5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 maxima se w/246k maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:31 PM

2001 maxima se w/246k maintenance

Hey guys, meet Max!! Max is a 2001 with 5spd transmission, I bought the car 3 years ago with 130,000 and it has been really good to me. I always change my oil every 3-4,000 miles, last year we went right through the car, new exhaust, struts, wheel bearings and abs sensors, brakes, tires, alternator.. The car has been knock on wood great for me.. It was our every day driver, but my wife and I just bought a new vehicle so this one was parked all winter and I just pulled it out of storage. Car has 246,000 Now so, I'm going to try to freshen it up and make it last as long as I can.. Can anyone tell me what I should do for preventive maintenance? The car does no make any noises as far as the engine transmission and drive train go, doesn't burn any oil at all.. So Any info would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance

Name:  B981B05A-81CE-4279-AC11-149D87DC7D55_zpsn1dozwm0.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  54.6 KB
Old 03-27-2016, 08:23 PM

That's awesome! I love hearing about high mileage cars like this. That VQ30 is one tough SOB.

Things I'd do and look out for:

-Change out all the fluids.
-Keep an eye on rubber components like hoses and gaskets.
-In the suspension, CV axles, ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods are all probably tired.
-Spark plugs, PCV valve and drive belts
-Rotted out fuel & brake lines if you're in an area where salt is used.
-Radiator and HP PS hose leaks

Is the clutch original?
Old 03-27-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by mclasser
That's awesome! I love hearing about high mileage cars like this. That VQ30 is one tough SOB.

Things I'd do and look out for:

-Change out all the fluids.
-Keep an eye on rubber components like hoses and gaskets.
-In the suspension, CV axles, ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods are all probably tired.
-Spark plugs, PCV valve and drive belts
-Rotted out fuel & brake lines if you're in an area where salt is used.
-Radiator and HP PS hose leaks

Is the clutch original?
I did the passenger lower control arm assembly the year before last as well as the master and slave cylinders, last summer I did a cv axle, serpentine belt, and I have brand new tie rod ends they just have to be put on. new oil change every 3-4,000 miles and I always check the levels in the system. The clutch i'm not sure but I know it doesn't slip or chatter at all but I will most likely look into doing that eventually. I don't beat on it I just love driving it. Only serious problem I have with the car is when I go to fuel up I can't pump the gas in it very fast. Something is stopping it from taking fuel. I have to put .50 cents at a time it's annoying as hell but if I fill it I don't have to deal with it as often lol. I find myself at the pumps sometimes for 20 minutes. It sucks. Any idea what that would be?
Old 03-27-2016, 10:14 PM

So you drove 116k in 3 years huh and it was parked all winter ? Thats A lot of riding lol, Good luck enjoy.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
So you drove 116k in 3 years huh and it was parked all winter ? Thats A lot of riding lol, Good luck enjoy.
Yeah that is a lot of driving trust me I live in Vermont and my family lives in Maine and I was driving up there every weekend to help my family work in the summer so I was putting a lot of miles on my car. We just bought a SUV so I was able to park the car this winter but now it's clearing up here so I just pulled it out this weekend . I'm hoping to get 300,000 out of it and if I get that I'm going to try for more I just put a lot of money in it last summer so why sell it I will never get what I have in it or close to what it is worth to me so I'm just going to run it. I would really like to upgrade to a six speed 3.5 model when I can afford it
Old 03-28-2016, 07:31 AM

I'd consider replacing the IACV or at least doing the coolant bypass. When the IACV fails it can cause a lot of expensive problems.

The front and rear main seals are probably leaking. The front isn't too bad but the rear is a pretty heavy job and probably not worth it unless you're keeping the car long term. Any oil leaks will eventually lead to failure of the rubber mounts and other rubber pieces.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 AM

It'd you haven't already, transmission fluid, I learned the hard way.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by VQ35maxima=Beast
It'd you haven't already, transmission fluid, I learned the hard way.
I plan on doing transmission fluid this week. I have been under the car recently and haven't seen no leaks anywhere yet I will look into the IACV. This car has been really good to me and when I bought it three years ago the guy that I bought it off of is a Maxima freak he buys and sells maximas and does really good for me I have bought five cars off of him and have had good luck with all of them . Someone told me I should look into doing a timing chain tensioner and chain also are those common for letting go?
Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM

If it's not leaking I wouldn't worry about it then.

I wouldn't even consider messing with the timing chain or tensioner unless it's rattling.

I know what you mean about these cars. I have an 00 with 315,000 and it's been great. Bought it 12 years ago with 45,000 on the clock.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
If it's not leaking I wouldn't worry about it then.

I wouldn't even consider messing with the timing chain or tensioner unless it's rattling.

I know what you mean about these cars. I have an 00 with 315,000 and it's been great. Bought it 12 years ago with 45,000 on the clock.
Wow I wish I could own a maxima with that low miles someday lol. Have u had to do any big jobs on your car with 315,000? Like transmission or engine swaps?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2001bigdawg
Wow I wish I could own a maxima with that low miles someday lol. Have u had to do any big jobs on your car with 315,000? Like transmission or engine swaps?
Not really. Coils, valve cover gaskets, main seals, HP power steering line, wheel bearings, radiator, a few sensors and the usual wear items of course. Last year I swapped out all the rubber suspension parts/bushings and ball joints/tie rod ends in the front end. No issues with the motor or auto tranny. I've been running 15,000 mile oil changes the entire time too.

My 02 6-speed has been just as good with 215,000 on it. Pretty much the same list as the 00 but original coils and some parts swapped as uprgades. It's pretty well modded and driven hard. I did swap out the trany with 3dr gear crunch for a 6th gen unit with HLSD.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:18 AM

I was also thinking about your fueling issue. Have you tried not putting the pump as far in when you're fueling? I've had some pumps shut off till I pulled out about an inch. The pumps shut off when they detect back splash.

It's most likely a kink or some obstruction in your filer neck. Even a small obstruction or kink will cause the pump to shut down. I'd look at it from under the wheel well and follow it to the tank. The neck is accessible from the wheel well if you remove a small splash guard that covers it. If there's nothing obvious I'd pull it and make sure it's clear.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I was also thinking about your fueling issue. Have you tried not putting the pump as far in when you're fueling? I've had some pumps shut off till I pulled out about an inch. The pumps shut off when they detect back splash.

It's most likely a kink or some obstruction in your filer neck. Even a small obstruction or kink will cause the pump to shut down. I'd look at it from under the wheel well and follow it to the tank. The neck is accessible from the wheel well if you remove a small splash guard that covers it. If there's nothing obvious I'd pull it and make sure it's clear.
Yeah man, we tried that, it's not just one pump, it's alllll the pumps we go to.. Some are worst then others. I've sat there pumping 30 cents at a time at some pumps with times up to 20-30 min for a full tank of fuel at empty. I have to just barely pull the trigger on the nozzle and hope it just drips in there lol.. It sucks. That's why we try to go to the less used gas stations so we are not honked at trying to get our tank filled. Every time we go to the pumps we try to go at night when they are not busy cause we try to get a full tank. It sucks. I have been told it was the solenoid under the rear of the car, I can't remember the name of it. But I bought a brand new filler neck assembly just haven't installed it yet because was told it was something else.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:34 PM

I just got done talking with the guy that sold me all 5 maximas I have had and he said if I bring him the car, he will put new clutch, all new seals, and include labor for 500.00. That's a great deal. And he said he will also go through the car and make sure there is nothing else wrong. He's always been good to me, he sells these cars for a living, he buys, sells and works on these cars at his home as his daily job.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:52 PM
Bad *** Newb

I just got done talking with the guy that sold me all 5 maximas I have had and he said if I bring him the car, he will put new clutch, all new seals, and include labor for 500.00. That's a great deal. And he said he will also go through the car and make sure there is nothing else wrong. He's always been good to me, he sells these cars for a living, he buys, sells and works on these cars at his home as his daily job.
Lucky guy, these are cake to work on for the most part
Old 03-29-2016, 05:03 PM

I would do it if I had the place and the time to do it myself. I've never done anything like this before. I think it's a fair price to have it done.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:55 PM

Yeah that is a lot of driving trust me I live in Vermont and my family lives in Maine and I was driving up there every weekend to help my family work in the summer so I was putting a lot of miles on my car. We just bought a SUV so I was able to park the car this winter but now it's clearing up here so I just pulled it out this weekend . I'm hoping to get 300,000 out of it and if I get that I'm going to try for more I just put a lot of money in it last summer so why sell it I will never get what I have in it or close to what it is worth to me so I'm just going to run it. I would really like to upgrade to a six speed 3.5 model when I can afford it
you will make it to 300k not doubt about that bro! Mines nearly at 305k, and I also maintain mines great, im just battling rust. Gonna hopefully clear some up this weekend.