5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tire Chains vs Winter Beater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:24 PM

Tire Chains vs Winter Beater?

Here in Jersey getting smacked by this blizzard and I found myself needing to go out of the house with around 10 inches of snow on the ground. I haven't a set of winter tires or an extra car so I was forced to take out the Max with her lo pro tires (which need to be replaced) out into the fray. Stuck twice and got blown by many trucks and SUVs got me thinking I need to invest in a better way of handling snow. So in your experiences with these cars do tire chains work well? Any more effective than a set of snow tires? Personally strongly leaning towards getting a 4wd beater for 500 bucks, give her a little love and ride that through the storms.

EDIT: Posted this in 5th gen opposed to tires and such because I'm specifically interested in 5th gen owners opinions /experiences with handling snow.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sinscythe07
Here in Jersey getting smacked by this blizzard and I found myself needing to go out of the house with around 10 inches of snow on the ground. I haven't a set of winter tires or an extra car so I was forced to take out the Max with her lo pro tires (which need to be replaced) out into the fray. Stuck twice and got blown by many trucks and SUVs got me thinking I need to invest in a better way of handling snow. So in your experiences with these cars do tire chains work well? Any more effective than a set of snow tires? Personally strongly leaning towards getting a 4wd beater for 500 bucks, give her a little love and ride that through the storms.

EDIT: Posted this in 5th gen opposed to tires and such because I'm specifically interested in 5th gen owners opinions /experiences with handling snow.
Cables (nobody uses real chains anymore) are definitely more effective. They also brake better, much better than a 4-wheel drive. However, it's a pain to get them on and off. You also can't drive very fast - not above 50mph at best. However, it's a reasonable solution for a short-time need, and cables are not expensive; I paid $35 for my last set.

Last edited by maxiiiboy; 02-01-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy

Cables (nobody uses real chains anymore) are definitely more effective. They also break better, much better than a 4-wheel drive. However, it's a pain to get them on and off. You also can't drive very fast - not above 50mph at best. However, it's a reasonable solution for a short-time need, and cables are not expensive; I paid $35 for my last set.
Sounds good to me, I'll have to get myself a set and try them out since we just got some fresh powder!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 PM

drive my car all over with good set of winter tires not that expensive better than chains
Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 AM

^
What he said. I got blizzaks on a set of 16" rims and it's as good as any truck I've ever been in.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:11 PM

Get separate rims for snow tires and just swap them out with the summer rims/tires when needed. Or if you want to keep that salt stuff off your car get a beater.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:54 AM

There is no winter tire, including tires with the snowflake symbol, that is better than chains, but with 10"+ snow on the ground, it would be very difficult to navigate with the low ground clearance of a car, until it's been plowed.
Many, many years ago with the RWD cars, before we had the Jeep GC's, I would keep a set of mounted tires with chains installed and when needed, just jack up the car and change them over, then back when roads cleared.
There is no substitute for a 4WD vehicle, but with the additional insurance, esp. in Jersey, along with the additional maintenance, might just be overkill for the infrequent usage. Although a pain to install, just get chains or the cable chains, then remove as soon as possible as it's a real treat driving on dry roads with the chains installed and they will wear very quickly when used on dry pavement.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:02 AM

step 1 ...dont ride low pros in winter....

step 2 ....ride stock wheels with winter tires or fresher all seasons
Old 01-29-2016, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
step 1 ...dont ride low pros in winter....

step 2 ....ride stock wheels with winter tires or fresher all seasons
They're currently the only tires/rims I own and I didn't have time to get an extra set for this snow storm lol. I do plan on getting some cheap steelies or something to ride on next winter. As for the extra costs of a 4wd vehicle, I planned on just buying it and parking it until next winter. If it gets messy out, throw my tags on and go lol. Never met a cop who will pull you over in a snow storm haha.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:55 PM

The maxima is FWD so get some winter tires and call it a day :]
Old 01-29-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by george__
The maxima is FWD so get some winter tires and call it a day :]
Well, it's not that simple. It depends on where you live, how long the winter is, and what the snow quality and quantity are. I have driven all over the continent, and I would do different things in different places:
  • Long Winter with Dry Snow. Buy a set of snow tires, possibly for front wheels only. Winter tires will do just fine in places where the snow is dry and there is not too much of it; for example, Western Canada from Edmonton/Calgary to Winnipeg, mid/north US - Minnesota, etc.). Spent several years in Edmonton, with skiing trips to the Rockies, and never needed anything else but a good set of snow tires (or even, all-season tires).
  • Infrequent Snow Dumps. When you get more then 6-8" of snow in a single storm, often wet snow, snow tires are not that great. You need tire chains/cables, or a 4-wheel drive. So for our cars, I would choose cables.
  • Frequent Snow Dumps. When the dumps become frequent, you get tired of putting those chains/cables on/off. 4-wheel drive is the only alternative unless yoy are young and poor. Then you drive whatever you have.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:28 PM

I've driven my blizzaks over the last three nj winters. They have yet to let me down. I've had them on Icey driveways, snow covered roads , and everything in between and they have exceeded my expectations every time. I love them. I will not hesitate to buy another full set. I never used winter tires until I got these for a steal of a deal. Now I kick myself for not getting a set years ago. I got these on Craig's list for 200 already mounted on rims. They looked almost brand new. You can't go wrong with a set of blizzaks. The stability and grip they provide even on ice is unreal.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
I've driven my blizzaks over the last three nj winters. They have yet to let me down. I've had them on Icey driveways, snow covered roads , and everything in between and they have exceeded my expectations every time. I love them. I will not hesitate to buy another full set. I never used winter tires until I got these for a steal of a deal. Now I kick myself for not getting a set years ago. I got these on Craig's list for 200 already mounted on rims. They looked almost brand new. You can't go wrong with a set of blizzaks. The stability and grip they provide even on ice is unreal.
how are they this 3rd winter? it seems that winter tires don't hold thier grip in the later half of tread life as well as first half
Old 02-01-2016, 12:28 PM

They're like brand new. They've worn a little bit of tread but there's still a lot of meat on the bone. The grip has not changed a bit. It's been fantastic from day one and still is.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

I also vote Blizzaks. WS80's here (245 40 18's). No complaints whatsoever. Had my doubts in some deeper snow, but they did what I asked them to do and more even on ice.

TireRack's review teetered me toward them.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I also vote Blizzaks. WS80's here (245 40 18's). No complaints whatsoever. Had my doubts in some deeper snow, but they did what I asked them to do and more even on ice. TireRack's review teetered me toward them.
This has been my first set of winter tires. Two years ago in nj we just got absolutely hammered with snow so I said screw it let me try a set. At 39 I now can't believe I went thru so many winters without them. I have the ws70s I believe would you happen to know what the different numbers mean??

how are they this 3rd winter? it seems that winter tires don't hold thier grip in the later half of tread life as well as first half
To answer your question a little more in depth. I read an article when I was contemplating buying these. The article said that there's some kind of cell technology incorporated with the tire. So basically as it warms up it gets really I don't know if sticky is the right word so I'll say grippy. So this is what enables it to get superior traction. Plus it has a unique pattern that doesn't let the tread become packed in with snow and ice. I did notice after driving thru slush ice and snow and getting to my destination that the tire would be clean. It wouldn't be packed with any snow or ice.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-02-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

I agree, there was a time I never thought of snow tires, but after you do it once, you’ll never go back. Too many white knuckled drives. And I wasn’t even on AS’s, I was usually on UHP summer’s on those trips, not smart. I’m not sure, I think it’s just a slight newer design and maybe minimal improvement from the 70’s to 80’s.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:27 PM

Ohh ok yea cause I think the ones I have are probably 5 years old. I bought them used two years ago. Makes sense. Summer tires in the snow you're a brave man.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:33 AM

im in mattx's region (north east) and i have such a hard time justifying dedicating winter tires when we dont have snow all winter here, its at most 1/2 of our winter is snow, usually just a dusting every couple weeks or so for 2 months.

its like right on the line of all seasons are just enough, and dedicated winter snow tires are too much..

how are the winter tires on the dry days and mild temp days?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:23 AM

im in mattx's region (north east) and i have such a hard time justifying dedicating winter tires when we dont have snow all winter here, its at most 1/2 of our winter is snow, usually just a dusting every couple weeks or so for 2 months. its like right on the line of all seasons are just enough, and dedicated winter snow tires are too much.. how are the winter tires on the dry days and mild temp days?
Winter tires are fine for grip no matter what time of year. Realistically I think they say 50* or below. It don't matter if it's above 50 I think they just wear easier above 50.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

I agree, awesome rated AS's would be the key there.

My WS80's are H rated, so not so fun in the corners vs my summer tires. Grip is also not as cool. But I would suggest a higher rated (speed) for you. My last set of winter's were V-rated. Fairly awesome in the 50's lower 60's and great grip for a winter tire. (Dunlop WinterSport 3D).
Old 02-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Looks like there's a few different opinions to take in haha. Based on the more recent comments a lot of you have success with winter tires on the Maxs. I'm still partial to the idea of a 4wd beater for those days I know I'll get stuck in the max, but you've got me considering winter tires
Old 02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Unless you're going through 2' of un-plowed roads or literally offoad, neither place for a max, I'd say dedicated winter tires are fine. Mine did well in about 6" of snow, and I'm lowered.

Still going to need decent tires on said 4WD.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-irrefutabl...hle-1671708207

Once those winter tires bite, they're awesome. I like how mine are they really do instill confidence.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-03-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM

I'll look into your recommendation! As for the 4wd beater, I planned on getting it some new tires once next winter comes around. Definitely don't plan on going off road, I love the asphalt, but Jersey is prone to some randomly ridiculous snow drops lol.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:07 PM

Someone questioned the "third year" on winter tires... I think that depends on how the tires were treated. Some people (like my parents) mount theirs in early November and take them off in early April, then grind them down driving on the highway when the weather is in the 40's and 50's. Others (like me) don't pull them out of the basement until snow is already sticking to the ground and swap them back when it seems like there will be no more snowfall. I got six seasons out of my last set of Blizzaks.

To the OP ... I seem to recall anytime I was looking for ANY sort of Maxima/i30 parts, there was an overabundance of them in New Jersey for some reason. You should be able to pick up a set of steelies or ugly OEM alloys for a song and dance. Buy some Blizzaks, mount them, and forget 'em. If you change your mind from a Maxima, chances are they'll fit your next car too. We have a fairly common lug pattern.