5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Maxima dies then sudden acceleration.... Please Read!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 Maxima dies then sudden acceleration.... Please Read!!

Hi Guys,

I am new to these forums as far as actually posting... but since I've had my maxima I've read alot on this forum. I was in a major accident yesterday due to what i believe was a faulty alternator and sudden acceleration.

I will give you guys some insight into how the issue started...

My car for sometime was slow leaking... between oil changes i would have to top off because oil level would go down between the slow leak and the common issue of these maxima's burning oil. I finally decided to do the job and fix the leak. Brought it to a local shop and they told me the oil pan gaskets needed to be resealed. I went ahead and got the job done then went to Atlantic city. When i was ready to come home there was no oil in the car whatsoever... I had to buy about 12 quarts of oil and keep refilling engine anytime light came on... Took the car back to the shop and apparently the mechanic didn't do the seal correctly and they redid the job. No oil leak so thing it was done correctly the second time.

Now.... onto the dangerous part...

about a week later I was taking my three kids to school and when i started the car the battery and break lights were both on... But the car was operating normally. Stopped to fill gas and when i went to move again the car started but i had no acceleration... pretty much dead just rolling very very slowly as if someone was pushing the car or when its in neutral. I decided to head back home and on my way home while slowing rolling the car jumps with a sudden acceleration and the break light and battery light came off and the car was back to normal.... i still went back home... turn the car off .... had the kids get out... tested it a bit went around the block a few times... and it seems everything was OK.... eventually dropped the kids to school and used he car the entire day with no issues... Now while at work at came on the forum and did some research.... everything pointed to faulty alternator... so i looked up some prices and was prepared to bring it in repair.... but a post suggested having auto-zone test it while the lights are on for correct voltages... to confirm the alternator problem.... Now the next morning I'm taking my kids to school again and low and behold the lights are back on but the car is moving... .so I head to autozone.... when I was 2 blocks away the car died again.... so while rolling down the streen with blinkers on a made u-turn and pulled into autozone... with my foot on the break slowing pulling into the parking spot right in front of the door so someone can come check it for me.... ..

This is where it gets crazy....

while applying break i realize the car is still rolling.... and I can see a customer coming towards the door and the car doesn't seem to want to stop... then it just does that sudden acceleration again and straight into the auto-zone doors i went.... shattered the doors and almost ended up insidde the auto-zone... the guy coming out the store had to jump out the way.... as to not but crushed between the car and the door.... he says the car actually did hit is leg... he left in an ambulance.... (he was honestly inches away from being crushed.... that god he got out the way)

Now... I had the car towed to a mechanic close by and it was indeed the alternator shot.... But while there the mechanic brings up that a lot of times the alternator in the maximas gets damaged from oil leaks since it sits right under the valve cover and where u put oil into the car.... now I changed the alternator and at the same time put in new valve covers....

No Can the alternator issue cause the car to react the way it did??? The mechanics are saying it definitely can but need some input from other maxima owners if they ever experience anything like this or heard about anything like this...

Also do you think the previous job being botched helped to or directly caused the alternator being damaged???

Any input whatsoever would be greatly appreciated....
Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 AM

Call the government people

How the heck can a alternator cause your car to suddenly accelerate?

You sure you didn't freak out and floored the gas?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm positive I didn't panic and mistake gas for break... but keep in mind the car was dead... I had no acceleration ability....
Old 05-21-2015, 09:05 AM

ive definitely accidentally pressed the gas when braking before in the max...usually wearing dress/work shoes. too small a gap between the pedals makes it easy to catch the gas while braking.

i kept pressing the brake only to keep accelerating (over the course of a few seconds) and realized what was happening. wasnt the only time i've done that .