5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PNP relay only in M/T max?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:40 AM

PNP relay only in M/T max?

Changed the starter a while back and had to clarify.

While replacing the starter there is no need to check the PNP Relay on the A/T models? Just the M/T models?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2016, 08:37 PM

The term PNP stands for Park Neutral Position. In the automatic trans cars, the starter circuit has a PNP relay. In the manual trans car, there is a clutch interlock relay. The cover on the relay box under the hood by the battery has the relay labeled INHIB (Inhibitor) regardless of the transmission.

These 2 relays do the same thing, close the electrical circuit between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. The difference is in what causes the relay to energize and close the circuit.

If you have a known bad starter and replace it, there is no need to check the relay, whatever it may be called. If the starter cranks the engine over when you turn the ignition key, the relay has just tested good.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The term PNP stands for Park Neutral Position. In the automatic trans cars, the starter circuit has a PNP relay. In the manual trans car, there is a clutch interlock relay. The cover on the relay box under the hood by the battery has the relay labeled INHIB (Inhibitor) regardless of the transmission.

These 2 relays do the same thing, close the electrical circuit between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. The difference is in what causes the relay to energize and close the circuit.

If you have a known bad starter and replace it, there is no need to check the relay, whatever it may be called. If the starter cranks the engine over when you turn the ignition key, the relay has just tested good.
Make a long story short the car was in a no-start.
So I was searching the engine for the PNP relay to take the guess work out of it.
I just went ahead and replaced the starter and the car started fine.
But If the car is in a no start it is something they recommend checking first.

It's labeled inhibitor so I didn't think it was a PNP relay. I wound up just taking the part in question to the store and they tested it on a machine.