting the part and replacing it or is there a process to follow so I don't mess anything up. thanks for all the help.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by shaunmc1
Hello again everyone. I have a question about the intake valve timing control solenoid valve. Has anyone had any experience replacing this part and is there a process to follow. I had this code come up and according to tech notes they say just change the oil and clear the code. Just incase this does not work I and looking to find out if its just as simple as unbolting the part and replacing it or is there a process to follow so I don't mess anything up. thanks for all the help.
You will have to clean it out. Copypasta from my post in the p0300 thread:

Disassemble VTC solenoids and clean with lots of brake cleaner or w/e. Merely spraying them out still in one piece isn't enough sometimes. Put power to them and make sure it's actuating, then you know it's still working.

I assume you have the timing over advanced code?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:05 PM

p0011

the only code im getting is the p0011 code. thanks for the info. so I can simply unbolt it clean it and put it back on?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Bad *** Newb

the only code im getting is the p0011 code. thanks for the info. so I can simply unbolt it clean it and put it back on?
That's the code.

Yes, unbolt and clean. You can try to just spray it out without disassembling it. I used a lot of brake cleaner and let it soak for a while, too. I've had luck with that before, but it doesn't always work. I guess you can try it the easy way 1st.
I would clean both so you're not doing the other one later.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:17 PM

P0011

The engine (VQ35DE) have two camshaft sensor

P0011 (Camshaft Advanced Timing Bank 1)
p0021 (Camshaft Advanced Timing Bank 2)

Replace the two Camshaft Sensor
Both on the driver side
Both with rubber O ring
Both with green tab on the Connector ( to remove it PUSH down the green tab and pull the connector)
Camshaft Sensor Bank 2 (near the radiator with angle connector)
Camshaft Sensor Bank 1 (near the firewall with straight connector: need to remove the air filter assembly)

Replace the Crankshaft position sensor (below the engine in front of the radiator: Straight sensor without O ring

Replace it with oem parts.

See this link (page 167)
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2002/EC.pd
Old 05-04-2014, 11:19 PM

thanks

I hope cleaning this part will clear the code and also hope putting catalyst converters back on the car clears the smoke issue I have only driven the car 2 times without the cats on it both times I had smoke coming from the tail pipe. seems to me that they play a critical role for proper back pressure thus not allowing oil to pass thru valves. I had a 1982 Datsun 280zx that I put headers and no cats it smoked very little nothing like this maxima. I hope it didn't damage the engine
Old 05-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Bad *** Newb

I hope cleaning this part will clear the code and also hope putting catalyst converters back on the car clears the smoke issue I have only driven the car 2 times without the cats on it both times I had smoke coming from the tail pipe. seems to me that they play a critical role for proper back pressure thus not allowing oil to pass thru valves. I had a 1982 Datsun 280zx that I put headers and no cats it smoked very little nothing like this maxima. I hope it didn't damage the engine
It sounds like the old cats already toasted your rings/cylinder walls. Typical pos cats. The only thing the cats are gonna do besides kill performance is burn the stuff more so it isn't noticeable. They will clog up with that kind of consumption eventually.

You need to install an oil catch can.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-05-2014 at 03:27 PM.