5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nwp Spacers Install.. where did i go wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:09 PM

Mechanic and I installed 4 pieces of the nwp spacers excluding the one for the throttle body. I start the car, and it has a crazy idle to the point where it stalls out..
Any ideas?
I've done the relearns
It's developed the p0171 code
Vid Below
https://goo.gl/photos/8weHiswqe3MvinuJ9

Last edited by Itz Shak; 03-17-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Itz Shak
Mechanic and I installed 4 pieces of the nwp spacers excluding the one for the throttle body. I start the car, and it has a crazy idle to the point where it stalls out..
Any ideas?
I've done the relearns
Did you get the relearn to work and stick? Any leaks?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:17 PM

Vacuum leak and/or forgot to reconnect something.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:27 PM

vacuum leak
Old 03-18-2016, 01:06 AM

No vacuum leaks, it looks like it's the injector bank 1 running lean also the tps could be acting up, The first thing is to look into is the injector than check for the tps acuator and try the idle relearn and tps rpm adjustment.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:57 AM

I'm thinking vacuum leak. Have someone hold the pedal so it doesn't stall and spray brake parts cleaner around all the areas you worked. Go from the lower manifold to the MAF. You'll hear a change in the RPM when you hit the leak.

Does it rev up if you press the gas further?

Did you guys poke at or try to clean the TB?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I'm thinking vacuum leak. Have someone hold the pedal so it doesn't stall and spray brake parts cleaner around all the areas you worked. Go from the lower manifold to the MAF. You'll hear a change in the RPM when you hit the leak.

Does it rev up if you press the gas further?

Did you guys poke at or try to clean the TB?
No but when we were about to do the last spacer, the bolt holding the the TB stripped. So we tried creating some grip by lightly hammering into the bolt with a thicker kind of stud.
This failed.. Could that have been it?
We'll check for leaks as well
Old 03-18-2016, 06:50 AM

And yes it revs up after pressing the gas
Old 03-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Bad *** Newb

This is what it sounds like when I forget to connect the brake booster; a massive vac leak.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:08 AM

First time I did this I didn't torque down the manifolds right so no car would die unless I gave it a ton of gas
Old 03-18-2016, 09:23 AM

Sure is a leak, spayed brake cleaner and she reved right up. Thing is it's on all spacers.. we didn't follow the instructions.
Thanks guys
Old 03-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Bad *** Newb

Sure is a leak, spayed brake cleaner and she reved right up. Thing is it's on all spacers.. we didn't follow the instructions.
Thanks guys
No RTV?
Old 03-18-2016, 12:01 PM

Sure is a leak, spayed brake cleaner and she reved right up. Thing is it's on all spacers.. we didn't follow the instructions. Thanks guys

RTV FTW

FWIW I use two OEM UIM gaskets to seal my NWP.
One on top of the spacer and one under.
Makes it easier to work on it and skip the RTV scraping.
Studs are barely long enough for it, but it's all good.
Everything but the UIM is RTV though on mine.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:25 PM

So my mechanic sealed the LIM nicely, but when we began to seal the UIM what happens?
Popped that cherry.. Cracked the ****** manifold.. how great

Tried sealing the manifold with rtv aswell.. put everything back together and started it up. Same result ofcourse, did the Brake cleaner technique to find the leak and where was it? Yep you guessed it, now it's in the manifold

I can't remember the last time I've been this pissed.. (got no one to blame but my damn self)
Time to get a new manifold from the junkyard
Old 03-18-2016, 09:50 PM

^
How the heck did you do that?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 PM

So my mechanic sealed the LIM nicely, but when we began to seal the UIM what happens?
Popped that cherry.. Cracked the ****** manifold.. how great

Tried sealing the manifold with rtv aswell.. put everything back together and started it up. Same result ofcourse, did the Brake cleaner technique to find the leak and where was it? Yep you guessed it, now it's in the manifold

I can't remember the last time I've been this pissed.. (got no one to blame but my damn self)
Time to get a new manifold from the junkyard
Yeah, the lower is easy to crack if you over torque the two studs. The torque values are pretty low. You have to follow the instructions closely. Lower intakes are pretty easy to find though. 3.5 liter Quest vans have the same intake and usually aren't as picked over as the Maximas.

If you can't find one let me know. I'm pretty sure there are one or two in my local U-pull it yard. I could grab one pretty reasonably.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:55 PM

^
What a poor mechanic
Old 03-19-2016, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by george__
^
What a poor mechanic
Why quote the mechanic,like you haven't broken anything by mistake. The mechanic and the owner working on the car is a good idea. What else you have to say, your cats are bothering you now.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Yeah, the lower is easy to crack if you over torque the two studs. The torque values are pretty low. You have to follow the instructions closely. Lower intakes are pretty easy to find though. 3.5 liter Quest vans have the same intake and usually aren't as picked over as the Maximas.

If you can't find one let me know. I'm pretty sure there are one or two in my local U-pull it yard. I could grab one pretty reasonably.
Its the Upper intake manifold that cracked
Old 03-19-2016, 08:41 AM

Its the Upper intake manifold that cracked
That can break too. It's important to tighten the bolts from the center out and not over torque them. I think the torque is in the teens which is surprisingly light.

The upper can also be sourced from a Quest van.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:27 PM

Got the manifold....... Time for round #3
Old 03-19-2016, 06:55 PM

I heard the lim spacers are thin like oem spacers but a better sturdy meterial than the oem gaskets. The upper gaskets are much thicker than the lim spacers,the upper gaskets are like 2mm+ thick that will make it a very tough fitment torquing.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:38 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
I heard the lim spacers are thin like oem spacers but a better sturdy meterial than the oem gaskets. The upper gaskets are much thicker than the lim spacers,the upper gaskets are like 2mm+ thick that will make it a very tough fitment torquing.
You mean upper is like 1cm thick. Also, the kit comes with the hardware, so you can properly bolt it down.

There's nothing hard about installing the spacers. I don't even know how it's possible to crack the manifold unless you're extremely negligent. It takes 5 times longer to let the RTV dry than it does to install them lol.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:22 PM

So this time the car started and idled correctly for about 30 seconds, then it returned to the same symptoms in the video. He did the Rtv again on both sides of each spacer.. This time we got the p0300 code

Mechanic seems to think it's the injectors so we're getting injector cleaner atm.. this is a mess..
Old 03-20-2016, 12:45 PM

I don't think it's the injectors.

I think you're still leaking. A bad vacuum leak will cause P0300. How long did you let the RTV set up? It sounds like the RTV wasn't set up all the way and blew out after 30 seconds.

Try this. Pull the upper plenum and check it with a straight edge. It's a used part so it's good to check. Check the long spacer with a straight edge on both sides too. If there's any variation on the spacer it will cause problems. Try putting it together without that spacer and see what happens. Use a new stock gasket with no RTV. This should be a quick check since you're only removing one spacer and not using RTV.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 03-20-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:25 PM

I think you're right because we heard some major popping noises and I thought it was my engine going to ****..
I'll figure it out
Old 03-20-2016, 01:43 PM

I'd bet money on it being the long one. No need to mess with the lowers or the elbow.

The RTV should set up for several hours. Over night is better. Just remove the long piece from the equation and use a new gasket. Your local parts store probably has a Felpro one in stock. No need to go to the dealer for it.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:04 PM

That's probably another thing, we would only let the rtv settle for about an hour..
Old 03-20-2016, 04:19 PM

That's probably another thing, we would only let the rtv settle for about an hour..
^^^^^ this is your problem^^^^^^^^^ let the permatex have a chance to do its job. It's not drying. Read the instructions on the box. Use the squeeze out of the tube kind. Let it sit overnight just to be safe. You have turned an easy couple hour job into a 3 day nightmare.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=Child_uv_KoRn;9101016]You mean upper is like 1cm thick. Also, the kit comes with the hardware, so you can properly bolt it down.

There's nothing hard about installing the spacers. I don't even know how it's possible to crack the manifold unless you're extremely negligent. It takes 5 times longer to let the RTV dry than it does to install them lol.[/QUOTe

No, **** their is nothing hard about installing the spacers but if there 2mm,2cm the point is they are thicker than oem gaskets. If they are thick there not gonna do the job there supposed to, thats why oem gaskets are better, using rtv to do what oem gaskets can do,but any how using lot's of rtv to do the job than sometime later down the road the rtv can breakdown do to heat. I talked them and they told me that they have the nwp bolts for the tb and elbow but not for the upper mannifold. It was on the instructions saying they have the bolts for the upper mannifold. Like i said you can break the bolt and not be negligant,because it was an mistake everyone makes a mistake.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 03-20-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Bad *** Newb

[QUOTE=vqmaxman;9101083]
Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
You mean upper is like 1cm thick. Also, the kit comes with the hardware, so you can properly bolt it down.

There's nothing hard about installing the spacers. I don't even know how it's possible to crack the manifold unless you're extremely negligent. It takes 5 times longer to let the RTV dry than it does to install them lol.[/QUOTe

No, **** their is nothing hard about installing the spacers but if there 2mm,2cm the point is they are thicker than oem gaskets. If they are thick there not gonna do the job there supposed to, thats why oem gaskets are better, using rtv to do what oem gaskets can do,but any how using lot's of rtv to do the job than sometime later down the road the rtv can breakdown do to heat. I talked them and they told me that they have the nwp bolts for the tb and elbow but not for the upper mannifold. It was on the instructions saying they have the bolts for the upper mannifold. Like i said you can break the bolt and not be negligant,because it was an mistake everyone makes a mistake.
I doubt regular RTV will degrade in the life of the car, but that's also why there's copper RTV

I installed mine many years ago and it had the hardware, so I assumed they still did.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM

What a nightmare for the OP
Old 03-23-2016, 03:19 PM

Alrighty round 4 is finished, I'd like to believe we've done everything right this time. Gonna let it rest until 10am tomorrow.

P.S.
I'm feeling confident
Old 03-23-2016, 06:40 PM

Alrighty round 4 is finished, I'd like to believe we've done everything right this time. Gonna let it rest until 10am tomorrow. P.S. I'm feeling confident
Good job your patience will be rewarded.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 PM

Just take them off and sell them to me for the low
Old 03-24-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Just take them off and sell them to me for the low
Haha, no way after all I've gone through with them
Old 03-24-2016, 12:59 PM

God's faithful,
Car started up like a champ.
Thanks for all the helpful information everyone
Old 03-24-2016, 03:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

For next time, if there is a next time, i think Is aw someone above mentioned, but I also would recommend the dual OEM gasket for the LIM/IM since it's pretty nasty to remove the RTV, vs the OEM gaskets, which isn't difficult at all.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
For next time, if there is a next time, i think Is aw someone above mentioned, but I also would recommend the dual OEM gasket for the LIM/IM since it's pretty nasty to remove the RTV, vs the OEM gaskets, which isn't difficult at all.
This is what I did too for the upper intake manifold.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Definitely

Quick Reply: Nwp Spacers Install.. where did i go wrong