5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driver window regulator.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 05:06 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Driver window regulator.

My driver side window is stuck completely down. I have bypassed the switch itself, and I am fairly confident that I have a bad motor. I had a few minutes free so I grabbed a couple tools and went to remove the motor for further testing.

Here's where it gets tricky. I've got to remove the glass. However, the retaining bolts for the window to regulator can only be accessed with the glass about 3 inches from the bottom. Mine is too far down to access those bolts from their factory access points. I can't even get a crow's foot on the bolts because of their buried position. Trying to force the glass led to some anxiety as the force holding it causes the glass to begin flexing in a manner that seems sure to cause a need for glass replacement also. I'm not ready for that path just yet.

Any advice from those that have addressed this same issue in the past?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Yes, get a hammer and hit the motor a copule times real good connect everything right really good cuz you may only have one shot at it moving...
Old 10-11-2014, 07:01 AM

Try unbolting the regulator from the door. Maybe you will be able to raise the glass that way.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Any advice from those that have addressed this same issue in the past?
My driver window stopped working a couple months ago. I used the diagram in the FSM and followed the steps for taking the door panel and everything off. There's a diagram of the window on this website. I had the same problem as you when it came to the 2 bottom screws. Pain in the **** that windows stop working when their down, eh?

What I did was have a buddy pull up on the window from above while I used a big flat head screwdriver and (using the bottom of the big hole for leverage) gently pried underneath the window guide. We got it up far enough to take off the 2 bolts through the holes, then we removed the window and pulled the whole motor/regulator/guide rail assembly out through the bigger hole in the rear of the door frame.

FYI: Be very careful working in and around those holes with your hands—I cut the back of my hand and mashed my thumb pretty bad fudging around inside those things.

I currently don't have the money for a new assembly (only $105 at my local parts store) so I had my buddy hold the window up tight into its frame and propped it up with a couple boards. It's been holding for the last couple weeks. Just have to be careful closing the door

Last edited by desktop; 10-11-2014 at 07:47 AM.