5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help with my head unit wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help with my head unit wiring

I have and 02 maxima se 6 spd manual and the STANDARD head unit just went so I put a simple Sony head unit in and the cars wiring harness has 3 connectors and the harness only used 2 and I thought the third one was for the steering wheel control for the stereo not the trip button or maybe I shorted something out and the climate control back lights aren't coming on please help
Old 08-30-2014, 12:04 PM

Correct the third is simply for the steering wheel control modules (which you can retain function of still btw; trip computer is easy...ask me if you need help) the actual stereo controls on steering can be kept with a pac steering wheel module if your deck allows that..

As your other issue...first thing would be to double check wiring to ensure all harness are snapped in place. If its just the lights but the module still functions...then somehow you may have accidently shorted something out blowing the bulbs..iv done the same thing on my cluster. works but one bulb socket is fried
Old 09-03-2014, 05:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes i need help

Yes i need help the cruise controls still work on the steering wheel but the volume and mode and trip buttons don't work but is the trip button and the volume buttons wired together or should the trip button still work the guy at best buy that does the installs wasn't much help lol first he sold me the wrong wiring harness then I asked him these questions and he knew nothing about it I know there is a way to get the volume button to work but you need and adapter
Old 09-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Suspension Yoda

The noobosity is high in this thread.

Recommend you read through the Audio section to get a baseline understanding of what you are doing.

In order for trip computer to remain functional you need to ground the brown/white wire in the 3-wire secondary harness.

You need to use an Axxess ASWC module if you want your steering wheel controls to remain functional. You cannot just wire the steering wheel wires from the aftermarket head unit to the steering wheel wires in the car.

As for your climate control lights, they are finnicky. Recommend you search here - plenty of people have this issue. Sometimes the light comes back on with a firm smack to the climate control. Other times, you have to replace some or all bulbs.

Lastly, PLEASE start using proper punctuation to separate your thoughts. It is very hard to read and understand your very long run-on sentences. Help us help you.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

going to keep this one for ever... love the word.. noobosity... going to add that one to my sig.......lmao

djfrestyl;8981600]The noobosity is high in this thread.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Suspension Yoda

Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

I have tried looking for wiring diagrams on this forum and others I just can't find anything that shows what I want. I also can't find the third adapter piece anywhere, do you know what it is called? Sorry for the one sentence book lmao I get lazy when on cell phone. So I can get the trip button to work if I just ground the brown/white wire but where do I ground it to? It sucks cause I'm usually really good with this stuff until I got this car to be honest. Also I looked in the lighting section in the thread and can't find how to change the climate control bulbs. Thanks for the help. Btw I did smack it lol that's why the head unit went because it started to fade out so I would smack it and it would go back to normal lol. Same with the climate control light bulb on the fan speed side now none of the lights work
Old 09-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Suspension Yoda

I don't know why you need wiring diagrams.

It's called the Axxess ASWC, as I mentioned.
First hit on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-...ds=axxess+aswc

You ground the wire to a ground....

Your questions are very simplistic. I recommend you find an installer that knows what they're doing. I'm in Central NJ if you want to make the trip.