5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

aftermarket radio no steering wheel control

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:25 PM

aftermarket radio no steering wheel control

Ok so I was aware that the control wouldn't work after the install so i bought a axxess aswc 1 steering wheel adapter but i have no idea how to install it.....can someone tell me how
Old 12-26-2015, 11:48 AM

Here is a link to the axxess installation guide. It should be of some help.

http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...icle/10985.pdf
Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM

thanks again Dennis !! for all your clutch information and knowledge !!
Old 04-13-2019, 01:01 AM
Father of the 00 VI

I am sorry but what is this for and what radio's does it work for? I am clueless?

Whats a good radio that looks good in the opening.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2019, 12:43 PM

What is what for? Did you forget to attach a photo or something. To borrow your words, I am clueless on this point.

As for what looks good, you will have to look at the radios and decide for yourself. I bought a Kenwood without thinking about looks and didn't like the looks after I got it.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:26 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by DennisMik
What is what for? Did you forget to attach a photo or something. To borrow your words, I am clueless on this point.

As for what looks good, you will have to look at the radios and decide for yourself. I bought a Kenwood without thinking about looks and didn't like the looks after I got it.
what is this ?"axxess aswc 1 steering wheel adapter" topic of thread. I have never even replaced a radio in a car. Don't really listen to them.

And what i meant by looks is fitment and gaps . I could care less what the radio looks like.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM

krismax,
I installed an Alpine ilx-w650 recently. I wanted something that fit the dash opening and would support Android Auto so that I could run maps off of my phone and stream music. I bought the unit from Crutchfield and they threw in the dash kit, harness and antenna adapter for no additional charge. I do not use the steering controls so I did not get the axxess kit which they also offer. The trickiest part was wiring the connection to the parking brake which is needed for access to Android Auto and setting up Bluetooth streaming. The FSM has a good diagram that explains how to remove the center console to get access to the parking brake switch.

Crutchfield has a good tool on their site to find units that fit the 5th Gen.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Thanks for the info. That looks like a really good fit.

I will look into it.

I have a lot to learn about audio.

I need the steering controls,because i can't reach the radio .Also will it work with Bose speakers?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 AM

crutchfield , is clutch, they will literally give you everything you need and bundled discount, and have tech support, I had a snag with the axxess steering kit, and they helped me figure it out, couldn't recommend them enough, all parts fit and everything worked, i never did any stereo install before, and when you keep the factory bose amp and speakers it makes it that more complicated w a line level converter, the install was the farthest thing from plug and play and I did it all my self.

i will post pic of my alpine, and sorry you didnt think about much for your HU Dennis ! i love my alpine and its colors (screen and buttons) are fully customizable. to any one reading this, make sure you get the gray dash kit, since the heater buttons and vents are all gray. matches nicely
Old 04-15-2019, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2albatross
The trickiest part was wiring the connection to the parking brake which is needed for access to Android Auto and setting up Bluetooth streaming.
These work great. Even if you don't want access to all features when your not in park it's easier then running wires to parking brake sensors.

But really who wants to be in park to do anything with your head unit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPINE-ILX-...sAAOSwFuxZxoIk
Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM

i like the idea of that feature, but yea wow ! i understand now what he was saying with the parking brake.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Theslaking
These work great. Even if you don't want access to all features when your not in park it's easier then running wires to parking brake sensors.

Thanks for the link,will buy.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 PM

Theslaking is providing good information for anyone who wants to tackle this job quickly without taking apart the center console. I was not aware of this process until after I installed the unit and saw that I was missing the Bluetooth and Android Auto features. There were some sites on the web that claim that you can ground the parking brake cable but that does not work with the Alpine iLX-W650. I also saw some bypass units out there but at that point I just wanted the radio to work so I took the center console apart.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
crutchfield , is clutch, they will literally give you everything you need and bundled discount, and have tech support, I had a snag with the axxess steering kit, and they helped me figure it out, couldn't recommend them enough, all parts fit and everything worked, i never did any stereo install before, and when you keep the factory bose amp and speakers it makes it that more complicated w a line level converter, the install was the farthest thing from plug and play and I did it all my self.
Prophecy 99,
True.
This was also my first radio install.
The folks at Crutchfield even managed to beat Amazon and like you said all of the parts worked together seamlessly. They also provided what they call a Master Sheet that guides you through the installation.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:36 AM

still with our car there were things off the paper you had to visualize and figure out, i had about 12-15 pages of stuff to put together and cross coordinate. but yea ! can't recommend them enough.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Car stereo's are my deal. I've done hundreds of headunit installs over the years. Used to go to competition's with my first 5th gen. However, the one I have now is the first car I have ever made performance oriented upgrades to.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:20 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Car stereo's are my deal. I've done hundreds of headunit installs over the years. Used to go to competition's with my first 5th gen. However, the one I have now is the first car I have ever made performance oriented upgrades to.
So do you recommend i get rid of the bose?

I switched stock radios, but it's a different part number. Steering controls don't work and it seems back speakers don't work. But also after my car fire ,there coated with tar.I don't really want to replace everything.It's a 2000 radio ,i think they didn't have controls.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:36 PM

They had steering wheel controls on the stereo's in 2000. If both rear speakers cut out at the same time it is likely the headunit. They obviously aren't playing as designed if they are covered in crud but that shouldn't have forced them to stop.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:42 PM

And yes the Bose speakers suck to me but it's good for most. I modified one of my Bose units with ADP2 Bluetooth in place of the changer and the volume and preset now control my DSP. The disc still works. I took the tape mech out. I'm actually going to nicely enlarge the tape slot so it becomes a phone holder. So what I'm saying is the headunit puts out a clean enough signal to sound good.

Last edited by Theslaking; 04-25-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 AM

my tape player stopped working and i couldnt get it to work after I installed an AUX cord on the computerboard of the tape channel. what r u doing differently? did u add an aux cord to the bose head unit?
Old 04-17-2019, 07:13 AM

my tape player stopped working and i couldnt get it to work after I installed an AUX cord on the computerboard of the tape channel. what r u doing differently? did u add an aux cord to the bose head unit?
Used the CD changer port instead of the tape deck.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:06 PM

Is it possible to get an aux cord in the back of the Bose headunit?
Old 04-18-2019, 12:46 PM

Used the CD changer port instead of the tape deck.
i thought about doing this before doing a head unit swap, care to elaborate? does the cd port have a similar circuit board to understand where to put the aux cord? how do you turn on your aux channel now? CD1 ?
Old 04-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ukmastermind
Is it possible to get an aux cord in the back of the Bose headunit?
yes search around theres a how to, make sure your tape player works first, i just did it and my tape player didn't work before i did it, and the aux install was correct and had a connection, but with no functioning tape channel it didn't work.

at the end of the day I do not regret getting a real headunit, so much better in many many ways, one big way is i can hit next track or previous track on my streeing wheel while listening to blue tooth audio from a phone
Old 04-18-2019, 01:14 PM

yes search around theres a how to, make sure your tape player works first, i just did it and my tape player didn't work before i did it, and the aux install was correct and had a connection, but with no functioning tape channel it didn't work.

at the end of the day I do not regret getting a real headunit, so much better in many many ways, one big way is i can hit next track or previous track on my streeing wheel while listening to blue tooth audio from a phone
Interesting. I will look into this.
Any idea if the Metra 99-7609G Dash Kit (Crutchfield) matches well with the Tan Brown I35 interior? The pics above look pretty good, but not sure how different Maxima is to I35.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Banned

Jesus, you youngsters are killing me.
I was getting Crutchfield catalog through the mail back in the mid-1980s, back when car stereo really WAS a kind of tech-art, back when companies like the REAL Nakamichi, Alpine, Blaupunkt, and Soundstream ruled the roost-- not the junk those brands are nowadays. Take a look at your Alpine head unit. Does it have slanted lines before the "A"? If so then it's not a real Alpine. And it was quality over convenience-- steering wheel controls were the LAST thing on anyone's mind. You had to figure out for yourself how to do complicated installs back then, and if you could then the results were amazing. Unlike today where they cater to the impatient want-it-now ME generation. I wouldn't care so much of they had kept the quality and simply added the conveniences, but they didn't. And Crutchfield vs Amazon??? Ppppffhhht. If that's what the comparison is nowadays then that's an insult to what Crutchfield used to be.

Last edited by chop_sooie; 04-18-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:51 AM

i lost you man ! take a deep breath

dude i thought it was incredible they were able to help me over the phone. it sounds like you are bitter that i got help from crutch field over the phone and didnt struggle like it was the 80s w no tech support or google, and it sounds like you are bitter that i can hit next track with my steering wheel controls. lol

i used to get the magazine too in the 90's bud, take a deep breath ! welcome to 2019 and embrace it or stay mad. and i couldnt reccomend crutchfield enough ! i feel they have kept up w the times incredibly with my purchase and install experience, vs just a sales magazine 20 - 30 years ago.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:54 AM

Interesting. I will look into this.
Any idea if the Metra 99-7609G Dash Kit (Crutchfield) matches well with the Tan Brown I35 interior? The pics above look pretty good, but not sure how different Maxima is to I35.
crutch field offers 2 colors black and gray for the 5.5 gen maxima, you need to look up your car and see what they say. not sure on the I35 interior.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:04 AM
Father of the 00 VI

i lost you man ! take a deep breath

dude i thought it was incredible they were able to help me over the phone. it sounds like you are bitter that i got help from crutch field over the phone and didnt struggle like it was the 80s w no tech support or google, and it sounds like you are bitter that i can hit next track with my steering wheel controls. lol

i used to get the magazine too in the 90's bud, take a deep breath ! welcome to 2019 and embrace it or stay mad. and i couldnt reccomend crutchfield enough ! i feel they have kept up w the times incredibly with my purchase and install experience, vs just a sales magazine 20 - 30 years ago.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Prophecy,
True. I also grew up with Crutchfield magazines delivered to my house but the Crutchfield site is far superior to the magazine. The truth is that no one is stopping anyone from refusing the wiring harness and deleting the master sheet and winging it. If a company can provide a service that is going to save me countless hours of time I am going to take the free help. You can always make money but you can never get another minute of time. I read that somewhere and it stuck with me. The wealthiest man on the planet cannot buy a minute more when his time comes so why spend 8 hours installing a radio if you can do it in 2 with the same result? You can then take that extra 6 hours and spend it with some loved ones. If someone enjoys 8 hours of struggle they should go for it.

Last edited by 2k2albatross; 04-22-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maxboy23
Ok so I was aware that the control wouldn't work after the install so i bought a axxess aswc 1 steering wheel adapter but i have no idea how to install it.....can someone tell me how
Did you ever get the steering wheel controls to work ?
Does this adapter/new stereo affect the "trip" button next to the audio controls?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2k2albatross
Prophecy,
True. I also grew up with Crutchfield magazines delivered to my house but the Crutchfield site is far superior to the magazine. The truth is that no one is stopping anyone from refusing the wiring harness and deleting the master sheet and winging it. If a company can provide a service that is going to save me countless hours of time I am going to take the free help. You can always make money but you can never get another minute of time. I read that somewhere and it stuck with me. The wealthiest man on the planet cannot buy a minute more when his time comes so why spend 8 hours installing a radio if you can do it in 2 with the same result? You can then take that extra 6 hours and spend it with some loved ones. If someone enjoys 8 hours of struggle they should go for it.
I never said word one about whether Crutchfield these days is helpful ot not. Not one word. Show me where I did.
I said the fact that you compare what Crutchfield is selling these days to the junk on Amazon is telling of what the world of auto audio has become. My comments were about the quality of the products available today vs the outstanding quality they used to be and what Crutchfield used to sell. Back then, you'd comare what was in the Crutchfield catalog to what the high end stereo shops in your area had to offer. Now you're comparing it to Amazon, that's horrible. My point was that I grew up in a time when people actually cherished car audio and it was like a sort of tech-art form not grab it and go mentality of today that you youngsters have introduced to the world. Not only did there used to be care and concern spent on manufacturing these products but also in the way they were installed, it took thought. Your generation has erased that mentality and the quality that came with it.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by chop_sooie
I never said word one about whether Crutchfield these days is helpful ot not. Not one word. Show me where I did.
I said the fact that you compare what Crutchfield is selling these days to the junk on Amazon is telling of what the world of auto audio has become. My comments were about the quality of the products available today vs the outstanding quality they used to be and what Crutchfield used to sell. Back then, you'd comare what was in the Crutchfield catalog to what the high end stereo shops in your area had to offer. Now you're comparing it to Amazon, that's horrible. My point was that I grew up in a time when people actually cherished car audio and it was like a sort of tech-art form not grab it and go mentality of today that you youngsters have introduced to the world. Not only did there used to be care and concern spent on manufacturing these products but also in the way they were installed, it took thought. Your generation has erased that mentality and the quality that came with it.
I don't want to lose the functionality of my steering wheel controls. I feel like it's kind of a big deal .
Old 04-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Banned

I don't want to lose the functionality of my steering wheel controls. I feel like it's kind of a big deal .
It's not. Sound quality is.

But thanks for EXACTLY proving my point.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 AM
Father of the 00 VI

What's funny is i can't reach the radio ....so without the steering controls. I can't use it.

So it proves no point.

Your the type of person who says "if i don't like it nobody should" That's exactly why humans are different from animals and special. I don't like Susy but others do ,and that's fine. I don't try to dissuade them.

That's what you sound like. If someone wants to put 5 head units in there car and put in 5 steering wheels with controls,that's fine because that's what they WANT.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:23 AM

I like Pioneer Speakers and head units.

P.S. About those steering wheel controls........ any thoughts?
P.P.S. Not sure what your point is?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Banned

LOL two posters come back on here saying they don't know what my point is after I clearly spelled it out it 3 times.
I'll try again.
Youngsters like yourselves, part of the "ME" generation because that's all you care about, put convenience above everything else at the expense of quality. You are the enablers that have allowed manufacturers to start making s*** products because they know you don't care so long as you have a button you don't have to reach too far to activate. So it escapes me the reasoning behind spending a ton of money putting some aftermarket crap (which even the big names are now) auto sound in your car when the number one reason for doing that should be-- you know-- better sound quality. If your generation cared as much about quality as we did in the 80s, Crutchfield wouldn't be able to get away with simply selling the same crap you can find on Amazon now. And you might be able to figure out some install solutions yourselves instead of relying on a company drone to spell it out for you. Laziness is the name of the game with you all. The fact that neither of you apparently have reading comprehension enough to figure out what I was saying when it was spelled RIGHT out for you in 3 posts again makes my point for me. But you all will just come on here and post again that you don't understand my point, because your generation has killed actual thought process.

Last edited by chop_sooie; 04-24-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Banned

I like Pioneer Speakers and head units.
I'm sure you do-- because you can get that brand cheap and quick at WalMart, not because it's quality.
Pioneer USED to be very good quality, before they sold out and started making all their head units look like Christmas trees. But that's what your generation wants these days over quality, so that's what they did. Again, THERE'S MY POINT which seems so difficult for you to grasp.

Last edited by chop_sooie; 04-24-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:34 AM

LOL two posters come back on here saying they don't know what my point is after I clearly spelled it out it 3 times.
I'll try again.
Youngsters like yourselves, part of the "ME" generation because that's all you care about, put convenience above everything else at the expense of quality. You are the enablers that have allowed manufacturers to start making s*** products because they know you don't care so long as you have a button you don't have to reach too far to activate. So it escapes me the reasoning behind spending a ton of money putting some aftermarket crap (which even the big names are now) auto sound in your car when the number one reason for doing that should be-- you know-- better sound quality. If your generation cared as much about quality as we did in the 80s, Crutchfield wouldn't be able to get away with simply selling the same crap you can find on Amazon now. And you might be able to figure out some install solutions yourselves instead of relying on a company drone to spell it out for you. Laziness is the name of the game with you all. The fact that neither of you apparently have reading comprehension enough to figure out what I was saying when it was spelled RIGHT out for you in 3 posts again makes my point for me. But you all will just come on here and post again that you don't understand my point, because your generation has killed actual thought process.
All this because people want to continue using factory steering wheel controls?
Amazing.....
Old 04-24-2019, 05:40 PM

Carpc joycon controls could probably work. They can be programmed to have the buttons control whatever your want.

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio no steering wheel control