5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Getting through the firewall on 5th Gen??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 11:23 PM

Getting through the firewall on 5th Gen??

How easy is it to get through the fire wall on a 5th generation. I have a 2002. Is there a pre-drilled hole or do you have to drill it yourself? Curious for installing aftermarket driving lights.

Thanks!
2tTHEMAX
Old 01-26-2002, 12:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Getting through the firewall on 5th Gen??

Originally posted by 2tTHEMAX
How easy is it to get through the fire wall on a 5th generation. I have a 2002. Is there a pre-drilled hole or do you have to drill it yourself? Curious for installing aftermarket driving lights.

Thanks!
2tTHEMAX
The hood release cable is the best way to go. You have to remove the driver side wheel well cover (the one toward the rear) and it should be self explanatory.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:00 AM

Re: Getting through the firewall on 5th Gen??

Originally posted by 2tTHEMAX

Thanks!
2tTHEMAX
There are no pre-drilled holes, at least on my 2000 there aren't. Never tried the hood release cable, it's worth a shot instead of drilling.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:02 PM

There is a large cluster of wires that go through the firewall to the left of the steering column and upwards. The wires exit the cabin into the firewall, going towards the engine bay, in the fender well. You'll need to remove the wheel well lining as N1sMO stated. There is a "membrane" that surrounds the opening, but you can use a screwdirver or pointy device to "open" the hole to stick stuff through.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
There is a large cluster of wires that go through the firewall to the left of the steering column and upwards. The wires exit the cabin into the firewall, going towards the engine bay, in the fender well. You'll need to remove the wheel well lining as N1sMO stated. There is a "membrane" that surrounds the opening, but you can use a screwdirver or pointy device to "open" the hole to stick stuff through.
Problem with that whole deal is that getting the wire on the inside aint no joke, all them wires there and it sort gets stuck there also it sorta falls down into the crank and you never see it. Just takes some patience to find the wire on the inside also.

Dixit
Old 01-26-2002, 11:37 PM
JET Speed Lab

lets see.... it took me 2 hours to drill a whole in my firewall.
and i also broke 2 drill bits, but they were old anyways.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Problem with that whole deal is that getting the wire on the inside aint no joke, all them wires there and it sort gets stuck there also it sorta falls down into the crank and you never see it. Just takes some patience to find the wire on the inside also.

Dixit
The easiest way to get the wires through is to wrap it around a screw driver and poke it through. I ran a wire into the car to control the radiator fans and I used the hood release cable hole because it seemed to be the lowest point as I think the wiring harness is higher up and harder to get to inside the cabin.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:29 PM

Re: Re: Getting through the firewall on 5th Gen??

Originally posted by N1sMO

The hood release cable is the best way to go. You have to remove the driver side wheel well cover (the one toward the rear) and it should be self explanatory.
got any pictures of the hood release cable? i dont want to drill a hole in my fire wall if i dont have to
Old 01-27-2002, 10:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Getting through the firewall on 5th Gen??

Originally posted by BluLite

got any pictures of the hood release cable? i dont want to drill a hole in my fire wall if i dont have to
There's some illustrations toward the middle of this page: http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/gauges.html
Old 01-27-2002, 11:07 PM

radiator fans????

The easiest way to get the wires through is to wrap it around a screw driver and poke it through. I ran a wire into the car to control the radiator fans and I used the hood release cable hole because it seemed to be the lowest point as I think the wiring harness is higher up and harder to get to inside the cabin.
just one question...may be off topic...but why would you want to control the radiator fans???
Old 01-27-2002, 11:24 PM

Re: radiator fans????

Originally posted by 2k1maxgle

just one question...may be off topic...but why would you want to control the radiator fans???
It's just so I can turn them on before the ECU decides to do it, on those hot summer So Cal days. It helps keep the car cool when I'm doing city driving (no need when going at highway speeds). The other way of keeping engine temp down is to turn on the A/C to low setting (which will turn on both radiator fans also).
Old 01-28-2002, 08:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting through the firewall on 5th Gen??

There's some illustrations toward the middle of this page: http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/gauges.html
cool! thanks
Old 01-28-2002, 06:02 PM

Is this the only way to get to the firewall? I already have my fog light wires going through the hood release "membrane", and dont want to send some amp wires through there. Whats a good place to run amp wires into the engine bay?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:49 PM

I found the best way to run the wire is to drill a 3/8" hole mainly depending on wire size. Be sure you have a gromet to put in the hole with the wire so it doesn't get cut on the metal edges. Preferably find a plastic grommet. If you look up under steering wheel you'll see to the left a little notch out in the blacl firewall. Pull the knock out out and drill being extremely careful. Pull wire through with grommet. Then you should run your power wires(12 volt from battery and remote wire) on same side you came through the wall. Then run your RCA's on the passenger side. The panels pull straight up. By the way I really don't think it would be too great to pull maybe a 10-16 gauge wire through a small hole with vital wires that may get burned from wire pulling through tight hole. Wires will rub and burn insulation off of wires going through holes.