5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Timing Tensioner Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:50 AM

Timing Tensioner Noise

Hello, I have a quick question, I have a rattle from the engine that I believe to be the timing chain tensioner. It has been going on for years under moderate acceleration, but haven't paid to much attention to it. lately it has gotten worse, to basically anytime the engine is under load. i.e going up the hill on the highway with cruise on. Is this a common problem with this year? Purchased it 7 years ago with 59K. Now has 150K on it. Runs ok, just would like to preserve it. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:51 AM

Not really a common issue until the 6th gen in 2004.

The 5 and 5.5 gen are pretty solid with the timing chains often going 300,000 plus with no issues.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Bad *** Newb

If the chain were rattling it would happen at idle more than anything. The higher the rpm, the tighter the chain will become (not to mention more oil pressure for the tensioner).

What year is the car, etc. We need more details.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
If the chain were rattling it would happen at idle more than anything. The higher the rpm, the tighter the chain will become (not to mention 2more oil pressure for the tensioner).

What year is the car, get lyt. We need more details.
2002 auto, purchased with 55k on car. Now has 150k on it. Relatively easy miles. No other issues besides coil packs, Ac compressor, and some leaky valve covers. This is my 3rd Maxima, 95,96,and now my current one. So I am familiar with them. Just never had this rattle.. It does/did use oil, but that is a common problem, after reading on here, and I check the oil regularly.. Rattle has be there for at least 75k, just seems to have gotten worse over the last few more months.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by ONE BAD Maxima
2002 auto, purchased with 55k on car. Now has 150k on it. Relatively easy miles. No other issues besides coil packs, Ac compressor, and some leaky valve covers. This is my 3rd Maxima, 95,96,and now my current one. So I am familiar with them. Just never had this rattle.. It does/did use oil, but that is a common problem, after reading on here, and I check the oil regularly.. Rattle has be there for at least 75k, just seems to have gotten worse over the last few more months.
Perhaps it's not a rattle. It would make sense with your description that it's detonation.
If it were the precats bouncing around, I'd assume the engine would be dead by now.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:03 AM

Perhaps it's not a rattle. It would make sense with your description that it's detonation.
If it were the precats bouncing around, I'd assume the engine would be dead by now.
Detonation? I use 93, and do not have any codes. Last code I had was for evap canister, which I cleared, and doesn't come back for months. If it is detonation, any way to solve it?

I thought in the 95/96 the actual tensioner ( not guide slipage) could and does go out, and needs to be replaced... Is this not a problem with this year?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by ONE BAD Maxima
Detonation? I use 93, and do not have any codes. Last code I had was for evap canister, which I cleared, and doesn't come back for months. If it is detonation, any way to solve it?

I thought in the 95/96 the actual tensioner ( not guide slipage) could and does go out, and needs to be replaced... Is this not a problem with this year?
It is not an issue on these and should not occur as your sound does. It's easy to pull the tensioner cover if you want to put your mind at ease lol

I say detonation b/c when it crops up, it happens under load (particularly uphill) at part throttle and around 2k rpms. It's uncommon to happen with 93 octane, but I do recall a couple people that had it still happen. If this is it, then one step colder plugs should help.

It's really hard to diagnose engine noises, especially when you can't hear them in person. I'm just spitballing, but I don't think there's many things that elicit that exact symptom.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-10-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:10 PM

Precats bouncing around, are you referring to loosened catalytic material that could be sucked back into the motor?
Old 05-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Will
Precats bouncing around, are you referring to loosened catalytic material that could be sucked back into the motor?
Yes