5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Nissan Maxima engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 Nissan Maxima engine swap

I remember seeing it somewhere on here about doing an engine swap on this car. I thought someone posted it in my older thread but didn't see it. Anyways. Long story short I still have my 2003 Nissan Maxima SE sitting in my garage with a blown head gasket (about a year now -_-) I keep thinking to myself I'll get some free time and tear into it but eh I think I'm just down to either wanting to do an engine swap or just getting rid of it. Not sure yet. It's still such a nice car. The previous owner even made a website for the dang ol car lol (not sure if I can post it or not but it's got all the mods he did to it, shiftice.com) anyways. Any input is greatly appreciated or helping me out with links to engine swap or info. You guys rock like normal . Love the community here.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:16 PM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2003/
I know its on another forum but there is the FSM for the 2003. The section you'd be interested in is EM-Engine Mechanical and its section 69. It sends you to a couple other sections like for axle removal and exhaust removal, but that's the general area.
There are a couple other options as well for a swap like the newer 07+ altima motor. But if you want to just get her up and running dont drop in an 02-03 I would suggest the 04+ and replace the timing chain and guides while you have it out of the car.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Brudface
I know its on another forum but there is the FSM for the 2003. The section you'd be interested in is EM-Engine Mechanical and its section 69. It sends you to a couple other sections like for axle removal and exhaust removal, but that's the general area.
There are a couple other options as well for a swap like the newer 07+ altima motor. But if you want to just get her up and running dont drop in an 02-03 I would suggest the 04+ and replace the timing chain and guides while you have it out of the car.
Thank you very much I'll let you guys know what I end up doing.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Brudface
if u swapped to an 04 is the belt housing for tranny the same. Do u need to swap ecu's? Wire harness? Or would the 5th gen vq35de to 6th gen be plug and play.? Been looking everywhere. Have bad compression on one.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Jaden Eversole
if u swapped to an 04 is the belt housing for tranny the same. Do u need to swap ecu's? Wire harness? Or would the 5th gen vq35de to 6th gen be plug and play.? Been looking everywhere. Have bad compression on one.
02-08 FWD VQ35 should all be the same in terms of the motor itself, doesnt necessarily have to be out of another maxima. Swap that out and keep everything else (ECU, harness, trans, etc) where it is. As far as I am aware, its plug and play. If you are interested, you can also use FWD VQ35s from 09'-14'. They are not plug and play like the earlier years but if you are competent to swap a motor on your own, youre probably competent to do this swap. I only mention this option since you likely can find one with lower miles and for less money, not to mention they make a little more power. Tons and tons of threads on this that go over everything in detail if you search "HR swap".
Old 03-26-2020, 01:00 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Slamrod
02-08 FWD VQ35 should all be the same in terms of the motor itself, doesnt necessarily have to be out of another maxima. Swap that out and keep everything else (ECU, harness, trans, etc) where it is. As far as I am aware, its plug and play. If you are interested, you can also use FWD VQ35s from 09'-14'. They are not plug and play like the earlier years but if you are competent to swap a motor on your own, youre probably competent to do this swap. I only mention this option since you likely can find one with lower miles and for less money, not to mention they make a little more power. Tons and tons of threads on this that go over everything in detail if you search "HR swap".
And the fact that 6th gen engines are trash lol. You'll never know if it's had timing chains/guides replaced without opening it.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 03artist
I remember seeing it somewhere on here about doing an engine swap on this car. I thought someone posted it in my older thread but didn't see it. Anyways. Long story short I still have my 2003 Nissan Maxima SE sitting in my garage with a blown head gasket (about a year now -_-) I keep thinking to myself I'll get some free time and tear into it but eh I think I'm just down to either wanting to do an engine swap or just getting rid of it. Not sure yet. It's still such a nice car. The previous owner even made a website for the dang ol car lol (not sure if I can post it or not but it's got all the mods he did to it, shiftice.com) anyways. Any input is greatly appreciated or helping me out with links to engine swap or info. You guys rock like normal . Love the community here.
holy crap ! you bought HouseCor's Maxima ????? thats a relic right there, howd the head gasket go on ya? im sure he was good on maintenance !?

either way you have a piece of history there, and best wishes on keepin the the car going!