5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car still misfiring. A LOT tried so far

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Bad *** Newb

OK, this is a big difference about the revs! I thought you had power and it drove normal. I also missed the part about the TB not opening.

I guess you just have to see what happens after swapping it.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 11-29-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by AcuraLegend

It's late, so I think I;m not explaining clearly Sorry.

All of the REAR bank are OEM coils. I also did all NGK plats on all 6 last week. they're new back there.

My misfire is MUCH less violent. It's not a cylinder deactivating mis anymore. That was fixed by replacing the coil that jumped from 4 to 6 when I swapped it.

My misfire is now really only at idle. Also, no CEL at all if I let it idle. I let it run for 30min, no SES. I took it for drive, still rough idle. Give it heavy throttle and SES come on. I checked it immediately - and no cylinder code - just random misfire. I also notice no change in power when I press the throttle. RPMS rise, but I'm not getting any throttle response. That paired with the fact it wont open when I press the pedal - I think the LAST thing to fix is the TB.

So far it was:

-Dirty IAVT solenoids
-Dirty Plugs (all new)
-Non oem coils - replaced 2
-Destroyed intake gasket
-Cracked PCV gas blowbyhose
-Cracked PCV rear intake hose

I hope that makes sense, it's late
Ok then it's early and therefore they still serve alcohol! so you!,my friend get a drink and relax imo i think bank 1 injectors should be changed or refurbished,if the result on the neighbors car comes inconclusive....otherwise tb next i guess...
Old 11-29-2014, 10:45 PM

OK, this is a big difference about the revs! I thought you had power and it drove normal. I also missed the part about the TB not opening.

Last edited by AcuraLegend; 11-29-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Ok then it's early and therefore they still serve alcohol! so you!,my friend get a drink and relax imo i think bank 1 injectors should be changed or refurbished,if the result on the neighbors car comes inconclusive....otherwise tb next i guess...
I got plenty of beers man. So I'm still all in. Hahaha.

Im just not following the injector logic...

If I pull injector 1 - and cylinder starts missing , I know injector one is passing fuel, right?

I pull injector 3, and the idle condition doesnt change - injector 3 is not passing fuel - and should be changed?

Last edited by AcuraLegend; 11-29-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:51 PM

WOW. I love the web. I just found this (on another site)...
But my cats are hollowed. Are my o2 sensors even working anymore? This may not apply, but the symptoms sound almost identical. I wonder if when they hollowe them out, if they connected the harness backwards.....

:
Customer:
The valve cover gaskets were replaced recently (a few months before this started)

Customer:
And the engine has been run low on oil in the past. I feared compression problems but the way the problem comes and goes had me wondering

Jay :
Oh

Jay :
Wait a min

Jay :
I want you to check something

Jay :
You mentioned you had valve covers done

Jay :
There is one thing I have seen I would like you to check for me

Jay :
I have seen where 02 sensors on the passenger side can get plugged in backwards

Jay :
I want you to go to the 02 sensors on the passenger side.
Jay :
and If you can do this for me it would help me to help you.

Jay :
what I need you to do is this

Jay :
bank 1 is the passenger side, and bank 2 is the drivers side

Jay :
I want you to look at the wire colors for Bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor, and Ban 2 sensor 1 02 sensor and give me the wire colors on the harness side of the connector

Jay :
So I can check to make sure they are plugged in correctly

Jay :
Then I want you to do the same thing for the rear 02 sensors.

Jay :
Cause if backwards that can also confuse the computer

Customer:
Are the 1 o2 sensors the ones I see plugged into the exaust manifolds?

Jay :
Yes, there is one in the manifold and after the manifold

Jay :
there is two 02 sensors on each side

Jay :
This can also cause the possible misfire if what I am thinking maybe your problem.

Customer:
I will go look right now... standby

Jay :
Take your time

Lets see if my gutt instinct is right on this.

Customer:
You sir, are a genius.

Jay :
you found something?

Customer:
When I looked at the connectors, I noticed there was a white paint marker drawn across the male and female connectors, but the marks didnt line up. I switched the two connectors, and they matched up perfectly.

Customer:
The car idles smooth now

Jay :
Cool deal

Customer:
That was the kind of thing only a nissan guy would know, anyone else would have just started listed off stuff to replace

Jay :
I know nothing about Nissans...

Jay :
hehe
Jay :
J/K

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/nissan/6j6...#ixzz3KX27BZAW

Last edited by AcuraLegend; 11-29-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:53 PM

I got plenty of beers man. So I'm still all in. Hahaha.

Im just not following the injector logic...

If I pull injector 1 - and cylinder starts missing , I know injector one is passing fuel, right?

I pull injector 3, and the idle condition doesnt change - injector 3 is now passing fuel - and should be changed?
Not necessary the compression pressure should be tested along with fuel pressure if no malfunction is found check the timing.... Change the $20+ fuel filter that's suppose to last a lifetime and if you really wanna get giggy with it the fps too...

Last edited by nestorlugo; 11-29-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Bad *** Newb

WOW. I love the web. I just found this (on another site)...
But my cats are hollowed. Are my o2 sensors even working anymore? This may not apply, but the symptoms sound almost identical. I wonder if when they hollowe them out, if they connected the harness backwards.....
That should be impossible and it doesn't matter. Wires 1 and 3 are for the heater and the middle is signal.

If somehow the O2s are causing a problem you can just unplug the primaries (or all of them).
Old 11-30-2014, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
That should be impossible and it doesn't matter. Wires 1 and 3 are for the heater and the middle is signal.

If somehow the O2s are causing a problem you can just unplug the primaries (or all of them).
lol yeah, I realized that when I got under the car. I was like :uhhhhh, must be for a different nissan lol

I'm going to try unplugging them tomorrow, and see how it acts.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Not necessary the compression pressure should be tested along with fuel pressure if no malfunction is found check the timing.... Change the $20+ fuel filter that's suppose to last a lifetime and if you really wanna get giggy with it the fps too...
I'm not sure if this app can test the fuel pressure, but I'll check it out.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:22 AM

So there's a really stupid trick I learned. From the 350z forum.....

To get the valve on the TB to open, with the ignition set to on, YOU ALSO HAVE TO HAVE THE CAR IN GEAR.

I put it into 1st, wedged the throttle down, turned ignition to 'on' - And YES the TB valve moves. I also did continuity and power tests earlier, so that saves me some money on a TB.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:25 AM

No change with the o2 sensors removed (like I thought).

Im running out of ideas. Maybe the fuel filter and if i can figure out a way to test test the fuel pressure, maybe an injector or 2.

I also still might have a vacuum leak. Not sure where, but i'm running out of things to check!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:50 AM
Bad *** Newb

What's left? Maf and injectors? But I don't see how injectors could cause such power loss.

You still have precats? Clogged cats will cause it to barely have power, but idk about idle.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:01 AM

What's left? Maf and injectors? But I don't see how injectors could cause such power loss.

You still have precats? Clogged cats will cause it to barely have power, but idk about idle.
Theyve been gutted out. I was getting o2 sensor codes on both banks, so they gutted em.

I cleaned out my MAF as one of the first things. Ive never gotten a code on it, its an expensive *** sensor, I dont want to just replace it.

My diag software on my android phone doesnt test fuel pressure. I know I can get a gauge at AZ, but I don't know what Im doing past that.

Last edited by AcuraLegend; 11-30-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Haven't read the entire thread, but if the misfire is mild, I would look into TCW3. Maybe your injectors aren't totally synced. The ecu assumes the injectors are identical. Anyway, TCW3 makes for a buttery smooth idle and makes your car run quieter.

Also perhaps clean your grounds so all electrical components are "talking" to the ecu clearly.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:15 PM

I'm not sure if this app can test the fuel pressure, but I'll check it out.
I second checking this, though I just went ahead and replaced my fuel pump, pretty cheap aftermarket part (it's located on top of the tank under the back seat -pretty easy swap, stinky but easy). This Fixed ALL of my stalling problems and misfire issues SES codes. Gotta have fuel present before anything will combust.
2002 Maxima SE 6spd @ 168k miles
Old 11-30-2014, 01:24 PM

I'm back in the direction of a vacuum leak.

I'm pretty sure I can hear air escaping right at the intake elbow. Especially when I turn the car off, I can hear a VERY faint hiss at the area of the elbow. Kind of where the Idle Air Control unit is.

I would think fuel injectors would cause stalling or bad hesitation at acceleration. I'm not getting those (anymore).
Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Bad *** Newb

I'm back in the direction of a vacuum leak.

I'm pretty sure I can hear air escaping right at the intake elbow. Especially when I turn the car off, I can hear a VERY faint hiss at the area of the elbow. Kind of where the Idle Air Control unit is.

I would think fuel injectors would cause stalling or bad hesitation at acceleration. I'm not getting those (anymore).
I think that noise is normal. You have no IACV :P
Old 11-30-2014, 03:05 PM

I think that noise is normal. You have no IACV :P
Vapor can vent valve?

Then maybe it is an injector. The idle is definately rougher than normal (but not jumping) and I can hear a knock

Last edited by AcuraLegend; 11-30-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Bad *** Newb

Vapor can vent valve?

Then maybe it is an injector. The idle is definately rougher than normal (but not jumping) and I can hear a knock
Yeah, purge valve or w/e they call it is nearby.

swap till you drop :P