5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Battery/Brake light, confused

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Battery/Brake light, confused

So here's the full story.
I was working, I'm a deliver driver, and my car just randomly decides not to accelerate more than 5 mph, and would randomly start speeding up like normal. Then it dies completely. I took it to get my alternator replaced with a new one. When they did, my radio wasn't working at all but the car was running. Low and behold the next day it died again, so I took the battery to get recharged but the folks at AutoZone said it wouldn't even charge so I just got a new battery, now my car starts and will run fine.

Here's the issue.
The battery and "BRAKE" light come on when I start it, but they go away once I start pressing the gas and drive. Could this be overcharging? A bad fuse? I was also thinking that since the radio wasn't working, it could just be a case of the stupid mechanics not hooking everything up properly? I mean if some lights are innocently coming on and my radio isn't working that's fine with me, but I need my car to work, and I just got the job and I feel like an idiot. The funny thing is none of this started until my first night at Dominos.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:10 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by trentonlambert
So here's the full story.
I was working, I'm a deliver driver, and my car just randomly decides not to accelerate more than 5 mph, and would randomly start speeding up like normal. Then it dies completely. I took it to get my alternator replaced with a new one. When they did, my radio wasn't working at all but the car was running. Low and behold the next day it died again, so I took the battery to get recharged but the folks at AutoZone said it wouldn't even charge so I just got a new battery, now my car starts and will run fine.

Here's the issue.
The battery and "BRAKE" light come on when I start it, but they go away once I start pressing the gas and drive. Could this be overcharging? A bad fuse? I was also thinking that since the radio wasn't working, it could just be a case of the stupid mechanics not hooking everything up properly? I mean if some lights are innocently coming on and my radio isn't working that's fine with me, but I need my car to work, and I just got the job and I feel like an idiot. The funny thing is none of this started until my first night at Dominos.
Alternator is junk. It's undervolting at idle. Don't buy remanned crap from junkozone (or w/e ****ty supplier they used).

It's a common problem. Make those cheap skates install a better quality one.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-31-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Alternator is junk. It's undervolting at idle. Don't buy remanned crap from junkozone (or w/e ****ty supplier they used).

It's a common problem. Make those cheap skates install a better quality one.
REALLY?! I spent like $150 on an alternator which I already thought was bad but I was in a hurry, then $200 at Meineke because I didn't know any other mechanics and they were around the corner. Hoping some other people hop on the thread either to confirm this or give me some other opinions.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:23 AM

I think Child_uv_KoRn is on it here. it sounds like the alternator isn't charging till it gets spinning faster than idle. A simple voltage test will confirm it. Your local auto parts store will do the voltage test for free.

Where did you get the alternator? It should be under warranty.

It sounds like you brought the part to the mechanics. If that's the case you'll have to pay the labor again.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 AM

I'm with Child_uv_KoRn. The alternator has a problem.

Autozone has a rather bad track record when it come to rebuilt alternators and starters. My guess is that the voltage regulator inside it has a problem.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:38 PM

definitely the alternator, it's not charging the battery enough. The alternator should be under warranty, hopefully they don't charge you again for the labor.

Here's my experience replacing the alternator.

YT video of my experience: