Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   02 Nissan Maxima Struts (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/687494-02-nissan-maxima-struts.html)

kingkai1990 06-15-2015 07:35 AM

02 Nissan Maxima Struts

Hi. You all have definitely been a big help lately! :D

I think I need to get the struts changed on my car. It has 150,000 miles I don't think I ever changed the struts. But I'm curious as to what struts I need. Specifically, I see Monroe struts a lot, but what about some other brands like KYB? I was going to get a local mechanic to install them for cheap but want to make sure I do this right.

Also, for an even cheaper price can I do this myself? Thank you!!!

CMax03 06-15-2015 08:20 AM

Keep it simple KYB GR-2's

djfrestyl 06-15-2015 08:45 AM

Seriously? There is a 30 page thread halfway down the page that explains all of this.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...on-thread.html

colt149 06-15-2015 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by kingkai1990 (Post 9053507)
Hi. You all have definitely been a big help lately! :D

I think I need to get the struts changed on my car. It has 150,000 miles I don't think I ever changed the struts. But I'm curious as to what struts I need. Specifically, I see Monroe struts a lot, but what about some other brands like KYB? I was going to get a local mechanic to install them for cheap but want to make sure I do this right.

Also, for an even cheaper price can I do this myself? Thank you!!!

You can buy Tokico Blue or Tokico illumina at autoanything.com which is far better than KYB. Tokico brand is the OEM Genuine Nissan struts the only difference OEM tokico is fluid type while Tokico blue is gas type.

kingkai1990 06-15-2015 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl (Post 9053520)
Seriously? There is a 30 page thread halfway down the page that explains all of this.

You could have at least been a little more useful while you're at it instead of complaining. You've contributed nothing at all. :rolleyes:

djfrestyl 06-15-2015 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by colt149 (Post 9053528)
You can buy Tokico Blue or Tokico illumina at autoanything.com which is far better than KYB. Tokico brand is the OEM Genuine Nissan struts the only difference OEM tokico is fluid type while Tokico blue is gas type.

Not necessarily. All depends on multiple factors that should be considered. Illuminas are overkill for most. Blues are too soft for most. Can't make a sweeping statement like this without taking into consideration the buyer's preferences.

djfrestyl 06-15-2015 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by kingkai1990 (Post 9053537)
You could have at least been a little more useful while you're at it instead of complaining. You've contributed nothing at all. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your opinion.

import_killer 06-15-2015 12:02 PM

I'm ordering sachs for all 4 corners for my mother in-law's I30. I don't think a lot of members have used them. I had nothing but good experiences with them back when I was wrenching.

kingkai1990 06-15-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl (Post 9053548)
Not necessarily. All depends on multiple factors that should be considered. Illuminas are overkill for most. Blues are too soft for most. Can't make a sweeping statement like this without taking into consideration the buyer's preferences.

I just have...um... normal needs I think. :D

djfrestyl 06-15-2015 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by kingkai1990 (Post 9053569)
I just have...um... normal needs I think. :D

Do you like a soft ride? Firm? Adjustable? What's your budget?

These are the inputs I am referring to. People have preferences. Has nothing to do with normality.

mclasser 06-15-2015 02:03 PM

If you want to do the job yourself and save some money, Monroe Quick Struts are good. I have them in my I35. The ride's a little on the softer side but I don't mind. At 150K miles, there's a good chance your strut mounts and dust boots are not long for this world so another benefit with quick struts is all new hardware.

Unclejunebug 06-15-2015 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by kingkai1990 (Post 9053537)
You've contributed nothing at all. :rolleyes:

Right, nothing at all. He's only contributed a 30 page thread of nothing but general suspension questions like this and has assisted a countless number of forum users for several years, myself included. :gotme:

There's nothing wrong with suggesting you search the forum for answers to your questions before starting a new thread with an issue that has already been addressed.

kingkai1990 06-15-2015 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejunebug (Post 9053580)
Right, nothing at all. He's only contributed a 30 page thread of nothing but general suspension questions like this and has assisted a countless number of forum users for several years, myself included. :gotme:

There's nothing wrong with suggesting you search the forum for answers to your questions before starting a new thread with an issue that has already been addressed.

And why did you inject yourself into this thread? Since you can obviously see through my screen, what's my favorite pizza?

For your information, I've already googled information about the struts. I could not find relevant information in terms of brands and their reliability.

Also, a bit of a red herring you threw there. I'm talking in context of MY thread, not what his history is. Before you speak, please read the context of what one is talking about.

There's ways you can address an issue without being a smart *** about something.

Saying ''seriously?" as a reply to a thread does not contribute anything. One could have simply said ''Hey, we already have a thread with lot's of resources with a link here''. That would have been more useful.

Apparently I'm supposed to know every thread that exists that's not in the sticky. :rolleyes:

Mattx 06-15-2015 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by kingkai1990 (Post 9053591)
And why did you inject yourself into this thread? Since you can obviously see through my screen, what's my favorite pizza? For your information, I've already googled information about the struts. I could not find relevant information in terms of brands and their reliability. Also, a bit of a red herring you threw there. I'm talking in context of MY thread, not what his history is. Before you speak, please read the context of what one is talking about. There's ways you can address an issue without being a smart *** about something. Saying ''seriously?" as a reply to a thread does not contribute anything. One could have simply said ''Hey, we already have a thread with lot's of resources with a link here''. That would have been more useful. Apparently I'm supposed to know every thread that exists that's not in the sticky. :rolleyes:

Don't sweat it a lot of people resort to the old use the search cause they had someone say it to them. Fact is if we don't start new threads and talk about old stuff this place would have no interaction. Obviously you're a newer member/poster. So older members should politely take the time to explain things a little better.

Just so you know djfreestyle is probably the most knowledgeable suspension guy on this forum. He's also a hell of a nice guy and he can walk you through any possible questions you could have. So you may want to say your sorry to him and I'm sure he would gladly explain anything you need to you.

cdoublejj 06-15-2015 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by colt149 (Post 9053528)

in what way are they better?

I personally do city / daily driving but, also like to have some extra "sport" handeling for when i get in to it (corners)

EDIT: also the forum upgrade but, tons and tons of old links some old threads are dead ends.

Mattx 06-15-2015 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj (Post 9053678)
in what way are they better? I personally do city / daily driving but, also like to have some extra "sport" handeling for when i get in to it (corners)

I think he means as far as illuminas having the adjustability that the kyb don't offer. I have illuminas and I won't say they're better than kybs cause I've never had them but they sure are extremely nice. I've had a ton of cars over the years, and I got to say the illuminas offer a great ride and having on the fly adjustability is awesome. The only setup I could see being nicer in my opinion would be coilovers.

Mints33 06-15-2015 11:16 PM

2000 SE here ... looking for a nice replacement set of rear shocks. Looking for something sportier than stock, always found the SE not up to par with a sporty ride, so definitely something stiffer. The catch is, I want to maintain stock height.
Thanks for all your help guys

Mattx 06-16-2015 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mints33 (Post 9053690)
2000 SE here ... looking for a nice replacement set of rear shocks. Looking for something sportier than stock, always found the SE not up to par with a sporty ride, so definitely something stiffer. The catch is, I want to maintain stock height. Thanks for all your help guys

To keep stock height just keep stock springs. I think kyb offer a slightly stiffer ride.

Mints33 06-16-2015 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx (Post 9053699)
To keep stock height just keep stock springs. I think kyb offer a slightly stiffer ride.

How reliable are the KYB's? Stock reliability? Or somewhere close?

boondoxmax 06-16-2015 06:21 AM

I had tokico blues on stock springs for about a year and wasn't to crazy out it. The ride was softer than stock. It was really noticeable in the rear. I ended up buying OE from Nissan and selling my blues to a orger from Rhode Island. May blues should only be used with lowering springs??

Mattx 06-16-2015 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mints33 (Post 9053708)
How reliable are the KYB's? Stock reliability? Or somewhere close?

Don't know never had them.

Mattx 06-16-2015 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax (Post 9053713)
I had tokico blues on stock springs for about a year and wasn't to crazy out it. The ride was softer than stock. It was really noticeable in the rear. I ended up buying OE from Nissan and selling my blues to a orger from Rhode Island. May blues should only be used with lowering springs??

Blues and illuminas are not in the same ballpark.

Unclejunebug 06-16-2015 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by kingkai1990
And why did you inject yourself into this thread? Since you can obviously see through my screen, what's my favorite pizza?

I have no idea. Suggesting I can see through your screen is ridiculous.

For your information, I've already googled information about the struts. I could not find relevant information in terms of brands and their reliability.

Your original question asks nothing about brand reliability. Just simply, "What struts do I need?"

Also, a bit of a red herring you threw there. I'm talking in context of MY thread, not what his history is. Before you speak, please read the context of what one is talking about.

My response was not misleading at all. The context of your thread is the same as the thread mentioned (actually linked to) by djfrestyl. General suspension questions. He started the thread so others could ask questions and everything would be within the same thread for reference.

There's ways you can address an issue without being a smart *** about something.

I completely agree. So take it down a notch.

Saying ''seriously?" as a reply to a thread does not contribute anything. One could have simply said ''Hey, we already have a thread with lot's of resources with a link here''. That would have been more useful.

I agree, and his response may have been a bit brash. Though he did link to the thread he mentioned.

Apparently I'm supposed to know every thread that exists that's not in the sticky. :rolleyes:

Of course not. No one can know the contents of every thread ever created on the forum. But if you're only looking in the stickies then you're not searching the vast wealth of information that can be found by clicking the search button.

Bottom line, you're here requesting FREE advice from people who are taking time out of their day to help YOU. Based off your OP it sounds like you've already received lots of help, and that's fantastic. But if you receive a response that's doesn't align with what you're looking for, don't take it personally.

Anyways, good luck with your struts. I hope you find what you're looking for.

boondoxmax 06-17-2015 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx (Post 9053720)
Blues and illuminas are not in the same ballpark.

Yeah I know, but I was just giving my opinion on blues because theres lots of threads stating blues are stiffer than stock and I don't believe that to be true. :confused:

Mattx 06-17-2015 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax (Post 9054058)
Yeah I know, but I was just giving my opinion on blues because theres lots of threads stating blues are stiffer than stock and I don't believe that to be true. :confused:

Ohh I wasn't sure what you were saying.

NmexMAX 06-18-2015 09:29 AM

:mad:

Prophecy99 06-18-2015 09:47 AM

best info in this thread, thanks for posting your experience with blues.

i was under the impression blues felt like a 3 out of 5 on the illumina setting scale, but based on what your saying seems like 1 or less.

george__ 06-18-2015 12:18 PM

I bet the springs you use will make a greater difference

Prophecy99 06-19-2015 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by george__ (Post 9054206)

good point also

boondoxmax 06-19-2015 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Yes I also believe that to be true. Stock struts are pretty stiff on these cars. You put blues on stock springs and the car rode almost like a caddy:laugh:. Only downside is the cost of OE shocks/struts, but I like the way the car rides and handles compared to blues and stock springs. If you get blues then get yourself some got sports springs.
Attachment 16694

djfrestyl 06-22-2015 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99 (Post 9054173)
i was under the impression blues felt like a 3 out of 5 on the illumina setting scale, but based on what your saying seems like 1 or less.

Blues, without a doubt, are softer than OEM. I would say Illuminas at setting 2 are equivalent to OEM. Agree that Illuminas at setting 1 or less would be equal to Blues

Everyone should remember that your spring selection dictates your strut selection, not the other way around. Pick your springs based on stiffness, ride height, etc, then pick your struts. There are only certain struts that mate properly to certain springs.

Originally Posted by boondoxmax (Post 9054489)
If you get blues then get yourself some got sports springs.

If you get Blues do NOT get lowering springs. They are not designed to handle lowered cars and will fail prematurely.

cdoublejj 06-22-2015 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx (Post 9053684)
I think he means as far as illuminas having the adjustability that the kyb don't offer. I have illuminas and I won't say they're better than kybs cause I've never had them but they sure are extremely nice. I've had a ton of cars over the years, and I got to say the illuminas offer a great ride and having on the fly adjustability is awesome. The only setup I could see being nicer in my opinion would be coilovers.

how much do the illuminas cost and where can get them? how much would coils over cost and don't must suggest tein coilovers and don't sacrifice comfortably for handling? i'm assuming the illuminas have a nice balance?

EDIT: how on the fly adjustable are the illuminas? by a switch or getting out and using a wrench?

djfrestyl 06-23-2015 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj (Post 9055086)
how much do the illuminas cost and where can get them? how much would coils over cost and don't must suggest tein coilovers and don't sacrifice comfortably for handling? i'm assuming the illuminas have a nice balance?

EDIT: how on the fly adjustable are the illuminas? by a switch or getting out and using a wrench?

Anywhere from $350-$450 for a set. Then you factor in boots, mounts, springs, install and you're right about the same price as new coilovers, which are $800+.

However, even though they are the same price, you have to be careful to automatically assume it's a better option to get coils. Coilovers are NOT maintenance free, have shorter longevity, are not as comfortable. But the performance is fantastic. Make your decision wisely based on your preferences.

Illuminas are very easy to adjust. Small flathead screwdriver to the center of the strut piston. That's under the hood for the fronts, but in the trunk for the rears. Generally I've found that once someone finds the setting that works for them, its rare for them to change the dampening.

Prophecy99 06-23-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl (Post 9055108)
Anywhere from $350-$450 for a set. Then you factor in boots, mounts, springs, install and you're right about the same price as new coilovers, which are $800+.

However, even though they are the same price, you have to be careful to automatically assume it's a better option to get coils. Coilovers are NOT maintenance free, have shorter longevity, are not as comfortable. But the performance is fantastic. Make your decision wisely based on your preferences.

Illuminas are very easy to adjust. Small flathead screwdriver to the center of the strut piston. That's under the hood for the fronts, but in the trunk for the rears. Generally I've found that once someone finds the setting that works for them, its rare for them to change the dampening.

+8 great info, also if you are in the north i was under the impression the cold winter puts more stress on the hydralics of c/os also. so even less of a life in northern winters,
but TEIN SS i heard did ok regardless but they were $1200 c/os

djfrestyl 06-23-2015 01:44 PM

On the same argument, the cold weather / salt puts stress on all suspension components, including struts.

Mattx 06-24-2015 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj (Post 9055086)
how much do the illuminas cost and where can get them? how much would coils over cost and don't must suggest tein coilovers and don't sacrifice comfortably for handling? i'm assuming the illuminas have a nice balance? EDIT: how on the fly adjustable are the illuminas? by a switch or getting out and using a wrench?

You can get good deals on illuminas. It's like everything else you have too shop around and wait sometimes. Last year there were certain times on Amazon that I saw them for as low as 120ish for fronts. Illuminas do have a nice balance of comfort and handling. They are easy to adjust, by taking a screw driver and turning an adjuster on top of strut. They've held up great so far for me in hot and cold weather. I really like them. From everything I've read illuminas and h&r springs make a very good combination.

Prophecy99 06-25-2015 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx (Post 9055371)
You can get good deals on illuminas. It's like everything else you have too shop around and wait sometimes. Last year there were certain times on Amazon that I saw them for as low as 120ish for fronts. Illuminas do have a nice balance of comfort and handling. They are easy to adjust, by taking a screw driver and turning an adjuster on top of strut. They've held up great so far for me in hot and cold weather. I really like them. From everything I've read illuminas and h&r springs make a very good combination.

other than the un even drop of H&R droopy bum look

djfrestyl 06-25-2015 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99 (Post 9055612)
other than the un even drop of H&R droopy bum look

It's really not that bad. The 'rumor' of this has perpetuated for a long time, and makes it out to be worse than reality.

Prophecy99 06-25-2015 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by djfrestyl (Post 9055619)
It's really not that bad. The 'rumor' of this has perpetuated for a long time, and makes it out to be worse than reality.

i dont know, i respect your opinion but, mine is rough in my point of view.

Attachment 16674

sept 2009 ^ upgraded tire wall size, front spacers, and new grille since then. but from the little sag, to the wider front wheel well it was kinda rough (this angle of picture exaggerates it too, but i believe that was pretty level ground

cdoublejj 06-27-2015 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx (Post 9055371)

H&R springs? i'm also curios what fresh set of OEM stockers would be like. since some say the illuminas are softer than stock. i also wonder if coil overs still ride smoother than soon to be completely shot struts. mine are there way out bu, the car doesn't see saw when i stop yet. the suspension BANGS and bottoms somewhat often though.