5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rusted Lower Rad Support-Daughter Says Car Goes

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by mcz0119
Can anyone recommend a good car shop in the Orlando, Florida area to replace my rusted lower rad? I went to one place and was quoted $1000. Seems a bit on the high end.

thanks
I'm not in FL, but as a price reference, I bought the OEM part myself and found a local autobody shop to do the removal & install for $250 cash. Idk if that's good or not, but figured it was ok considering all the spot welds he had to drill out. Plus I don't weld. He also coated the new rad support after welding as part of the deal.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:49 PM

Oil Pan

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
You might want to at least clean up and spray that lower oil pan...
Oil pan has since been replaced.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by hcarter1112
I would love to see more picks and get more specifics on how you did that. How long ago did you do it and has it held up over time?

O and you weren't the person i was referring to but this is a great idea!!
It's been in there for over a year and still holding up fine. Coming up on hard Canadian winter #2. Just keeping fingers crossed that the rest of the factory steel around it holds up. I rust-check the hell out of it fairly regular-like to slow down the cancer as best as I can.

I can send you all the pics I have if you like. The only part that isn't so obvious is the block that the big bolts thread into. Unfortunately none of this would be easy to do without machine tools.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Did you ever consider offering this as a kit and selling it here? I kind of think you might get some takers.
I kind of figured as much but it's not my shop. Something I put together on coffee breaks and lunch hours when machines were available. Just not cost or time effective unfortunately.

I hope the idea can inspire some handy types to copy or adapt it for themselves though. That's the main reason I shared. I looked at what others had done and took it to the next level (because I could). It's just an evolution of what I had already seen.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here is how I fixed my lower rad support this summer. I had a local machine shop bend a flat sheet of steel (cost me $35 for steel and labor). After cleaning up the area, I sleeve this u-channel over and bolt it on. Total cost is approx $50 with rust treatment, primer, paint, and some hardware. So far it's holding up pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Rusted Lower Rad Support-Daughter Says Car Goes-maxrad1.jpg   Rusted Lower Rad Support-Daughter Says Car Goes-maxrad2.jpg   Rusted Lower Rad Support-Daughter Says Car Goes-maxrad3.jpg   Rusted Lower Rad Support-Daughter Says Car Goes-maxrad4.jpg   Rusted Lower Rad Support-Daughter Says Car Goes-maxrad5.jpg  

Old 10-21-2015, 07:10 PM

just finished removing my lower rad support this afternoon. Its been a pain but with a sawzall, spot weld cutting drill bit and some cold chisels I've gotten it ready to install the new one in about 10 hrs labor, and the biggest job I've done prior to this was gutting my cats and replacing struts. Not horrible overall.

Luckily my gf's father let me borrow their mustang for the week... I might just run into some "complications" on this job.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by batman
Here is how I fixed my lower rad support this summer. I had a local machine shop bend a flat sheet of steel (cost me $35 for steel and labor). After cleaning up the area, I sleeve this u-channel over and bolt it on. Total cost is approx $50 with rust treatment, primer, paint, and some hardware. So far it's holding up pretty good.
Very impressive!