5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Request for Help With Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Request for Help With Transmission Flush

I am flushing my transmission with Amsoil right now.

I have followed the instructions in this post to the letter.

In short: I drained 5 quarts of old fluid from the drain plug, dropped the pan, cleaned the pan & magnets, installed new OEM gasket, replaced pan, fill with 5 quarts of new Amsoil, disconnect the return line from transmission & point it into empty container, start car, go through gears until 2 quarts have been emptied then turn off engine and add 2 quarts to the dipstick tube. Then you are supposed to repeat this...

I have only done this once (2 quarts) and all the fluid that has come out of the return line is brand new fluid. It seems like the send line is pulling fluid directly from the pan and sending it to the radiator.

I'm hesitant to keep going because it looks like I will just be wasting fluid and this stuff isn't cheap!

Can anyone shed any light on this. I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong but I can't understand why I am seeing new fluid come out and not old fluid.

Last edited by SquidBeak; 05-06-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 PM

You are done. The old stuff out.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:56 PM

I would love to believe that is the case, but I have only run 7 quarts through the transmission and it holds 9 quarts.

By the way, I am also putting in a Magnefine filter like you have done. How do you like yours?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:50 PM

You put in 7 and flushed out the 2 in the system.
That makes 9, no?

I haven't open up the magnafine yet but it's catching a bunch of **** i'm sure.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:43 PM

I put 5 quarts into the pan. After that, the first 2 quarts that pumped out of the return line were clean/new fluid. Weird. That should have been dirty fluid. It makes no sense.

To be safe I completed the procedure, using a total of 9.5 quarts. The extra .5 was for spillage and for the new filter. I was hoping to see dark fluid come out, but it didn't.

I still can't figure it out. I'm glad I installed the Magnefine filter in case there really are several quarts of old fluid remaining.

I'm looking forward to opening up and looking inside when I change it. Not sure if I'm going to wait until I've gone 30K as Magnefine recommends.

The shifting sure is smooth, though. Go Amsoil!

Last edited by SquidBeak; 05-06-2016 at 04:45 PM.