5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Infiniti I35 Beginner's Engine Replacement (not swap)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Infiniti I35 Beginner's Engine Replacement (not swap)

Hi, I recently bought a 2002 Infiniti I35 with ridiculous miles and found a VQ35DE from another i35 that was being parted out with 80k on it for 200$. So being the bargain hunter that I am I snatched them both since the I35 is still driveable with the intent of replacing the engine. After buying the I35 and the engine though, I realized I have a slight problem; I don't know how to pull or install an engine. I have plenty of mechanical skills but I've never had much opportunity to work on a car. I've replaced hydraulics or electrical turrets in massive cnc machines worth hundreds of thousands of dollars so I'm not afraid to take on projects, but I was wondering if someone could give me a crash course on pulling and replacing. I know to take plenty of pictures and label everything, but I do have some specific questions

-The engine I bought came with the torque converter still attached, should I use the torque converter already in the car or the one on the engine I intend on installing?
-Would it be easier to pull the engine with the transmission still attached, or should I pull just the engine?
-What parts should ALWAYS be replaced when replacing an engine?

Other than that a general basics/crash course would be appreciated.
(or if anyone knows of a thread that covers this in depth and can point me in that direction, sorry if it already exists, I didn't find one.)
Old 05-17-2016, 07:27 PM

Download the fsm ,that should be pretty much all you need!

When I swapped my engine I pulled it separately from the trans than I just lowered the trans so I didn't put too much stress on the mount even tho I was supporting it from underneath.

Once the engine is out look at replacing the chain guides and half moon seals on the upper oil pan but DO NOT install the engine without replacing or at the minimum gutting the precats!or else
Old 05-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Download the fsm ,that should be pretty much all you need!

When I swapped my engine I pulled it separately from the trans than I just lowered the trans so I didn't put too much stress on the mount even tho I was supporting it from underneath.

Once the engine is out look at replacing the chain guides and half moon seals on the upper oil pan but DO NOT install the engine without replacing or at the minimum gutting the precats!or else
Yeah, it's stupidly straight forward. Disconnect everything necessary (leave AC compressor connected to lines), drop tranny, and lift engine.

Lifetime ban for using cats. We'll even steal your dog.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Yeah, it's stupidly straight forward. Disconnect everything necessary (leave AC compressor connected to lines), drop tranny, and lift engine.

Lifetime ban for using cats. We'll even steal your dog.
Sorry for the ignorance, what are pre-cats and what's an fsm? and how do i "gut the precat"?

and what would your guys recommendation be for which torque converter to use? Appreciate the help guys.

Last edited by Tyler199580; 05-17-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:55 AM

FSM-Factory Service Manual
No reason to gut the precats until you find that they are a problem.
If the car has been driven and trans has proven to be good, I'd stick with the converter that is presently in the car.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:25 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Turbonut
FSM-Factory Service Manual
No reason to gut the precats until you find that they are a problem.
If the car has been driven and trans has proven to be good, I'd stick with the converter that is presently in the car.

Not in a million years. I'm sure all the owners of blown up 3.5s on craigslist thought the same thing if they knew about it. The cats are the reason that engine died to begin with. Good call, leave the engine destroyers on the new engine...
It doesn't even matter if the replacement engine came with precats, those are junk, too.

Originally Posted by Tyler199580
Sorry for the ignorance, what are pre-cats and what's an fsm? and how do i "gut the precat"?

and what would your guys recommendation be for which torque converter to use? Appreciate the help guys.
Search precat on here and see what happens to your engine and for more info.
Use the original tq converter. I can't imagine the new one is even the same.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-18-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

Not in a million years. I'm sure all the owners of blown up 3.5s on craigslist thought the same thing if they knew about it. The cats are the reason that engine died to begin with. Good call, leave the engine destroyers on the new engine...
It doesn't even matter if the replacement engine came with precats, those are junk, too.

Search precat on here and see what happens to your engine and for more info.
Use the original tq converter. I can't imagine the new one is even the same.
Interesting. Ill have to do a search for precat removals.