5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Desperate and in need of HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Desperate and in need of HELP

I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima, 3.5L engine, V6, DOHC and I think I'm getting ready to blow a head or the head gasket but i'm not sure. There is no signs of water in my oil and my car isn't over heating. I've noticed that my oil looks thin and when my car reaches normal operating temperature that the oil gauge starts to flash on and off whenever I'm coming to a stop. Sometimes it idles low like it's going to cut off and my car smells like it's burning oil. I listed all the repairs I've done recently. 5/13/14, I changed both valve cover gaskets (front and rear) and the rear valve cover. I changed my oil using 10/40 and the oil filter, I changed the MAP sensor and the charcoal canister. 5/19/14, I changed 2 oxygen sensors: bank 2/sensor 2 & bank 1/ sensor 1. Then my car was hard to start, like it was out of gas. 5/24/14, I changed the camshaft position sensor (front/bank 2). The engine starts right up but it's making "clacking" sounds. Yesterday while driving I noticed a little white smoke coming from the tail pipe on acceleration but then it stops. I was told to flush my engine and use that "head gasket repair" solution and to change my oil again and that should solve my problem, but I think that the "clacking" noise I'm hearing might be my lifters. Can anyone give me any feed back regarding my issue?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:01 AM

doesnt really sound like headgasket to me, sounds more like youre getting low oil pressure and burning oil. the clacking could be the lifters being starved for oil or timing chain noise
Old 06-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Oil Pressure

Thank you for replying to my post. I knew the oil had something to do with my problem, I just didn't know what. So would you recommend replacing my oil pressure sending unit or the oil pump before doing a head job?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by jupsher42
Thank you for replying to my post. I knew the oil had something to do with my problem, I just didn't know what. So would you recommend replacing my oil pressure sending unit or the oil pump before doing a head job?
And I think this should be done ASAP. Bad oil pressure, I understand, could cause an engine /fire explosion. Here let me draw your attention to what the manual says:
Engine oil pressure warning light warns of low engine oil pressure. If the light flickers or comes on during normal driving, pull off the road in a safe area, stop the engine immediately. Running the engine with the oil pressure warning light on could cause serious damage to the engine almost immediately. Turn off the engine as soon as it is safe to do so.

Last edited by Costee; 06-03-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'd say keep an eye on your oil level. And record when it needs oil, etc, how many miles, over how long and how much. These cars aren't huge on killing oil pressure sending units. The reason for the low oil at low idle/TRPM levels is low oil, not nessesaily the pressure. Low oil level causes low oil pressure.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 AM
STFU n00b!

If your oil LOOKS thin, then start there. you could have contaminated it with fuel or water or something... really thin oil will kill your oil pressure and cause those symptoms.

You changed the valve cover gaskets-- Any chance you hosed the top of the engine down with any cleaners or solvents while the valve covers were off that might mix with and thin the oil?

drain the oil, replace oil and filter with proper weight oil (read the manual, don't just dump in more 10/40. That's really thick oil for a Japanese engine.).

Now restart the car and see what happens.

to response to above.. low oil pressure can be caused by low idle, thin oil, and less likely low oil levels. If the oil levels are low enough that your pressure is low at idle, you have WAY more issues when the car starts running. you'll suck the oil pan dry in a couple seconds at higher RPM if that's the case.