5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Warped Head---Misfire ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 02:03 PM

Warped Head---Misfire ?

Hi Friends,

About 6 months back I Did 2 block tests (block tester kit) and also had a leak down test done. Both test suggest that i have a) warped head(s) or b) cracked head or c) cracked head gasket.

Next;

1. I changed the radiator (because it was bad...didn't even know it)
2. I did a KW Block sealer treatment

RESULT: No more smoke, Stopped losing water and stopped boiling inside the reservoir tank. Smoke went away and no more boiling in the reservoir tank.

NOW, i am getting
-Random misfires.

(i was getting them before but now its worse)

Although i had no oil burning issues, I've changed the rear value cover, changed the front and rear plugs and also moved the coils around. At first i thought it was the coils, but now i'm thinking the misfire is caused by warped head (because it only misfires when the car is warmed up).

QUESTION: How does a cracked or warped head lead to a misfire?

*thanks for your input!

~Mark

Last edited by FlaMark; 02-27-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:25 PM

Poor compression could cause misfires.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Poor compression could cause misfires.
Thanks maxi,

But would it get worse? (Its never been this bad.)

Last night, i got a "flashing" SES light last night while driving. SO, This morning I Went to Advanced auto and ran a code test and got p0455, p1448. Evap Canister and fuel tank leaks. I wonder if "THE MISFIRE" and flashing SES light have to do with this?

thanks for any help.

~Mark

Last edited by FlaMark; 02-28-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by FlaMark
Thanks maxi,

But would it get worse? (Its never been this bad.)

Last night, i got a "flashing" SES light last night while driving. SO, This morning I Went to Advanced auto and ran a code test and got p0455, p1448. Evap Canister and fuel tank leaks. I wonder if "THE MISFIRE" and flashing SES light have to do with this?

thanks for any help.

~Mark
Flashing cel is random multiple misfires consistently. Emission codes are unrelated.

Motor definitely sounds toasted. If the tests said you have combustion gasses in the coolant, then the heads/HG are done. Motor swap time.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-28-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Flashing cel is random multiple misfires consistently. Emission codes are unrelated.

Motor definitely sounds toasted. If the tests said you have combustion gasses in the coolant, then the heads/HG are done. Motor swap time.
Thanks Child.

Chit....so a busted head gasket would cause the SES to start blinking? The car was running ok (occasional misfire). PLUS the flashing SES doesn't always come on. It usually stays solid.
  • + I never changed the rear coils, what about this?
  • Will a bad Cat Sensors cause a Misfire ?
  • PS. i noticed the flashing SES light only appears when running over 50mph.
NOTE: Don't have the Ca$h to swap out the motor or get a head job. I just need the car to run a little longer til i get some cash.

Thnks for your input.

Last edited by FlaMark; 02-28-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:24 AM
acw

Your car could be missing because of a broken head gasket that got overheated or the heads got warped and are not lining up properly. Gotta do a leak down test to find out if one of the cylinders is not pushing what it should.

MY THINKING IS (and i could be wrong) that when the gasket is cracked in one place (or more), pressure that should stay inside the motor is released and causing the misfire. *I could be wrong about the principle though.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by acw
Your car could be missing because of a broken head gasket that got overheated or the heads got warped and are not lining up properly. Gotta do a leak down test to find out if one of the cylinders is not pushing what it should.

MY THINKING IS (and i could be wrong) that when the gasket is cracked in one place (or more), pressure that should stay inside the motor is released and causing the misfire. *I could be wrong about the principle though.

Interesting...(car's been sitting for a 2 mths---thank God i have another vehicle). Not sure what to do at this point. Head Gasket Job would run me bout 1800 bucks.

Don't know if i should sell the car or do the repairs. ??

Anyone got any advice???
Old 04-17-2016, 08:46 AM

Only you can make that decision. You need to sit down and have a long, intimate talk with your wallet.

Since the car has been sitting for the past several months and you don't seem to desperately need it, my thinking is bye-bye car.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Only you can make that decision. You need to sit down and have a long, intimate talk with your wallet.

Since the car has been sitting for the past several months and you don't seem to desperately need it, my thinking is bye-bye car.
Thanks Dennis,

No, it was my primary Car. Now i am driving the Back up (which happens to be a Nissan PU), so i once again need to make up my mind on what to do. I spoken to 3 mechanics about this issue. My options seem to be;
  1. Sell the car at the Dealer auction. An acquaintance of mine can run it through and he thinks the car should bring 2k. Not sure if he's right but if he is, then i can take those $ and add in some to purchase another Car (probably Jap.Car).
  2. OR, fix the thing by doing a Head Gasket Job (which would run bout 2k).
  3. Next Option (which i'm not comfortable with) is changing out the motor for a 6th Gen. Motor. A Decent motor from a reputable place would run bout $1500, and then the costs to swap out the dayum thing. LOTS of unknown's at that point....(will the AC work, will there be any other issues, etc). One Mechanic (who works with a team of others) told me of some Horror Stories buying from LKQ (here in Florida). He replaced a Motor for a customer once and the dayum thing was never right. LKQ, has "all kinds of loopholes" to stick the customer with. Lots of fine print and risk in swapping out a Motor (it seems).
Anyway, those are my options. I do need a primary "car" to drive (not my truck).

BTW, it appears that the issue is the head gasket. If the heads are warped, i pretty sure they can be shaved and saved or purchase used ones for a reasonable price. Car has 105k.

~thanks man....!

Last edited by FlaMark; 04-18-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Bad *** Newb

Thanks Dennis,

No, it was my primary Car. Now i am driving the Back up (which happens to be a Nissan PU), so i once again need to make up my mind on what to do. I spoken to 3 mechanics about this issue. My options seem to be;
  1. Sell the car at the Dealer auction. An acquaintance of mine can run it through and he thinks the car should bring 2k. Not sure if he's right but if he is, then i can take those $ and add in some to purchase another Car (probably Jap.Car).
  2. OR, fix the thing by doing a Head Gasket Job (which would run bout 2k).
  3. Next Option (which i'm not comfortable with) is changing out the motor for a 6th Gen. Motor. A Decent motor from a reputable place would run bout $1500, and then the costs to swap out the dayum thing. LOTS of unknown's at that point....(will the AC work, will there be any other issues, etc). One Mechanic (who works with a team of others) told me of some Horror Stories buying from LKQ (here in Florida). He replaced a Motor for a customer once and the dayum thing was never right. LKQ, has "all kinds of loopholes" to stick the customer with. Lots of fine print and risk in swapping out a Motor (it seems).
Anyway, those are my options. I do need a primary "car" to drive (not my truck).

BTW, it appears that the issue is the head gasket. If the heads are warped, i pretty sure they can be shaved and saved or purchase used ones for a reasonable price. Car has 105k.

~thanks man....!
That's a crazy price for a motor

Drop it off at my house, I'll 5.7 swap it for ya
Old 04-19-2016, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
That's a crazy price for a motor

Drop it off at my house, I'll 5.7 swap it for ya
Sure man...where you at?
Old 04-19-2016, 05:32 AM
Bad *** Newb

Sure man...where you at?