5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 i35 newly acquired - my experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:44 AM

2003 i35 newly acquired - my experience

I am not certain if this post will prove useful to anyone, but thinking that it might, so, the following is a brief recap of my experiences/impressions following the acquisition of a 2003 i35 with sport package:

Initial acquisition: Negotiated the purchase of the vehicle with 48,000 original miles on 8/25/14 for just $1700.

Vehicle was a one-owner that had not been driven in three years.

Arrived to retrieve her from a retirement home parking lot on a Friday night. Battery had been completely dead for some time, so I hooked up jumper cables. Final connection would set off the security alarm, so I disconnected and searched the owner manual for a solution.

Solution was simple, cycle the security system through one iteration of lock/unlock using the key to overide the alarm.

Via the jumpers, I started her up (so quiet and smooth). Disconnected the cables, closed the hood, backed her out of her parking space, and drove off.

Confronted immediately with extreme rotational vibration from the tires accompanied by horrendous pull to the right.

While I am an extremely experienced driver, I'm no mechanic. I'm thinking to myself that this bargain purchase may turn out to be a lemon.

I've never driven a car so out of alignment and with such vibration when driiving. Additionally, I'm thinking that she must need a new battey, since the existing sat so long in a discharged state.

By the time I got her home, it was apparent to me that the alternator had sufficeiently replenished the battery charge that door chimes, etc were now operable, although there was not enough juice to turn the engine.

I decided to make a three hour round trip to test my suspicion that the battery condition was due to non-use (tire issue and mis-algnment made this trip most tedious).

Sure enough, when I completed that journey, she started right up, and I have identified no battery-related issues to date (well, issues that I can identify at this point).

To address the alignment and tire vibration issues, I took the car to my local mechanic who diagnosed frozen calipers on both rear breaks, need to replace all four rotors and pads, need for a new serpentine belt, and that was about it. Total cost, $1700.00.

I am not surprised by all of this, and am still feeling as though I have made a wise decision in making this purchase.

That was three weeks ago.

Today, I am still mildly perplexed by the intermittent functioning of the seat memory/auto back/return when stopping the car.

For me, this is more a curiosity than a nagging complaint.

The serpentine belt newly replaced by my mechanic squeals upon start up.
He told me to just bring it back for adjustment, but, in two weeks, I have not had an opportunity to do so (he is not open Sundays).

Instead, after much reading on this and other fora, I tried applying a few squirts of a leather conditioner (purchased at Pep Boys), and followed up by the purchase a a WD40 Silicone Conditioner for serpentine belts which I have yet to use (the leather conditioner has been effective to date).

When I look back over my problems, I have to state that they seem relatively minor compared to the functionality I believe I can anticipate from the purchase of this car.

Your comments would be most appreciated.

Caruso
Old 09-21-2014, 11:57 AM

great pickup at a steal...1700$. My first gut would be to flip it and start afresh lolz with wads of cash in hand....
retirement home...one owner/seldom used. Id imagine a cherry of a car thats never been abused.
In the end welcome aboard! (May wish to have a mod move this into the official intro thread;im new here)
Old 09-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Had mine for 1 year so far... Already

- suspension overhaul
- radiator
- alternator
- coil packs
- AC broke
- rear calipers seized
- burning oil issue
- DRL module broke and had to get fixed
- transmission issue (2-3 flare under spirited driving)
- front & rear motor mounts were shot

But car has like 2x the mileage

Compared to my previous cars this one might be more expensive to own... (1999 & 1998 Toyota Camry)

You got a very good deal though!!!!!

Last edited by george__; 09-21-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Here in AZ where I live. An i35 with that mileage and that condition goes for $4800 or more. Great steal
Old 09-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Bad *** Newb

You stole that car, almost literally.

Do not put crap on the belt. It needs to be tightened.

At 1,700, you better learn how to use some tools. Parts cost is 250 bucks for those items (I rounded up :P ).

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 09-21-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Nice purchase. Great price. Just be careful. A car sitting that long will have some problems from non use. If you are handy try to do as much work as you can. As was mentioned - that brake job and belt was about $250 in parts. You'd have a lot of extra $ in your pocket if you could research and do some of the repair work yourself. Oh and don't listen to George. He bought a lemon from an auction with a ton of kms on it and wonders why it needed so much work.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:09 PM

^
My last few auction cars were just fine
Old 09-21-2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
Nice purchase. Great price. Just be careful. A car sitting that long will have some problems from non use. If you are handy try to do as much work as you can. As was mentioned - that brake job and belt was about $250 in parts. You'd have a lot of extra $ in your pocket if you could research and do some of the repair work yourself. Oh and don't listen to George. He bought a lemon from an auction with a ton of kms on it and wonders why it needed so much work.
QFT.

Thats why it really does matter a whole lot, not only where you buy a used car but the shape it's in. I learned that first hand.

My 2000 Max has had no problems (knock on wood), but kept up perfect on maintanence. While my old I30 which was also a year newer and at the time I got rid of it was about 4 years newer than my current Max ...broke down by 150k because it was never maintained.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:15 PM

Great steal. I would probably replace the battery anyway as your alternator will work harder and have a decreased life if you don't. It may also help any electrical gremlins you may have. When the alternator went out on my car, it caused a small fire.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:48 PM

It's a great steal, I mean deal no matter how you look at it.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:55 AM

Yea, great deal. A car like that at the auction would sell for about $3000+ not including fees.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 AM

Nice scoop mayne, i just hope you changed the oil and filter before moving the car if it sat for 3yrs.

A gas tank treatment would help against moisture that might have collected on the old gas ,,

Theres a dude around here that paid $4500 for a 2000 se its clean but its all stock with over 200k mi. So for $1700 if the miles are accurate you've just doubled your money imo...