5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Passenger Side Mid-Woofer not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:28 AM

Passenger Side Mid-Woofer not working

Hello Guys, I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima WITHOUGH Bose system.
My passenger side (right) mid-woofer has no sound, only the twitter is working.
So I removed the door panel but the mid-woofer is in perfect condition, so I'm sure it's not broken or anything.
Also after I remove all 4 screws and try to remove the speaker, it won't even move, seems like its "glued" to the door!?
Btw they are all stock speakers.

Does anyone know why it is not working ?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:35 PM

It may be that one of the positive or negative cables has come loose from the terminal on the back of the speaker, or that one or both may be corroded. It may be worth some prying to get that thing off to take a look.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
It may be that one of the positive or negative cables has come loose from the terminal on the back of the speaker, or that one or both may be corroded. It may be worth some prying to get that thing off to take a look.
I'll take a look tmr, thx ^^
Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Suspension Yoda

It's easier to remove the 3 screws holding the speaker housing to the metal door frame, not the 4 screws holding the speaker cone to the speaker housing.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:44 PM

I had both sides replaced with a new pair of JVC speakers at future shop today, so it turns out my old mid-woofer is broken lol
Old 12-31-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Alexyan
I had both sides replaced with a new pair of JVC speakers at future shop today, so it turns out my old mid-woofer is broken lol
EEK, you trusted future shop with your car!!?!?!?!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by george__
EEK, you trusted future shop with your car!!?!?!?!
Unfortunately that kind of install usually works okay, that is, until you try to work with it yourself.

Next time, I highly recommend trying your own speaker install. It's cheaper, and really simple! You can even be sure to do it well yourself - and feel good about your own work.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:14 PM

^
Yeah... I wouldn't let bestbuy or futureshop near any car my friends, family or I own
Old 12-31-2014, 08:45 PM

Unfortunately that kind of install usually works okay, that is, until you try to work with it yourself.

Next time, I highly recommend trying your own speaker install. It's cheaper, and really simple! You can even be sure to do it well yourself - and feel good about your own work.
I wish I could.... Last time I changed the cabin filters myself, but afterward I couldn't even put back the glove box
Old 12-31-2014, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by george__
^
Yeah... I wouldn't let bestbuy or futureshop near any car my friends, family or I own
My father, the owner of my car at 15k miles, took it to Best Buy for aftermarket speakers and a head unit. Until this day, after all my custom audio work, it still hasn't completely recovered from the damage done. They removed the wire harness and hardwired the aftermarket head unit, and lost 2/3 of all the speaker adapter screws. They used these odd makeshift decorative screws for the ones they did replace. Absolutely pathetic. I've made most of it work since, and in all honesty, while my work isn't necessarily professional looking, it's better than that crap on every level... especially since a "professional" did the work.

Not to say that the work you had done, Alexyan, was bad, but this is always something to look out for. Maybe you struggled with that air filter, but it's a step towards learning how to do the basic stuff on your own. What got me started with even caring a little about cars was the simple speaker fix that you just had done. After I got done fixing the speakers, I got interested in installing more powerful speakers. Then came subs, and amps. My first performance intake which I installed myself. Taught myself to do simple maintenance, and got on my way enhancing my car. Not to say that you'll be interested in that kind of work, but to say the least, knowing the simple stuff can save you a lot of money and give you a lot of security.

Fortunately, speakers are generally an easy fix, especially at the basic level, and there's not much damage anyone can do to them that isn't easily repairable on your own effort and time. So in the case that they did do something wrong, fear not.

Last edited by Cotozic; 12-31-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:57 AM

^
It's their staff being so inexperienced and then these newbies butcher your car.

Have to start somewhere in your career though
Old 01-01-2015, 03:51 PM

My father, the owner of my car at 15k miles, took it to Best Buy for aftermarket speakers and a head unit. Until this day, after all my custom audio work, it still hasn't completely recovered from the damage done. They removed the wire harness and hardwired the aftermarket head unit, and lost 2/3 of all the speaker adapter screws. They used these odd makeshift decorative screws for the ones they did replace. Absolutely pathetic. I've made most of it work since, and in all honesty, while my work isn't necessarily professional looking, it's better than that crap on every level... especially since a "professional" did the work.

Not to say that the work you had done, Alexyan, was bad, but this is always something to look out for. Maybe you struggled with that air filter, but it's a step towards learning how to do the basic stuff on your own. What got me started with even caring a little about cars was the simple speaker fix that you just had done. After I got done fixing the speakers, I got interested in installing more powerful speakers. Then came subs, and amps. My first performance intake which I installed myself. Taught myself to do simple maintenance, and got on my way enhancing my car. Not to say that you'll be interested in that kind of work, but to say the least, knowing the simple stuff can save you a lot of money and give you a lot of security.

Fortunately, speakers are generally an easy fix, especially at the basic level, and there's not much damage anyone can do to them that isn't easily repairable on your own effort and time. So in the case that they did do something wrong, fear not.
Very true. I should starting learning how to do things on my car myself :
Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Alexyan
Very true. I should starting learning how to do things on my car myself :
That's the reason this forum exists.