5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

auto vs manual 5.5 gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

auto vs manual 5.5 gen

hey guys i was wondering would it be good idea if i traded my 2003 auto maxima for a 2002 6 speed maxima is it that much better than my current car. im not familar with manuals but im willing to drive one if its faster.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 PM

Overall, neither car is faster than the other. You might be able to get a better ET at the drag strip with the manual trans, but that is based on your skill and proficiency with shifting.

If you live in a congested metro area and spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, you may not like a manual transmission.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:06 PM

6 speed + HLSD + 4.42 mod will kick automatic maxima in the arsee
Old 05-01-2016, 12:41 PM

I had both 2002 6sp (RIP) and still have my 2003 auto (196k abused and still strong) and I loved my manual. I did very little city driving and I like the control of the car. However, I don't think I wouldn't go through the trouble of trading it for the auto. Maybe I am lazy but if you have a reliable car I say keep it.

I replaced the 6sp with a 2010 murano (needed a new tranny at 123k piece of ****)
Old 05-01-2016, 12:52 PM

I say keep the auto if it's in better shape. Put a transgo hd2 shift kit in if you want better performance. With a shift kit an auto will walk a manual all day and twice on Sunday despite what George says.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by 2damax
I had both 2002 6sp (RIP) and still have my 2003 auto (196k abused and still strong) and I loved my manual. I did very little city driving and I like the control of the car. However, I don't think I wouldn't go through the trouble of trading it for the auto. Maybe I am lazy but if you have a reliable car I say keep it.

I replaced the 6sp with a 2010 murano (needed a new tranny at 123k piece of ****)
CVT FTL

Autos should be illegal unless you physically can't drive one. Being fat isn't a reason, either (goddamn those mother****ers and their handicap tags).
Old 05-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Cvt all day. 😀😀😀😀. It's a crime they put cvt in cars these days. Google cars that have cvt transmissions and you'd be shocked how many cars now have them. I refuse to even consider buying a car with one.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you drive in the city or are sitting in traffic back and forth to work I would keep the auto.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
(goddamn those mother****ers and their handicap tags).
Old 05-01-2016, 04:04 PM

I have both the 03 manual and 03 auto. The manual is much quicker at any speed.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by george__
6 speed + HLSD + 4.42 mod will kick automatic maxima in the arsee

What is HLSD?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by enterconnect
What is HLSD?
Helical Limited Slip Differential

Without going too deep, It lets power go to both wheels rather than the one with the least traction. It greatly improves traction and handling.

If you Google it you'll get a better description than I'm ready to type up today.

It's not just about being faster. If you're willing to swap cars you could swap for something faster.

A manual tranny gives you a lot more control and responsiveness.
It really gives a lot more control when cornering if you know how to use it. It adds another layer of depth to handling a car.

You can get the HLSD option which wasn't available on these cars in an auto.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-03-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by enterconnect
What is HLSD?
I'm trying to figure out what the 4.42 mod is????
Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by losifanatic
I'm trying to figure out what the 4.42 mod is????
Four barrel carb- four speed tranny and dual exhaust?
Never mind, that's Oldsmobile.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Helical Limited Slip Differential

Without going too deep, It lets power go to both wheels rather than the one with the least traction. It greatly improves traction and handling.

If you Google it you'll get a better description than I'm ready to type up today.
Is this feature only on the 6 speeds?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:19 AM

Not really. You can find autos with LSD. It's actually fairly common.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Not really. You can find autos with LSD. It's actually fairly common.

I don't think it was an option on the 5.5 gen Maxima with auto.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:47 AM

I don't think it was an option on the 5.5 gen Maxima with auto.
Unless the tranny I bought my car with and the one I recently put in are from different years (highly unlikely) I'd say it was. I know when I got the new tranny from junkyard it was from an 03.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Bad *** Newb

Unless the tranny I bought my car with and the one I recently put in are from different years (highly unlikely) I'd say it was. I know when I got the new tranny from junkyard it was from an 03.
I've never seen one. That's why traction control was an option.

Canada had them for the 3.0L. US never got anything except for the AE that I know of. Perhaps someone swapped the tranny into that car.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-03-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Are you sure it's LSD? How did you confirm that?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:08 PM

Are you sure it's LSD? How did you confirm that?
Yea is LSD. Has a bar in the center of the housing and my car has never had torque steer it's straight as an arrow. If you look in the center housing you can't just see through it there's vet clearly visible a bar of some sort in the center.
Also if I spin tires or smoke them there's clearly two tire marks not one.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:14 PM

My previous auto had VLSD (Gen 5.5)
Old 05-04-2016, 05:42 AM

found this online.

Open the driver's door and check at the botton right where is the vehicule info paper. You will find there the engine (VQ35DE) and tranny (RS6F51x) number. If the x is A, there is NO LSD, if the x is V, LSD is viscous and if the x is H, LSD is helicoidal (Torsen).

Last edited by enterconnect; 05-04-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:21 AM

Interesting. I never knew there was an option for LSD in the 5.5 gen auto.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

Same here, strange. The RS6 means 6MT.

We can also check the VIN plate.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-04-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 AM

Compared to the MT version it sucks
Old 05-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Why did you tell me in person that you liked the auto vlsd better?
Then when I raced you with my auto RE4F04B and your 6MT I won all 3 times?
You most certainly changed my opinion of canadians. Almost kept me from visiting the country again.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Bad *** Newb

*Pops trash bag full of corn*
Old 05-04-2016, 03:27 PM

Sucks so bad it dragged your a**
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 PM

Now I just need a handicap tag to go with my auto setup. Guess it's going to be mandated.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:54 AM

The 4 speed auto NEVER came with any option for lsd on the 5.5gen. There was an option on the ae version of the 5th gen. The Infiniti I30T ONLY came with the vlsd. I believe that the I35T "MIGHT" have came with the option but I am pretty sure that there wasn't. I'd have to search through some of my records.

In response to Mattx, IF you can see through the center diff means that you have LSD of SOME sort, if you can't then you have an open diff. It's very backwards thinking but it is what it is. The bar is what turns the smaller gears in the diff. ANY lsd is a complete unit and has the clutch packs OR the Helical gears in the OUTSIDE of the unit rather than on the inside where the small bar would be.

Auto's work a little different when the tires are spinning from a stop. The Manuals you WILL see the one strip of rubber ONLY because there isn't a torque converter limiting the amount applied to the ground. It's a very strange concept but once you understand how they all work then it's very simple.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Brudface
The 4 speed auto NEVER came with any option for lsd on the 5.5gen. There was an option on the ae version of the 5th gen. The Infiniti I30T ONLY came with the vlsd. I believe that the I35T "MIGHT" have came with the option but I am pretty sure that there wasn't. I'd have to search through some of my records. In response to Mattx, IF you can see through the center diff means that you have LSD of SOME sort, if you can't then you have an open diff. It's very backwards thinking but it is what it is. The bar is what turns the smaller gears in the diff. ANY lsd is a complete unit and has the clutch packs OR the Helical gears in the OUTSIDE of the unit rather than on the inside where the small bar would be. Auto's work a little different when the tires are spinning from a stop. The Manuals you WILL see the one strip of rubber ONLY because there isn't a torque converter limiting the amount applied to the ground. It's a very strange concept but once you understand how they all work then it's very simple.
Yea you would be wrong.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:59 AM

Easy way to find out if you have one. Pull one tire off the side of the road( after it rained preferably) and floor it. If you have a lsd of some sort the tire on the road will help pull you forward. If not and the tire in the dirt/grass/mud spins up like crazy and you are bearly moving then it's an open diff.

My spec-v would spin(burning rubber) the tire on the road and the one in the dirt in this type of test. Though if you have a lsd be prepared for a lot of torque steer
Old 05-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Yea you would be wrong.
Hahahahaha pardon?? I am not wrong. Have you ever even opened a transmission of ANY kind?? I have opened hundreds. I am a master mechanic in Both Diesel and Cars/trucks. Have my own shop. But yeah you're right I haven't the slightest clue what I am talking about what so ever.

Contrary to what about 90% of the population thinks an OPEN differential is NOT open when you look through there is a bar that has two gears at the end. Also contrary is that any LSD whether be mechanical or clutch pack operated if you look through the diff there is nothing there.

I can give you all references in lame man's terms. Please refer to page MT-20 of the FSM, the first example is an "OPEN" diff, hence the A at the end of the Transmission number, notice the bar with the gears at the end??? Then refer to MT-21 notice that the Differential is ALL one piece and CANNOT be serviced?

That was for the Manual transmission. Now onto the Auto refer to AT-358 Notice that for the 5.5 gen it is THE EXACT SAME as the "OPEN" diff for the manual? and has no option for any LSD? Thank you for your time.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 AM

Well mr. Master mechanic if LSD was an option on ae 01 maximas what makes you think it wouldn't be for 02/03? After all it's the same tranny used for both models.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:18 AM

I was going to edit to add something but figured that would be lame so I will add yet another point. You can make your "OPEN" differential into a fully locked diff by taking it out and welding the two gears so that they are static which is exactly what some of the 240 guys do instead of sourcing the more expensive LSD. BUT in a FWD I wouldn't really do that as it would be hard on both the axles as we all know how not too great they already are. Also you're turning radius and cornering abilities would suffer as it doesn't allow one tire to spin faster OR slower than the other. There is plenty of information out there for this topic. It has been discussed several million times in the car world.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Bad *** Newb

Well mr. Master mechanic if LSD was an option on ae 01 maximas what makes you think it wouldn't be for 02/03? After all it's the same tranny used for both models.
There's no special model of 5.5 gen. Ti and Meridian editions are trim related only.

Perhaps if you paid through the nose, it could be special ordered from the factory, idk.

I really do imagine that any 5.5s running around with lsd autos have been swapped from the AE.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:23 AM

It's not the exact same transmission, there ARE small variations of it. I know for a fact that VLSD was not an option on the 02-03, I have no idea why they never added it but unfortunately Nissan didn't. I know it's stupid but you'd have to take it up with nissan at the time. You CAN however swap diffs from the AE or I30T over to the newer RE4's. If you've referred to the Auto section that I have given you you will notice that there is NO service material for any LSD on the Automatics. It really was a shame but they must've figured that it wasn't needed as they had the computer technology to "simulate" an lsd.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Brudface
It's not the exact same transmission, there ARE small variations of it. I know for a fact that VLSD was not an option on the 02-03, I have no idea why they never added it but unfortunately Nissan didn't. I know it's stupid but you'd have to take it up with nissan at the time. You CAN however swap diffs from the AE or I30T over to the newer RE4's. If you've referred to the Auto section that I have given you you will notice that there is NO service material for any LSD on the Automatics. It really was a shame but they must've figured that it wasn't needed as they had the computer technology to "simulate" an lsd.
Yup, and if you've ever cracked both ope, no, not the same, VB's, solenoid packs and a few other small nuances, and the for each control is VERY different, 02/3 had CAN, sort of a nightmare.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Would someone please translate CVT-FTL? Yes I googled, I'm trying to understand the context.

Quick Reply: auto vs manual 5.5 gen