5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Acura TL-S vs. Nissan Maxima SE

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 10:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Acura TL-S vs. Nissan Maxima SE

Hey Guys! I am over here from the TL-S forum. I just bought a TL-S two weeks ago (I know, don't kill me though!). I was wondering what your guys' thoughts were on these two cars. Being candid and honest, what do you think are the pros and cons of these awesome cars? For example:

1. Which car has the better engine and why?
2. Which cars' engine can be 'modded' more and why?
3. Which car has the better interior?
4. Which car has is better looking?
5. Which car is a better value?
6. Whay did you choose the Maxima over its competitors?

It was a really close decision for me when choosing beetween these two cars. My wife really preferred the Acura and it being almost a toss-up for me, (I actually prefer the Maxima SE slightly over the TL-S) I went with the TL-S. There are a couple of other reasons why I chose the TL-S that I explain below.

Here are my thoughts. I think the Maxima SE is a better value by about 10% -15%. I could have gotten into a fully loaded 2002 Maxima SE w/o navi for $27,200 (Nissan was offering a $1000 cash back) which brought the price down to $27,200 (I haggled for hat of course!)! What a great deal! The best the Nissan dealership would do respectively for a 3 and 4 year lease was $474 and $410. The Nissan guys were complete *******s and jacked me around (they tried to hide the cap cost, took me four times of me asking to see the money factor, only wanted to talk in terms of 'monthly payment' etc...). I wound up leasing the TL-S (w/o navi) for $465 for 3 years. The residual was about $2.5 k (5% higher) better on the TL-S and Acura via Autobytel didn't try to screw me.

The Nissan feels a tad bit more snappy, but the smoothness of the TL-S is deceiving. I think the Maxima SE may be a bit quicker. Who knows? I liked the fit and finish better in the TL-S. I thought the TL-S was bit quieter (although that in itself was not really a factor) inside and had much better seats (although the Maxima's seats are much improved). I was also interested in a lease (one that I could flip to a purchase). I do wish like hell that I had a heated steering wheel though. I need it here in Denver. I appreciate any thoughts or comments.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:29 AM

No 6-speed on Acura
Old 01-25-2002, 10:29 AM
I'm needing a caw

Haha. Yo is now MY friend!

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND
Old 01-25-2002, 10:31 AM

Re: Acura TL-S vs. Nissan Maxima SE

Originally posted by MB-Telecom
I appreciate any thoughts or comments.
Thought: why are you telling a bunch of maxima fanatics this?

Comment: You should have overridden your wife in a fit of manly dominance and purchased the maxima!
Old 01-25-2002, 10:38 AM

I went thru this also. The Acura handled better. The Max was stronger off the line. When pushed hard the Max engine didn't scream as loud the Acura - I was really surprised how much engine noise the Acura made at 5-7000 rpm. It was a tough decision. The Max was cheaper of course and could be had without extras to keep cost down even more. I bought this car for the engine and Max reliability (02 last year Max to be made in Japan - I think).
Old 01-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Old 01-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Like I said,. it was basically a toss-up... The engine is of course very important to me, but even more so is the every day comfort, handling and ride of the car. The Acura service is a plus too...
Old 01-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Maxima.. it has won Wards Auto world awards for 10 ten best engine for 6 years straight and has been quoted as possible the best V6 engine ever made..

TL-S has the advantage here because the Honda Community gets better aftermarket support than the Maxima Community..

TL-S .. the leather .. fit and finish just blows away the Maxima..

TL-S .. nothing beats a TL-S with 18/19's with a body kit..

if you are buying used? Maxima.. if you are buying new? TL-S .. maxima will lose at least $8k in resale value once it leaves the lot.. and as some have found out.. even without leaving the lot..

Couldn't get a manual with v6 engine from Honda..
Old 01-25-2002, 11:13 AM

HP/Liter wise: the TL-S with 260
HP to the wheels: the maxima gets about 210 +/- and i dunno about the drivetrain loss of the TL-S
And as stated before, the maxima's V6 HAS been named one of the best ever made
overall, i'd say the VQ35DE is a better engine than the TL-S's 3.2 liter Vtec because vtecs make most of its hp in the high rpm range 5,500-10,000( )

Itz a toss-up between comptech for the TL-S vs Stillen for the Maxima

If your into wood, the TL-S has got plenty of it.. makes it look like a library
The Maxima SE, however, has a metallic-like plastic interior + door handles
Leatherwise, Any acura would beat out the nissan, (my mom's 3.5 RL's leather feels so much softer and refined than my maxima)

Im a big fan of the 2002 nissan's front head lights and cleared tail lights.. tho the funky-shaped maxima rear lenses may be repulsive to some, but it grows on you

Do you even need to ask? MAXIMA!!!

I wanted a powerful manual transmission NEW car priced under 30,000 and definitely didnt want domestic... basically my choices were: Subaru Impreza WRX, basic BMW 3 series, and Maxima.. chose the maxima cause i could get it fully loaded.. looked better than the alien-like eyes of a wrx and besides.. 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANNY!!!
Old 01-25-2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by maxatlast
When pushed hard the Max engine didn't scream as loud the Acura - I was really surprised how much engine noise the Acura made at 5-7000 rpm.

Yes thank you god!! Am I the only one who see this as bad? When your pushing an engine hard(fast) it should not strain under pressure that is the main reason(and probably the only) I don't like the TL-S. Imagine if you just bought some new furniture that had to be delivered; sure the guy pulling the 300lb sofa may be strong but if he came through the door with sofa in hand yelling and screaming like he was in a strongman competition that would not be cool. .Refined and smooth power delivery is what you want, not any moaning and b!tching while performing the job.They (TL-S guys) always brag about how they make more HP with less displacement but this is the bi-product (and somehow they pretend as if the torque deficciency(232) was never there at all!)

P.S. Please don't take this as a flame the TL-S is a wnderfull car
Old 01-25-2002, 12:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

That made no sense at all. How can you equate how hard the engine is working by the sound?? Honda uses small displacement and revs(though VTEC technology) to make hp. This gives good emissions and good fuel economy. If you haven't noticed VTEC Honda engines are MANUFACTURED to rev high(regardless on how you perceive the sounds) It maybe reving high, but it's not really working that hard. Reving a VTEC 4 cylinder to 8500 rpms is NOT the same as reving a Nissan V8 to 8500 rpms(to attempting to anyway )

Originally posted by KP117

Yes thank you god!! Am I the only one who see this as bad? When your pushing an engine hard(fast) it should not strain under pressure that is the main reason(and probably the only) I don't like the TL-S. Imagine if you just bought some new furniture that had to be delivered; sure the guy pulling the 300lb sofa may be strong but if he came through the door with sofa in hand yelling and screaming like he was in a strongman competition that would not be cool. .Refined and smooth power delivery is what you want, not any moaning and b!tching while performing the job.They (TL-S guys) always brag about how they make more HP with less displacement but this is the bi-product (and somehow they pretend as if the torque deficciency(232) was never there at all!)

P.S. Please don't take this as a flame the TL-S is a wnderfull carl:
Old 01-25-2002, 01:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Acura TL-S vs. Nissan Maxima SE

Stop bashing the WRX, JDM projectors or Morette Projectors fix that problem. C-West makes a cover for the JDM lamps and give it a distinct look. It's like the styling of the Maxima, it grows on you.
hehe.. or .. sorry about the bashing but i still think that the lites look mad Oooglie without dishing out sum dough for aftermarket... dont take it as an insult but i just wouldnt buy a subaru

btw.. the wrx is getting a bigger aftermarket than the maxima
Old 01-25-2002, 01:36 PM

KP117 is right, Hondas are torqueless wonders!
Old 01-25-2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
That made no sense at all. How can you equate how hard the engine is working by the sound?? Honda uses small displacement and revs(though VTEC technology) to make hp. This gives good emissions and good fuel economy. If you haven't noticed VTEC Honda engines are MANUFACTURED to rev high(regardless on how you perceive the sounds) It maybe reving high, but it's not really working that hard. Reving a VTEC 4 cylinder to 8500 rpms is NOT the same as reving a Nissan V8 to 8500 rpms(to attempting to anyway )

Ok ok I get the point but that still does not excuse the fact the engines makes plenty of noise when It is in the VTEC powerband. It may not be due to the engine working hard but IMO the noise is still not cool They are still great cars though
Old 01-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Nissan feels a tad bit more snappy, but the smoothness of the TL-S is deceiving. I think the Maxima SE may be a bit quicker

a bit quicker? try alot quicker!
Old 01-25-2002, 02:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

It's more than likely the intake manifold resonance when the vtec switches over to the other cams.

Originally posted by KP117

Ok ok I get the point but that still does not excuse the fact the engines makes plenty of noise when It is in the VTEC powerband. It may not be due to the engine working hard but IMO the noise is still not cool They are still great cars though
Old 01-25-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
It's more than likely the intake manifold resonance when the vtec switches over to the other cams.

Hmmm... I wonder if this is a problem that can not be easily solved(i.e Torque steer in powerful FWD car) cause you would think that the leader in Variable Valve timming technology since the early 90's would of done somethig about it by now
Old 01-25-2002, 02:16 PM

The TL and Max are simular in performance

As far as which engine is easiest to mod I would say the Maxima because the Max is DOHC and more easier to mod
where as the TL is SOHC less easier to mod.

Exterior sytling the Maxima is more agressive looking and looks more sporty where as the TL is more bland which is good for the class it competes in. How ever you can get a fatory body kit for the TL were as for the 2002 MAx you can't.

Interior the Maxima wins the leather seems more durable, plus there more creature comforts offered on the Max ie heated steering wheel auto headlights...

Value the Max has more value for a long term car (better interior quality, and better reliablity)cheaper sticker price. Short term the TL beats Maxima due to higher resale value
Old 01-25-2002, 03:43 PM

I'm with you Jeff. How hard an engine is working just cannot be determined by the sound (unless you hear metal grinding). I can't believe these folks are flamin' the J32A; that's a great motor, with an incredibly smooth power delivery. AND it only redlines at 6500rpm, so it's not even "screaming"

Irvine, as for the Max being "ALOT" quicker than the TL-S: The TL-S does run upper 14s in the 1/4 mile WITH an auto tranny. What's the 5th gen Max running with the auto? (NOTE: A 6-speed manual tranny IS on the way for the TL-S.)

I don't mean to further this neverending Honda vs. Nissan debate. Both are great cars in their own rite. (This is kind of like the Mercedes vs. BMW argument--Honda being the higher quality, less sporty Mercedes and Nissan being the lower quality, very sporty BMW.) I doubt that the buyers of the TL considered a Maxima as an alternative (maybe the I30/I35 ) And buyers of the Maxima probably don't find the TL (or any other Accord) sporty enough to fit their needs.

f23a4

p.s.: To the guy the guy with the new 3.5SE who tried to race me with my TL: Come back when you got some mods!!
Old 01-25-2002, 05:48 PM

You are kidding, right? Unless you got a TL-S, that 3.5 should've creamed you.

Originally posted by F23A4
f23a4

p.s.: To the guy the guy with the new 3.5SE who tried to race me with my TL: Come back when you got some mods!!
Old 01-25-2002, 07:49 PM

Everybody keeps griping about the resale of the Maxima, which is worse than others in terms of a percentage. However, if you look at what you get for the money, and the value down the road, it isn't so bad. For instance, it is hard to find another vehicle that offers as much as the 2002 Maxima for so little money. In fact, impossible. The fact is that a fully loaded 2k2 SE can be had for around sticker - $26,250 with a rebate. Most other similarly equipped vehicles are much more expensive. The TL-S around $30,500, the CL-S around $30,000, Audi A4, Passat, BMW, Lexus, etc.

The point is, that even though these others may have a higher resale, you paid less in the first place. So when you purchased your $26,250 Maxima and saved a few thousand over the others, take that into account as well. I think the $26,250 Maxima right now is the best deal going for the money with HIDS, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel, 6 Speed, wonderful engine, Memory Seats, Leather, Sunroof, autodimming mirrors, Auto Climate Control, in dash changer, side airbags, steering wheel mounted controls (which I can't stand to be without, now), etc.

Even if the resale is 10% less down the road than comparable vehicles, you are losing around $2700. You saved more than that when you bought the car!
Old 01-25-2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by 2k2se6spd
Everybody keeps griping about the resale of the Maxima, which is worse than others in terms of a percentage. However, if you look at what you get for the money, and the value down the road, it isn't so bad. For instance, it is hard to find another vehicle that offers as much as the 2002 Maxima for so little money. In fact, impossible. The fact is that a fully loaded 2k2 SE can be had for around sticker - $26,250 with a rebate. Most other similarly equipped vehicles are much more expensive. The TL-S around $30,500, the CL-S around $30,000, Audi A4, Passat, BMW, Lexus, etc.

The point is, that even though these others may have a higher resale, you paid less in the first place. So when you purchased your $26,250 Maxima and saved a few thousand over the others, take that into account as well. I think the $26,250 Maxima right now is the best deal going for the money with HIDS, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel, 6 Speed, wonderful engine, Memory Seats, Leather, Sunroof, autodimming mirrors, Auto Climate Control, in dash changer, side airbags, steering wheel mounted controls (which I can't stand to be without, now), etc.

Even if the resale is 10% less down the road than comparable vehicles, you are losing around $2700. You saved more than that when you bought the car!
2k2se6spd, very well said. I agree with u totally. The max...doesnt get the respect i believe it deserves....among higher priced "luxuary" models. JAKE02
Old 01-25-2002, 08:06 PM

hmmmmmmmm......

i was about to buy the CL-S.

then i drove it.

getting on the freeway, i mashed the throttle, and there was a noticeable pause while the auto thought about it, then wham..we were off. i did notice the noise as well. i drove the max, and got on the freeway. third gear, 60mph. i floored it.....i was sold.

so now i have less than a week left to wait on my black/black SE, 6spd, every frigging option. also get the helical.....he he. i think the max would **** all over an acura speedwise.. but its just an opinion.

"02damax, hauling *** out of a corner near you......."

lol
Old 01-25-2002, 08:27 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

My friend said the '95 Maxima SE 5spd he rode in felt faster than a honda s2000 6spd. How is this you say!?

My friends, a car is nothing without torque. The acura TL-S doesnt compare to the Maxi in torqueness. Our VQ engine is just too damn good. I'm glad its not a high revving v-tech, those are no fun down low.

The Maxima is faster. The TL-S is better looking. The Maxima has a better engine. The TL-S doesnt lose value like the Maxi. They are both roomy.

Either way you can't lose. Either car is gonna satisfy you.

Now, if you were more performance oriented you shoulda got the Maxima 6spd. That would easily blow the doors of the TL-S and CL-S. They need 6spds and then the CL-S will probubly be about even.

NOW, if you REALLY want a car thats more sexy than a '02 maxima and TL-S, get yourself a '95 SE Maxima. Talk about one hell of a car!
Old 01-25-2002, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by 02damax
hmmmmmmmm......

i was about to buy the CL-S.

then i drove it.

getting on the freeway, i mashed the throttle, and there was a noticeable pause while the auto thought about it, then wham..we were off. i did notice the noise as well. i drove the max, and got on the freeway. third gear, 60mph. i floored it.....i was sold.

so now i have less than a week left to wait on my black/black SE, 6spd, every frigging option. also get the helical.....he he. i think the max would **** all over an acura speedwise.. but its just an opinion.

"02damax, hauling *** out of a corner near you......."

lol

When did you order your Max?
Old 01-25-2002, 08:42 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder-Personally, I think the Max looks way better than the TL-S....When I see TL's and CL's (don't matter if they are type-s or not), I can't help but think there is an older guy driving-Maybe a middle age Executive or something...I think the Maxima appeals to a younger group because of its styling...And I love it..

Originally posted by Craig Mack
The Maxima is faster. The TL-S is better looking. The Maxima has a better engine. The TL-S doesnt lose value like the Maxi. They are both roomy.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:50 PM
Administrator

the 2k2 Max with an auto runs 14.5 .... 3 people have done so..
I'm with you Jeff. How hard an engine is working just cannot be determined by the sound (unless you hear metal grinding). I can't believe these folks are flamin' the J32A; that's a great motor, with an incredibly smooth power delivery. AND it only redlines at 6500rpm, so it's not even "screaming"

Irvine, as for the Max being "ALOT" quicker than the TL-S: The TL-S does run upper 14s in the 1/4 mile WITH an auto tranny. What's the 5th gen Max running with the auto? (NOTE: A 6-speed manual tranny IS on the way for the TL-S.)

I don't mean to further this neverending Honda vs. Nissan debate. Both are great cars in their own rite. (This is kind of like the Mercedes vs. BMW argument--Honda being the higher quality, less sporty Mercedes and Nissan being the lower quality, very sporty BMW.) I doubt that the buyers of the TL considered a Maxima as an alternative (maybe the I30/I35 ) And buyers of the Maxima probably don't find the TL (or any other Accord) sporty enough to fit their needs.

f23a4

Old 01-26-2002, 07:27 AM

f23a4

Buyer of the TL-S wouldn't consider a Maxima (rather I35)are you serious unless they are blind sheep they would they are basically the same car.

Acura may be Honda's premium division but it doesn't have the brand cashe that Lexus or Audi, (nor does Infinite) has look at it's 2 best selling cars all under 35K. Acura buyers are in the market for an affordiable car w/lux and some sportness atributes that both the MAx, I35 and TL/TLS has. wake up
Old 01-26-2002, 10:15 AM

Where I am at the 3 year lease on a TLS is $100 Canadian more a month than on a Maxima SE. The residuals are 56 %(58 for auto) for the Max, and 52% for the TLS.

The costs were $4000 Cdn more on the Acura, and it had less head room. I can't see the back end of the TLS when parking. There are some nicer luxuries on the TLS, and the 'name' is more recognized.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:39 PM

Hey Boss, I got some questions about Canadian Max's...Email me, ok?

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Where I am at the 3 year lease on a TLS is $100 Canadian more a month than on a Maxima SE. The residuals are 56 %(58 for auto) for the Max, and 52% for the TLS.

The costs were $4000 Cdn more on the Acura, and it had less head room. I can't see the back end of the TLS when parking. There are some nicer luxuries on the TLS, and the 'name' is more recognized.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:39 PM

I own a 2002 TL Type S and a 2001 Maxima SE 20th Anniversary Edition. I can tell you from PERSONAL experience that the TL-S is MUCH faster 0-60 mph than the Maxima. You can believe what you hear, but I know otherwise from personal experience that the TL Type S is faster from 0-60. However, I don't know which is faster 0-60: 2002 Maxima and 2002 TL Type S??? I haven't had the pleasure of meeting a 2002 Maxima at a light yet with my Type S, but I look forward to the day. ;-)

By the way, I have my 20th AE up for sale. This car is truly for the serious Maxima enthusiast.

Max
Old 01-26-2002, 08:42 PM

The answer to your questions is almost trivial since it is a splitting hairs difference either way. both are fast, both have highly acclaimed engines, both have broadband power curves achieved differently (Max does by cubic inch displacement advantage, Acura does by state of the art valve timing and lift technology optimized with close-ratio 5-speed automatic), and the Max gives nothing up to the Acura in refinement and NVH.

Overall I gie the Max a nod. Scary how competitive the auto industry is. I thought the '99 TL really gave it's market a rude awakening and the 2nd upper cut came with the Type S. But just 6 months later, the 255 hp Max came out. such a short honeymoon typical of the competitive auto market these days. i think the max gives all the convenience and luxury features of the TL (HID, nav, bose, leather, security, etc...) and perhaps more performance features such as 6-speed manual and helical limited slip diff. all for less money. maybe a lot less if you go for a maxima gxe (what a sleeper deal).
Old 01-26-2002, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

NOW, if you REALLY want a car thats more sexy than a '02 maxima and TL-S, get yourself a '95 SE Maxima. Talk about one hell of a car!
no, TL-S with oem body kit is 10000000x better looking than any 4th gen max, especially the 95/96's rearend with stealing kit.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:07 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by costcowholesale

no, TL-S with oem body kit is 10000000x better looking than any 4th gen max, especially the 95/96's rearend with stealing kit.
Noooo waaay. I love my rear. NOBODY can beat the breadbox shape of the 95-96 Maxima!!!
Old 01-26-2002, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by EZ

Noooo waaay. I love my rear. NOBODY can beat the breadbox shape of the 95-96 Maxima!!!
I like this better
& the uglier one here
Old 01-28-2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by motectransam
and the Max gives nothing up to the Acura in refinement and NVH.

...a Mercury Sable don't give nothing up to the Acura (in refinement and NVH) in the 1st year. Wait longer than a year and it'll be a different tune.

f23a4
Old 01-28-2002, 02:10 PM

Uh...Mercury Sable???

...a Mercury Sable don't give nothing up to the Acura (in refinement and NVH) in the 1st year. Wait longer than a year and it'll be a different tune.

f23a4
Old 01-28-2002, 02:37 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

f23a4
I recall, that Acura is the one having tranny problems after year one. Not to mention all the complaints about paint, rattles, and build quality. I'm not saying the Max is perfect but made in Japan sure does help