5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

01 muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:55 PM

01 muffler delete

Recently had the stock muffler deleted. No other exhaust mods.. no drone while cruising either! Im fairly happy with it.

However, the sweet spot is 2000rpm exactly. After about 3000 it sounds very weak...

I considered a resonator delete as well... but the mixed reviews ive heard about it scare me. I cant have ridiculous drone or be setting off car alarms at idle.

Could i get a less restrictive resonator..would that hold the sound in the higher rpm range?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Bad *** Newb

Any more modification will result in it being very loud and droney.

I'm surprised it isn't, already. It definitely is on the 3.5 (but does sounds awesome).
Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 PM

So what's the rear end look like?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:09 AM

Its just a pipe for the moment. Im ordering a tip later today. The guy said to wait and see how i like the sound first before spending money on a tip.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:06 PM

How did you do the pipe?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:17 PM

I think you are modding backwards...lol. But thats just my opinion. You eliminate that bada$$ calsonic muffler...and you better not to anything else to your exhaust or it will be intolerable.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 PM

There's going to be allot of cars messing with you now straight pipe on a stock car
going to attract bullys.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim
I think you are modding backwards...lol. But thats just my opinion. You eliminate that bada$$ calsonic muffler...and you better not to anything else to your exhaust or it will be intolerable.
Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
There's going to be allot of cars messing with you now straight pipe on a stock car
going to attract bullys.
I had a friend drive it while i was outside and its exactly how i want it. Just sounds so quiet on the inside of the car that i didnt think it was even making noise. Keeping it just how it is

Stock engine wise yeah, im not trying to dump thousands into a car at this point in my life. After college and landing a good job ill hit the engine.

to all the haters:
Old 03-12-2015, 07:19 PM

Gangster!!!

Last edited by george__; 03-12-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:24 PM

Glad to see the worthless posts. Keep em coming georgie boy

Originally Posted by AT978
How did you do the pipe?
I took it to a shop haha

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-17-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 PM

I think that sounds really good..
Old 03-12-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Gangster!!!
Lol

Originally Posted by Y2kMaxima
I think that sounds really good..
It does sound good....but it is the very essence of what "ricer" means. You've added 0 horsepower.... made the car sound like it has more *****.....but it doesn't. The same money or less could have been spent on a test pipe and maybe even a b-Pipe too....could picked up 5-10 hp.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-17-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:42 PM

It does sound good....but it is the very essence of what "ricer" means. You've added 0 horsepower.... made the car sound like it has more *****.....but it doesn't. The same money or less could have been spent on a test pipe and maybe even a b-Pipe too....could picked up 5-10 hp.
Leave OP alone! His ride if he wants to put big rims on it, cut off muffler, test pipe etc so be it!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 PM

I mean yeah he could have bought this or done that, but I don't think it was a waste of money. Car sounds good, and he's happy with it and that is all that matters. He clearly stated he just wanted sound, and thats what he achieved.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
I took it to a chop shop haha

Fixed.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by george__

Leave OP alone! His ride if he wants to put big rims on it, cut off muffler, test pipe etc so be it!
If youd like to call 18s big then go for it, sorry they arent chrome either.

Maybe i should stick to the ghetto hood you had... oh wait you rear ended someone and destroyed it:///
Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 PM

If youd like to call 18s big then go for it, sorry they arent chrome either.

Maybe i should stick to the ghetto hood you had... oh wait you rear ended someone and destroyed it:///
My hood was ricey not ghetto

Jeez I was siding with you
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 PM

You just contradicted yourself. Gettin a b-pipe or a test pipe wont make the car have ***** either.

and as far as price goes, it was free. And IMO, free is better than the negligible 5hp.

If i was going to make the car faster, i would go about an entire system. But im not. School is expensive, and id rather focus on getting that paid for than having a fast car.

Theres no body kit, no chrome 22s, no sticker bombing or underglow, and no obnoxiously loud exhaust.

The only ricey thing about the car is the clear tails. Which im well aware of. But they were bought with intentions of a retrofit that i havent had time/money for.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:17 PM

Oh well...people go for different things. I associate my cars and motorcycles with power and performance....so the things I do are for those two things. If sound and looks is what you are into....then do it up.

You just contradicted yourself. Gettin a b-pipe or a test pipe wont make the car have ***** either.

and as far as price goes, it was free. And IMO, free is better than the negligible 5hp.

If i was going to make the car faster, i would go about an entire system. But im not. School is expensive, and id rather focus on getting that paid for than having a fast car.

Theres no body kit, no chrome 22s, no sticker bombing or underglow, and no obnoxiously loud exhaust.

The only ricey thing about the car is the clear tails. Which im well aware of. But they were bought with intentions of a retrofit that i havent had time/money for.
It's not negligible...lol. A test pipe eliminates the main catalytic converter, and a b pipe enlarges the exhaust diameter and gets rid of a horrible crimp spot in the exhaust....not to mention a 10lb weight loss. As far as rims go, every inch you go larger you put less hp to the ground. So no, I didn't contradict myself at all.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-17-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 PM

It's not negligible...lol. A test pipe eliminates the main catalytic converter, and a b pipe enlarges the exhaust diameter and gets rid of a horrible crimp spot in the exhaust....not to mention a 10lb weight loss. As far as rims go, every inch you go larger you put less hp to the ground. So no, I didn't contradict myself at all.
Free>5hp

Im very well aware of the torque vs wheel diameter facts. However, the overall diameter including the tire is the same as stock and the rims are lighter than stock.

The car is quicker with the 18s than the stock 17s. Yes, it would be faster with 17s of the same wheel. But when it comes down to it. Its barely any different- for a DD.

Also, i refuse to spend money on making an automatic 3.0 faster when the best cost vs. Power 'mods' would be a 3.5 swap and 6 speed swap.

Ill always have a spot in my heart for maximas. And if my life turns out the way id like it to, i will buy another (3.5 6spd) from the SOUTH. And yes, then i will make it fast.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 PM

Free>5hp

Im very well aware of the torque vs wheel diameter facts. However, the overall diameter including the tire is the same as stock and the rims are lighter than stock.

The car is quicker with the 18s than the stock 17s. Yes, it would be faster with 17s of the same wheel. But when it comes down to it. Its barely any different- for a DD.

Also, i refuse to spend money on making an automatic 3.0 faster when the best cost vs. Power 'mods' would be a 3.5 swap and 6 speed swap.

Ill always have a spot in my heart for maximas. And if my life turns out the way id like it to, i will buy another (3.5 6spd) from the SOUTH. And yes, then i will make it fast.
Do you know how much an engine and transmission swap costs? More than the whole car is worth. And by the way...I was near the wheel torque of a 3.5 before I put my y pipe on. I bet the dyno shows over 200wtrq when I get around to going again. I certainly didn't spend engine swap money doing it either....just smart purchases like...ahem....test pipe and b pipe
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Do you know how much an engine and transmission swap costs? More than the whole car is worth. And by the way...I was near the wheel torque of a 3.5 before I put my y pipe on. I bet the dyno shows over 200wtrq when I get around to going again. I certainly didn't spend engine swap money doing it either....just smart purchases like...ahem....test pipe and b pipe
Precisely the reason why i dont bother. Getting a 2002 or 2003 would be the best place to start. You got near it
Im done arguing with you. Your ignorance to the bigger picture is killing me.

I mean yeah he could have bought this or done that, but I don't think it was a waste of money. Car sounds good, and he's happy with it and that is all that matters. He clearly stated he just wanted sound, and thats what he achieved.
The fact that it was free made it better
Appreciate the support and understanding.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-17-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:48 PM

Precisely the reason why i dont bother. Getting a 2002 or 2003 would be the best place to start. You got near it
Im done arguing with you. Your ignorance to the bigger picture is killing me.
MY ignorance? Lol....mmmk.

I took it to a shop haha
How is this free? Am I missing something? Maybe I am.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-17-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:15 PM

How is this free? Am I missing something? Maybe I am.
Free because i know the guy and helped his daughter out a couple of times.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:34 PM

Gotcha. Well that's always nice.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:36 PM

Free because i know the guy and helped his daughter out a couple of times.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:08 AM

Personally I think deleting the rear muffler is idiotic and loud as hell....I had a setup for my 4th Gen that was basically 2.5" piping and a Flowmaster 40 muffler it was loud and obnoxious....Had to install a resonator just to quiet down...It was embarassingly loud too me....but the previous owner wanted to see what it sounded like and it was cool for about a month or two and then reality struck and it was TOO F@#King LOUD!!!! So We'll see how long you go enjoying your bliss or b4 getting your ticket!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Personally I think deleting the rear muffler is idiotic and loud as hell....I had a setup for my 4th Gen that was basically 2.5" piping and a Flowmaster 40 muffler it was loud and obnoxious....Had to install a resonator just to quiet down...It was embarassingly loud too me....but the previous owner wanted to see what it sounded like and it was cool for about a month or two and then reality struck and it was TOO F@#King LOUD!!!! So We'll see how long you go enjoying your bliss or b4 getting your ticket!
See thats what i was worried about when i went to delete the muffler in the first place. I personally do not enjoy loud exhausts. However, it really is not that loud. Ill get a video of it pulling away tonight. It just sounds more like a 4DSC than a four door family sedan.
I certainly wont be getting any tickets either, and thats not because the lack of police force.

I was stopped the other day for going 29 in a 30 mph zone because the officer said that it was suspiciously slow...
Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM

King 10 -- was the muffler you removed in serviceable condition? Mine is falling apart and I'd like to do a quick-fix until I can have it properly replaced.

Thanks much
Old 03-13-2015, 11:38 AM

Hell, I'm getting the resonator removed off my stock exhaust system simply for a little exhaust note. Sure it doesn't add any power, but I like the thought of hearing a little something. Besides, my car runs like a champ anyways. 60k miles, all the original power is still there
I like what you did King Ten, I personally think the car sounds great and if you like it, it's your car to do as you please. Unless someone gives him the money to buy a f*cking exhaust system stop bugging the dude to do this and that. Smfh.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph
King 10 -- was the muffler you removed in serviceable condition? Mine is falling apart and I'd like to do a quick-fix until I can have it properly replaced.

Thanks much
I let him keep it since he did it for free:/

Hell, I'm getting the resonator removed off my stock exhaust system simply for a little exhaust note. Sure it doesn't add any power, but I like the thought of hearing a little something. Besides, my car runs like a champ anyways. 60k miles, all the original power is still there
I like what you did King Ten, I personally think the car sounds great and if you like it, it's your car to do as you please. Unless someone gives him the money to buy a f*cking exhaust system stop bugging the dude to do this and that. Smfh.
My point exactly. Y2K knows whats up. Be sure to share a video if you do!

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-17-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Replace that whole pipe and it WILL give you a couple ponies. Don't pay to have it cut out and a pipe welded in.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:38 PM

I don't mean to call you out.....

Well..... yeah I do, where's the run files/dyno sheet proving this?

I seriously doubt this based on the mods in your sig, before OR after a y-pipe install.

Please elaborate.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by 4thGenTuner

I don't mean to call you out.....

Well..... yeah I do, where's the run files/dyno sheet proving this?

I seriously doubt this based on the mods in your sig, before OR after a y-pipe install.

Please elaborate.
What do you doubt? The numbers I posted? Those aren't even current numbers....
Old 03-13-2015, 02:14 PM

What do you doubt? The numbers I posted? Those aren't even current numbers....

I apologize, I found your dyno thread from like '13 & am now eating my hat.

Carry on with the chop shop muffler delete debate.

Just out of curiosity, what are you current mods & last dyno result?
Old 03-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 4thGenTuner

I apologize, I found your dyno thread from like '13 & am now eating my hat.

Carry on with the chop shop muffler delete debate.

Just out of curiosity, what are you current mods & last dyno result?
Ha! You saved me some I told you so posts...lol. I got those dyno numbers when my only exhaust mods were mid pipes....meaning test pipe and b pipes only. So unless those torque numbers came from the timing advance or my intake...which is doubtful....then those mid pipes are ultra important! That's what I'm trying to tell these guys.

I have yet to dyno since the y pipe. The y pipe was literally a huge difference on the butt dyno. I'm hoping to be over 200wtrq and in the 190's on hp. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by 2kMaxim; 03-13-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:47 PM

Ha! You saved me some I told you so posts...lol. I got those dyno numbers when my only exhaust mods were mid pipes....meaning test pipe and b pipes only. So unless those torque numbers came from the timing advance or my intake...which is doubtful....then those mid pipes are ultra important! That's what I'm trying to tell these guys.

I have yet to dyno since the y pipe. The y pipe was literally a huge difference on the butt dyno. I'm hoping to be over 200wtrq and in the 190's on hp. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm glad we agree on my mistake lol.

I also second your b pipe/test pipe assertions. Maintaining a good escape velocity as well an ID that allows not only more flow area but velocity improvement is important.

I deleted my downstream cat as well as gutted the one attached to the OEM manifold on the front bank. That in combination with 2.5" piping and a y-pipe really allow the motor to scream through the midrange. I never really understood the midpipe/test pipe/b-pipe thing. As far as Im concerned its headers>y-pipe>resonator>muffler.

You should buy a blower. That's really the next logical step. lol.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:52 PM

That's where I currently am. I'm debating having my front (and only remaining) cat rodded out. If I do that I will be required to use non foulers to not throw a code. This is my debate.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:06 PM

That's where I currently am. I'm debating having my front (and only remaining) cat rodded out. If I do that I will be required to use non foulers to not throw a code. This is my debate.

I gutted mine & haven't had any issue. I installed two new primary o2 sensors at the same time.

The downstream did throw a code initially & I considered the non foulers but ultimately would up with a dual output o2 sim. Its fairly easy to wire into the downstream sensor harnesses & its very effective.

I'm sure you could get away with the same sort of downstream setup if you conceal the sim in an area the emissions test people won't look. lol.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:09 PM

How was noise? Was it really much louder than with the rear deleted?

Quick Reply: 01 muffler delete