5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Allignment / front end / suspension problems & Acceeration CLUNK. What is the problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Allignment / front end / suspension problems & Acceeration CLUNK. What is the problem

Front end issue 1:
Keeping my 2003 Maxima tracking in a straight line is becoming increasingly difficult. The car tends to try to veer left or right. The problem seemed to become more pronounced a few months ago when I ran into / over a curb in a parking log. This occurred a low speed, and caused some minor rash on the front right wheel. Until recently I had not noticed any uneven wear of the front tires. Because I did notice the uneven wear as of a couple weeks ago, I brought the car to a local Goodyear for an alignment. The printout they gave me of the front end specs, in my novice interpretation, did not reveal any significant alignment problems. I have had the car aligned at this same location in the past. Sometimes I 'think' I see some improvement immediately after the alignment, but the car never feels quite right in this regard. I am not sure what is going on with the car, but this problem is certainly detracting from the enjoyably of my ride. I have had the front end / suspension visually 'inspected' several times, and the report is always the same. The mechanic always tells me 'I do not see any problem with it'.

Front end issue # 2:
There is a clunk kind of noise as I hit a small bump, or a small hole / pothole coming from the front right. It sounds to me JUST like the sound that a defective strut cap would make. I replaced the front struts about 1.5 years ago. It needed struts SO bad that I do not even remember if this particular sound was happening before I replaced the struts. But, I remember it happening immediately after. I went back to the guy who installed the shocks and had him replace the right strut cap even thought he told me that would not fix the problem. And, it did not fix the problem. It sounds like maybe some play in the strut or something. I am really hesitant to start taking this thing apart again without knowing, or having a pretty good idea what the problem may be.

Front end issue # 3:
I think this may be a MUCH more common issue with these maximas. When I am driving at about, say 24-40 miles an hour and I STOMP on the gas pedal, there is a loud, kind of CLUNK. Sounds like there is play in the transmission, universal joint(s) or something. I remember hearing this same thing in other maximas during text drives, Etc.

If anyone can tell me where to look for what is causing these problems, or any insight as to how to fix them, please let me know. The car has 92,xxx mile son it, is in Florida, and to my knowledge has always been in Florida.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:27 PM

check motor and trans mounts for play or torn rubber, strut mounts, check lower ball joints and control arm bushings...check the ball joints by either squeezing with a giant channel locks, or by trying to spread apart ball joint by putting pry bar between knuckle and ball joint connection, be careful not to rip rubber ball joint boots while doing this also make sure car is in the air with suspension hanging free. the ball joints should have no play in them, meaning they should pivot but not clunk up and down.

could you post the readings that they gave you for the alignment(toe, camber and caster), and also you should see if they gave you readings for the rear end...there are no adjustments for it, other than buying the pain in *** shims but your toe may be off in the rear adding to the pull.

does the steering wheel shake at any speeds in particular?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Ball joints, struts and mounts... thats the issue.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Yup, the acceleration clunking is definitely the motor mounts. Been there, done that.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
Ball joints, struts and mounts... thats the issue.
+1
After you get these done, consider getting a strut bar for extra stability.. I just got one today and it made one heaven of a difference.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:38 PM

1.improper installation,or worn or defective components.(wheel bearing perhaps)

2.sounds to me like strut mounts or sway bar links, i hated when this used to happen on a rainy day ,i felt i had no control..

3.engine mounts,if you have AT disconnect them asap
Old 09-03-2014, 04:46 PM

Mine made a clunk like #2 when the sway bar end links went bad
Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Sounds like motor mounts to me. I had a similar clunk and it ended up being a passenger motor mount. Replaced it with one from eBay and all has been well since.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by rbaksi
Sounds like motor mounts to me. I had a similar clunk and it ended up being a passenger motor mount. Replaced it with one from eBay and all has been well since.
I second the motion. Check out your passenger-side engine mount. In fact, just replace it; I had the same symptoms and wasted too much time and money chasing suspension issues, just like you.

BTW, the passenger-side mount is a common problem on our cars.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphinride
Front end issue 1:
Keeping my 2003 Maxima tracking in a straight line is becoming increasingly difficult. The car tends to try to veer left or right. The problem seemed to become more pronounced a few months ago when I ran into / over a curb in a parking log. This occurred a low speed, and caused some minor rash on the front right wheel. Until recently I had not noticed any uneven wear of the front tires. Because I did notice the uneven wear as of a couple weeks ago, I brought the car to a local Goodyear for an alignment. The printout they gave me of the front end specs, in my novice interpretation, did not reveal any significant alignment problems. I have had the car aligned at this same location in the past. Sometimes I 'think' I see some improvement immediately after the alignment, but the car never feels quite right in this regard. I am not sure what is going on with the car, but this problem is certainly detracting from the enjoyably of my ride. I have had the front end / suspension visually 'inspected' several times, and the report is always the same. The mechanic always tells me 'I do not see any problem with it'.

Front end issue # 2:
There is a clunk kind of noise as I hit a small bump, or a small hole / pothole coming from the front right. It sounds to me JUST like the sound that a defective strut cap would make. I replaced the front struts about 1.5 years ago. It needed struts SO bad that I do not even remember if this particular sound was happening before I replaced the struts. But, I remember it happening immediately after. I went back to the guy who installed the shocks and had him replace the right strut cap even thought he told me that would not fix the problem. And, it did not fix the problem. It sounds like maybe some play in the strut or something. I am really hesitant to start taking this thing apart again without knowing, or having a pretty good idea what the problem may be.

Front end issue # 3:
I think this may be a MUCH more common issue with these maximas. When I am driving at about, say 24-40 miles an hour and I STOMP on the gas pedal, there is a loud, kind of CLUNK. Sounds like there is play in the transmission, universal joint(s) or something. I remember hearing this same thing in other maximas during text drives, Etc.

If anyone can tell me where to look for what is causing these problems, or any insight as to how to fix them, please let me know. The car has 92,xxx mile son it, is in Florida, and to my knowledge has always been in Florida.

I am starting to think issue # 1 was just bad tires which were unevenly worn. I got a nice set of nearly brand new times, this seemed to resolve this issue.

Issue #2: I think I have multiple issues causing issue #2. I found a bolt lose in the right brake caliper. It definitely made a difference when I tightened it. Still have something going on up there that sounds like it could be a strut cap.

Issue #3 was a front motor mount. Got it fixed.

Car is MUCH more enjoyable to drive since I cleared up #1 & #3. Still wish I could get #2 fully diagnosed and resolved.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Suspension Yoda

For #2 - Replace your transverse motor mount. It's the one along the passenger side. Very common issue.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
For #2 - Replace your transverse motor mount. It's the one along the passenger side. Very common issue.
+1 !
Failure of the passenger-side engine mount is a common issue with our cars (at 12-15 years of age) - so don't replace any other parts until you check it out.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:14 PM

seems like the same issues im having, creeking noises, brakes are making noise when applied, steering feels sloppy, seems like all motor mounts have gone bad and resting on the frame. Expensive car to maintain.