5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:08 PM

Good deal?

http://sheboygan.craigslist.org/cto/5261333699.html

I'm going to check out this Maxima tonight. I texted him asking for more rust pictures on the rear wheel wells. The pictures he sent showed that is was just starting to peek on the body of the car. Nothing terrible though and certainly not the worst out there. I know the miles are a bit high which does concern me a bit. He said he's owned the car since 2004 so he is most likely the 2nd owner. He also said he had it maintained/serviced regularly. If he isn't lying, the miles shouldn't be of a concern, right? How long are these 3.5L's good for? Since it has fairly high miles and rust, I'd offer him $3000 for the car, which isn't bad. Do you guys think it's worth it?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:11 PM

To start with, 147K miles is within what is considered average. The average car is driven 12K to 15K miles a year. The Nissan VQ engine will go 300K miles easy with maintenance.

Ask about things like when were the spark plugs last changed, when were the struts changed. Was the transmission ever serviced?

But never trust a used car seller. At the minimum, connect an OBD code reader and check for codes. It's fairly common for a seller to remove the check engine light bulb. If you don't have an OBD code reader, take the car to an auto parts store. They read the codes for free.

I wonder if this car was in an accident. Looking at the one photo, the hood alignment could be off. Get the VIN and run a CarFax on it. All that should be there will be ownership transfer and license renewal. Car accidents will also be on there, but that is not a guaranteed thing.

Find a mechanic that will do an inspection for you and take it to him. If the seller balks at this, he is hiding something.

Lastly, the price. I went on Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) and entered the info for this car. With some rust, it falls into the GOOD category and has a value of $2735.

The car should be a good running car. But unless the guy has put some nice modifications in the car, I think the price is a it too high.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
To start with, 147K miles is within what is considered average. The average car is driven 12K to 15K miles a year. The Nissan VQ engine will go 300K miles easy with maintenance.

Ask about things like when were the spark plugs last changed, when were the struts changed. Was the transmission ever serviced?

But never trust a used car seller. At the minimum, connect an OBD code reader and check for codes. It's fairly common for a seller to remove the check engine light bulb. If you don't have an OBD code reader, take the car to an auto parts store. They read the codes for free.

I wonder if this car was in an accident. Looking at the one photo, the hood alignment could be off. Get the VIN and run a CarFax on it. All that should be there will be ownership transfer and license renewal. Car accidents will also be on there, but that is not a guaranteed thing.

Find a mechanic that will do an inspection for you and take it to him. If the seller balks at this, he is hiding something.

Lastly, the price. I went on Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) and entered the info for this car. With some rust, it falls into the GOOD category and has a value of $2735.

The car should be a good running car. But unless the guy has put some nice modifications in the car, I think the price is a it too high.
Thanks for your feedback. I checked out the car today. The body was in fair condition. Bubbled rust on the rear wheel wells, dent under the door trim on the driver side door, it has a mark on the rear dumper from it being back into something, etc.

Now mechanically, I'm not too sure about this car. The guy was very nice and told me it was a family car the entire time they owned it so I can imagine that the car wasn't pounded on. He had a huge stack of receipts and paper work of all the repairs and maintenance that was done to it. Some of those repairs include a new radiator, new CV axle and bearing, spark plugs, tires and brakes 20000 miles ago, exhaust leak repaired, etc. I mean it sounds like this thing was taken care of.

He told me that a small oil leak appeared fairly recently. He said in 2 or 3 days, it only makes a quarter sized mark on the ground, so nothing too severe, but something to consider. And here's the thing with the transmission, when you get on the gas, it seems to shift fine through the gears. But if you give it normal acceleration, going into 2nd or 3rd gear, it will go in very rough and kind of jerk the car. It will sometimes delay the shift where it seems like it has to "find" the gear like it hesitates before shifting. Is this something severe?

I'm hoping the oil is just a valve cover gasket, but I don't know what to do about the transmission. Can anybody refer me to an article about these transmissions and their problems?

It's also with mentioning that it's fully loaded and everything works. So with that said and the few problems, I'd start at $2800 and pay no more than $3000 for the car. Is this a good investment?
Old 10-11-2015, 07:08 PM

I'd keep looking.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 PM

That's the thing, I can't really find any other good ones without driving very far.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Bad *** Newb

High enough miles that she may be eating oil from the cats. Risky business buying any 02-08 VQ35 (and 05-10 VQ40). If the cats don't get ya on 5.5 gens, then the timing chain guides will get ya on the others.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 AM

You said the car is "fully loaded." While it has a lot of things that you think are options, that car is a standard Maxima. That's the way they all are. That car is not a "one of a kind."

When you throw in the transmission shifting quirk, $3000 becomes way too much. Even at $2500, you still are not getting a good deal. Auto trans repairs are not cheap.

I doubt if the owner would take $2000 since he is listing it for $3500. Walk away.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:31 PM

That's what I was planning on doing, just passing on it. Appreciate the feed back. I've found some more in the northern Illinois area so I'll text this guys and see what goes on.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:35 PM

I just came upon this one:

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/5236933508.html

This one looks to be in great shape. Low miles, decent price. I should probably text this guy considering he's not too far away.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaNoob1

This one looks to be in great shape. Low miles, decent price. I should probably text this guy considering he's not too far away.

An 8 cylinder Max! Be suspicious is an understatement
Old 10-13-2015, 03:49 AM

let us know about this one...looks much better than the other one.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:12 AM

Calling this car an 8 cylinder is definitely a mistake. But otherwise the photos don't show any glaring problems, but the photos aren't that great.

But all the same things apply as before - run a carfax, hook up an OBD code reader, see if you can find a local mechanic to do an inspection.

The radio has been replaced, which I consider a good point. It is a GLE model, so it originally had a Bose radio that last 10 to 12 years.

The photo of the driver's seat shows the leather getting ready to rip/tear. Another year or two and it will need repair.

It also has heated seats, a nice feature to have in February. Check to see that they work. Use the high heat setting as it is possible for them to work on low but not on high. Both the seat back and the seat cushion have heating pads in them.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:54 PM

I don't think the photos are that bad. I mean certainly not the best, but at least it gives a good picture of the car. I don't have an OBD scanner and I'm not from Milwaukee so I don't know about taking it to a mechanic because I don't know any of them up there. I texted him and he said the brakes look good, tires appear to be good, ash tray is clean so never smoked in. Said he doesn't have any maintenance records, but said the car shifts fast and smooth. If the engine is in good condition, I think it'd be a great car.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:01 PM

If I do buy this car, first things I'd do would be an oil change. I wouldn't care if he changed it 30 minutes before I showed up, I'm gonna change it so I know it's done correctly and so I know what oil is in it. I'd also vacuum out the entire car and clean he whole inside. Pulls the seats out and vacuum under everything. Just get the car up to a good, solid state.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:27 PM

I understand the part about finding a mechanic you can trust in a strange city.

But you can test drive the car to an auto parts store and they will hook up a reader for no charge.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:53 PM

I'm 17, and my dad is now telling me that I can't buy it until a certified mechanic checks it out first. I am perfectly capable myself to go over it and see if it's a good car. After all, I did my own Lower Intake Manifold gasket on my Grand prix. I know a thing or two about cars in general. I have a pretty good idea of what to look for. Because obviously I'm gonna buy a car that leaks a bunch of oil.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:13 PM

I'm 17, and my dad is now telling me that I can't buy it until a certified mechanic checks it out first. I am perfectly capable myself to go over it and see if it's a good car. After all, I did my own Lower Intake Manifold gasket on my Grand prix. I know a thing or two about cars in general. I have a pretty good idea of what to look for. Because obviously I'm gonna buy a car that leaks a bunch of oil.
Show some respect. Listen too your dad. If you do those two things you'll be surprised how much you'll learn.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Show some respect. Listen too your dad. If you do those two things you'll be surprised how much you'll learn.
But my dad knows like nothing about cars. He takes his car in EVERY time it needs something done. So he is one who thinks mechanics are always right and know what they're doing. Well, the mechanic we took my Grand Prix to missed an obvious oil and coolant leak. Mmmmhmmmm, I found that in 1 minute after looking in the engine bay. Anything a mechanic would do to my car to check it over I could do, except for the OBDII reader. I'm not gonna let this car slip out of my hands just because my dad doesn't know what he's talking about.

Last edited by MaximaNoob1; 10-15-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:50 AM

But my dad knows like nothing about cars. He takes his car in EVERY time it needs something done. So he is one who thinks mechanics are always right and know what they're doing. Well, the mechanic we took my Grand Prix to missed an obvious oil and coolant leak. Mmmmhmmmm, I found that in 1 minute after looking in the engine bay. Anything a mechanic would do to my car to check it over I could do, except for the OBDII reader. I'm not gonna let this car slip out of my hands just because my dad doesn't know what he's talking about.
hey not trying to tell u what to do, but best to listen to your parents because when you try to get insurance on that car, you will think twice about it at your age.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Ah to be young again...teenagers...they are experts in everything and know all by the age of 15!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:47 AM

why not buy an odb reader for about 10 bucks if that's the only thing holding you back?