5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I30 clock install issue:(

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 PM

I30 clock install issue:(

Name:  20140701_151550_zpssiiitq7m.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  97.0 KB

Ventured out of my typical DIY zone and did this today. Not too shabby if I do say so myself! But I ran into an issue! I was tricked into thinking the wiring was perfect ( I used the stock led clock wiring). Basically the clock illuminates when the key is in the ignition, which is good and what I want. The trickery came in when I pulled out my key and the clock kept ticking the way its supposed to!.. Little did I know it only works when the headlights are on, which they were on because I wanted to see the awesomeness of all the matching blues together-_-

In other words.. I need a source of constant power to get to my clock somehow.
Anyone have any suggestions that wont leave me with a dead battery?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Suspension Yoda

I'm assuming the clock has 3 wires, yes? Positive/negative/illumination.

I would use the radio wires. There's a +12v, and an illumination. It will work exactly how your radio illuminates.

The clock should not draw THAT much power that it drains the battery - given the I30 is wired the same way.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl

I would use the radio wires. There's a +12v, and an illumination. It will work exactly how your radio illuminates.

The clock should not draw THAT much power that it drains the battery - given the I30 is wired the same way.
so that being said where can I draw power from? Are the radio wires always hot or only on ignition?

Also.. I noticed that since ive removed the clock my trip meter resets to zero everytime I start the car. What gives?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 PM

The i30 clock has 4 wires btw. 2 for illumination and 2 for the clock aspect
Old 07-03-2014, 01:29 PM

the clock look nice but kind of outta of place for my taste where it's right on the bottom, I thought it was placed on the top between the vent on the I30?
Old 07-04-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
the clock look nice but kind of outta of place for my taste where it's right on the bottom, I thought it was placed on the top between the vent on the I30?
Its around where yoh said on the i30.. but the parts dont swap directly. I imagine if you swapped the whole dash itd be doable but thats too much effort for something small.

Otherwise a fuse blew and thats why the trip Meter kept reseting. Something was wrong internally with the clocks board. It burned itself up. So I need to get another clock now:/
Old 07-07-2014, 05:06 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Honestly, not worth the effort IMO. You already have a digital readout at the top of your dash. This is just redundant, AND kills the use of your ashtray/coin holder.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 AM

^^ Honestly, not worth the effort IMO. You already have a digital readout at the top of your dash. This is just redundant, AND kills the use of your ashtray/coin holder.
Thats your opinion. but the ashtray is still the same size. True that its narrower.. but its deeper. It actually is nicer than the old because it gives me a place for my phone on top of holding change. The extra din slot would let my phone slide around and be extra noisy Im doing this for fun anyway. The digital readout is fine with the exception of the ugly green. I put some lee filters in to make it blue. It looked perfect at night.. but during the day you cant see it. Hence the reason im using the i30 clock!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Suspension Yoda

I've got the filter too, plenty bright during the day.

To each their own.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM

I've got the filter too, plenty bright during the day.

To each their own.
Which color?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 PM

When I was into old german cars the analog clock was all the hipster rage and people
would replace their obd temp/mpg with a clock.. or the oil temp with a clock....
Some people would do double clocks.

Their was this guy at the meets he replaced every gauge with a clock (rpm/mph) and also drilled holes in his dash to put in more analog clocks. There's more...
He drilled holes in his front bumper and put 9 clocks in it facing forward.. There's even more.

He wore those hologram glasses with clocks. We called him clock man. I think he did it to show how retarded the analog clock fad was or he was just crazy. lol
Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Suspension Yoda

I did it a long time ago. I think it was a red saran wrap? And it made the clock display blue.

Also I cut the dimmer wire so the clock didn't dim at night. Long long time ago.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
When I was into old german cars the analog clock was all the hipster rage and people
would replace their obd temp/mpg with a clock.. or the oil temp with a clock....
Some people would do double clocks.

Their was this guy at the meets he replaced every gauge with a clock (rpm/mph) and also drilled holes in his dash to put in more analog clocks. There's more...
He drilled holes in his front bumper and put 9 clocks in it facing forward.. There's even more.

He wore those hologram glasses with clocks. We called him clock man. I think he did it to show how retarded the analog clock fad was or he was just crazy. lol
Thats funny, yet ridiculous! I mean he may not know his oil temp but at least he'll always know the time!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:10 AM

I did it a long time ago. I think it was a red saran wrap? And it made the clock display blue.

Also I cut the dimmer wire so the clock didn't dim at night. Long long time ago.
Hmm. I tried things similar to saran wrap and had difficulty getting the desired results. I did cut the dimmer wire which made it perfect at night. Ill try one more analog and if I have an issue ill venture toward trying out some red saran wrap