5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Where is the instrument gauge fuse located?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 PM

Where is the instrument gauge fuse located?

I think its under the hood next to the battery but which one? My bulbs keep turning off and I have to tap on the cluster to get them to flicker on again. I bought new bulbs from shinjduo here and I don't think they are the problem

Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 PM

There are 2 fuses that go to the instrument cluster. They are both inside the cabin, to the left of the steering wheel.

# 12, 10 amp, middle row, left most fuse
# 30, 10 amp, bottom row, 2nd from right end

But both of these fuses also power other things in the car, so if you were having a fuse problem, you would be having a lot of other different problems too.

The connector behind the temperature gauge has the power wires. I would inspect the connector for damaged wires and also inspect the printed circuit board around the plug for hairline cracks.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There are 2 fuses that go to the instrument cluster. They are both inside the cabin, to the left of the steering wheel.

# 12, 10 amp, middle row, left most fuse
# 30, 10 amp, bottom row, 2nd from right end

But both of these fuses also power other things in the car, so if you were having a fuse problem, you would be having a lot of other different problems too.

The connector behind the temperature gauge has the power wires. I would inspect the connector for damaged wires and also inspect the printed circuit board around the plug for hairline cracks.
I cant find the #30 fuse, is it labeled 30? The #12 fuse is labeled 12. Also, I'm not having any other problems so maybe it isnt the fuses? I know the 30 fuse is an extremely busy one, is it possible that that one can only affect a single thing in the car even though it's needed for a ton more?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:14 PM

Personally my thoughts would be that you have a bad connection inside the cab at the cluster as you have stated that you have to keep tapping the cluster to get the thing to light back up ... tapping or wiggling something to get it to work normally means a bad connection be it a wire or a bad solder job ... recheck the mounting of your new replacement bulbs for a bad connection.

Last edited by Ghost_54; 08-27-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Maxima Grounding Kit Spec

Originally Posted by Andy29
I think its under the hood next to the battery but which one? My bulbs keep turning off and I have to tap on the cluster to get them to flicker on again. I bought new bulbs from shinjduo here and I don't think they are the problem

Thanks
Let me know what color you have and your shipping information. I'll send you another set so you can see if a bad connection is the problem. PM me when you get a chance.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Andy29
I cant find the #30 fuse, is it labeled 30? The #12 fuse is labeled 12. Also, I'm not having any other problems so maybe it isnt the fuses? I know the 30 fuse is an extremely busy one, is it possible that that one can only affect a single thing in the car even though it's needed for a ton more?
A fuse problem will affect everything connected to it. But I don't think you have a fuse problem because tapping on the instrument cluster wouldn't be felt by the fuse. The vibrations created by tapping the cluster is "wiggling" something that is loose with or on the cluster. Check the connection behind the temperature gauge.

Regarding fuse # 30, see this layout diagram on the top part of page 3.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Max...01/foldout.pdf