5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 11:34 AM

ECU Upgrade

I thought I would share an email I received from Jetchip.com regarding a chip for the Max.

"I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition automatic. I was wondering if you have a chip for my car. Do you know what the hp and torque gains are for my car? Any and all information would be appreciated."

Reply: "We do have an ecu upgrade available for your application. The ecu upgrade does require that the factory ecu be sent to us for modification. You must purchase the upgrade package before sending the ecu to us for the modification. Suggested retail is $399.00, and the part number is 65002. The ecu upgrades are all done per the application, in other words, do all the modifications you intend on doing before you get the ecu upgraded. That way the program can be set up for the specific modifications. Hp gains would be dependant on the extent of modifications."

Hope this helps someone out there.

Tony
Old 01-30-2002, 11:55 AM

How long??

Did they tell you how long it would take them to get it back to you?

Is it like the other ECU upgrades where they charge $600, and then you get a refund to make your price $400?

Glad to hear there IS something out there...thanks for doing the leg-work for us!
Old 01-30-2002, 11:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ask them for dyno sheet proof of their upgrades. I wouldn't pay squat until they provided something like that.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:10 PM

...Oh, yeah! That, too.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here's some info I got from them on the phone:

They claim 15 hp at the wheels. I asked them to send me their dyno.

They say it is for a 97 and claim that they got the same results for a 2k+ but don't have that dyno - yeah right.

I asked him to mail me the dyno plot (he couldn't e-mail it to me) and told him I'd buy the upgrade if he sent the plot.

Won't give me back my money if results at my dyno don't match theirs.

ECU can be returned to stock during the 1 year warranty period. After that it costs $75 to return to stock.

The v-force product gives about 1/2 the results.

ECU doesn't change rev or speed limiters.

It seems to me that someone on this board purchased the jet upgrade? Anyone recall?
Old 01-30-2002, 01:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

1) How could they say they got the same results for the 2k+ w/o a dyno sheet?
2) Okay have then fax over the dyno sheet for the 97.

I know if I GOT GAINS from an ecu, I'd be faxing dyno sheets left and right.

Originally posted by Max_Gator

They say it is for a 97 and claim that they got the same results for a 2k+ but don't have that dyno - yeah right.

Old 01-30-2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
1) How could they say they got the same results for the 2k+ w/o a dyno sheet?
2) Okay have then fax over the dyno sheet for the 97.

I know if I GOT GAINS from an ecu, I'd be faxing dyno sheets left and right.

Obviously he was full of it.

I explained the difference between the 97 and 2k, and he just said "well we got the same results."

I think I did this once before with them and they never sent anything so I never bought anything.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:41 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

It seems to me that someone on this board purchased the jet upgrade? Anyone recall?
maxse01
Old 01-30-2002, 02:21 PM

I e-mailed them some questions, we'll see what they say
Old 01-30-2002, 04:17 PM

Thats also exactly what it says on there site. And what ive been saying.

God,
When will they lisen?
Old 01-30-2002, 04:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

They did a custom ecu for your supercharger? Did they give the ignition timing map and fuel curve changes?

Originally posted by max'n out
Thats also exactly what it says on there site. And what ive been saying.

God,
When will they lisen?
Old 01-30-2002, 04:31 PM

They did a custom ecu for your supercharger? Did they give the ignition timing map and fuel curve changes?

Jets mod is adjusting the fuel maps and ingintion maps. It's not just for the s/c. But really thats why it's contriversal. The ones that have the jet chip mod. Don't have many other mods to capitalize on whats they did.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

You DO know that ignition and fuel map changes are MUCH different for na maximas vs supercharged ones right? So if you are using a JET chip that is for NA maximas on your SC'd maxima that makes me VERY concerned.

ie.. you can't use a na JWT chip w/ a SC 4 gen because the timing maps would make the sc maxima detonate like crazy. Our ecus do not know what "boost" is w/o someone programming those varibles into the maps before hand.

Jets mod is adjusting the fuel maps and ingintion maps. It's not just for the s/c. But really thats why it's contriversal. The ones that have the jet chip mod. Don't have many other mods to capitalize on whats they did.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:03 PM

Re: How long??

Originally posted by max34
Did they tell you how long it would take them to get it back to you?

Is it like the other ECU upgrades where they charge $600, and then you get a refund to make your price $400?

Glad to hear there IS something out there...thanks for doing the leg-work for us!
I didn't ask and they didn't say how long it would take. I seriously doubt they have an ECU to ship to us for us to use while they work on it. I could be wrong. I guess this will be one of the last mods I do because of all the controversy. We'll see...

Tony
Old 01-30-2002, 07:13 PM

You DO know that ignition and fuel map changes are MUCH different for na maximas vs supercharged ones right? So if you are using a JET chip that is for NA maximas on your SC'd maxima that makes me VERY concerned.

ie.. you can't use a na JWT chip w/ a SC 4 gen because the timing maps would make the sc maxima detonate like crazy. Our ecus do not know what "boost" is w/o someone programming those varibles into the maps before hand.

I'm well aware of the differences. Thats just my point. The jet chip is not just a plain set up. So the guys that have it for example have like an intake and exhaust. So the fuel maps don't need adjusted up alot. Just a little.

Then for those with s/c, tranny mods, cams, pistons etc. they bump it to the proper levels.

(Just as examples.)

Thats basically what I'm trying to say. They do it per application there is no basic set up for a s/c or a na max. You tell um what you have dun. what the curves currently look like and they fix it.

My basic point is that those that have the chip mod, don't have much done. So the chip does not need much modifaction. So it may not be very noticeble as apposed to some one per say that would have a totally rebuilt engine.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:05 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Then for those with s/c, tranny mods, cams, pistons etc. they bump it to the proper levels.

(Just as examples.)

Thats basically what I'm trying to say. They do it per application there is no basic set up for a s/c or a na max. You tell um what you have dun. what the curves currently look like and they fix it.
I would not want someone tinkering with my fuel if they aren't there to monitor the timing or see the dyno (and a/f) curves. Sounds like it's a guessing game and power will not be maximized.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:27 AM

huh? enough babble.

The question is whether the damn thing gives 15hp to the wheels for a 2k+ stock or if they are full of it.

No money back guarantee, no dyno to support the claim.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:29 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

huh? enough babble.

The question is whether the damn thing gives 15hp to the wheels for a 2k+ stock or if they are full of it.

I would bet my SC that they're full of it.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:30 AM

What do you think? They won't guarantee it. They don't have a dyno showing it.

Hmmm...

Lets think here for a minute...

*sniff* *sniff*

Yep, that's right smells like BS to me.

Stereodude
Old 01-31-2002, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Stereodude
What do you think? They won't guarantee it. They don't have a dyno showing it.

Hmmm...

Lets think here for a minute...

*sniff* *sniff*

Yep, that's right smells like BS to me.

Stereodude
Hey - you got my point!

Old 01-31-2002, 08:12 AM

i emailed them a few months ago and got a response a while later telling me to give them my address so they could send all the info i requested (including a dyno) but it never came.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:04 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's funny how they can do a chip for a SC maxima w/o having one for tuning.

I think the reason it works for your sc maxima is because they didn't do anything to it. so is runs just like all the other sc maximas w/ stock ecus.

It's funny they can say "oh we can do that" like it's just some simple thing.

Sorry man, I maintain that they did zero to your ecu. I strongly suggest they fax you some dyno sheets right NOW, fax over the stock/modified fuel/timing maps or refund your money ASAP. Because from what I just read, they didn't do squat.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they did. Everyone here would be jumping on that shat bigtime.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

I would not want someone tinkering with my fuel if they aren't there to monitor the timing or see the dyno (and a/f) curves. Sounds like it's a guessing game and power will not be maximized.
Woun't argue with that.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:06 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Is Superchips the same way? Will they give you the shaft like JET?
Old 01-31-2002, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Aaron92SE
Is Superchips the same way? Will they give you the shaft like JET?
Superchips is the same kind of company as jet. Never talked to them, but they have the same solid rep as jet.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

"solid"? Did you get those ign/fuel/dyno maps from Jet yet? No one else has.

Superchips is the same kind of company as jet. Never talked to them, but they have the same solid rep as jet.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:30 PM

"solid"? Did you get those ign/fuel/dyno maps from Jet yet? No one else has.

Ive seen qite a few cars dun by jet, all of them have had good results. The only car that people Ive seen debate over is the maxima. ONe bad apple? Maybe. Maybe not. But on the whole they do have a solid rep.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

I've read more complaints about JET than good reviews. Of the chip makers, I say JET has one of the worst reps. That's why w/o solid information, I wouldn't trust them further than I could throw their marketing director.

So did you take my advice yet?

Ive seen qite a few cars dun by jet, all of them have had good results. The only car that people Ive seen debate over is the maxima. ONe bad apple? Maybe. Maybe not. But on the whole they do have a solid rep.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:36 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Has anybody seen dyno sheets for Superchips? What about JWT?
Old 01-31-2002, 01:44 PM

I've read more complaints about JET than good reviews.
I echo that comment!
Old 01-31-2002, 01:51 PM
PhatGuy

Also

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=95254

Old 01-31-2002, 02:46 PM

I've read more complaints about JET than good reviews. Of the chip makers, I say JET has one of the worst reps. That's why w/o solid information, I wouldn't trust them further than I could throw their marketing director.

So did you take my advice yet?

What advise is that?
Old 01-31-2002, 06:33 PM

I got an e-mail back form them..

Here's my question(s):
"> I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima, atuomatic. Do have have a JetChip application for our cars (2000-2001)? What kind of gains can I expect? What does it improve (HP, Torque, increased revlimiter, top speed governor removed, etc)? Can I see some dyno charts for a 2000 Maxima? What will it cost? And any other useful info you have for me, Thanks"

Here is their response:
"The V-Force box would mount under the
> dash and you would route the wiring out under the
> hood. You will have to tap into the TPS wire and
> splice the MAP or MAF wire, depending on the
> application. The V-Force will gain an average of
We do have an ecu upgrade available for your application. The ecu upgrade does require that the factory ecu be sent to us for modification. You must purchase the upgrade package before sending the ecu to us for
the modification. Suggested retail is $399.00, and the part number is 65002. The ecu upgrades are all done per the application, in other words, do all the modifications you intend on doing before you get the ecu upgraded. That way the program can be set up for the specific modifications.Hp gains would be dependant on the extent of modifications
"
Old 01-31-2002, 07:57 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I have set numerous emails to them for the past month trying to get dyno results. I have had one emailed replied by them. But, when I ask the question, "I am going to buy your product, can you tell me where to send the cash?", they instantly reply. It's weird how they tend to check their email as soon as I send them that message.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

Exactly! All Bs

V-force. WTF could it do when it only connects to two things. Stupid.

ECU: Abosolutely no info. Just the usual line of BS that fools no one.

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
I got an e-mail back form them..

Here's my question(s):
"> I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima, atuomatic. Do have have a JetChip application for our cars (2000-2001)? What kind of gains can I expect? What does it improve (HP, Torque, increased revlimiter, top speed governor removed, etc)? Can I see some dyno charts for a 2000 Maxima? What will it cost? And any other useful info you have for me, Thanks"

Here is their response:
"The V-Force box would mount under the
> dash and you would route the wiring out under the
> hood. You will have to tap into the TPS wire and
> splice the MAP or MAF wire, depending on the
> application. The V-Force will gain an average of
We do have an ecu upgrade available for your application. The ecu upgrade does require that the factory ecu be sent to us for modification. You must purchase the upgrade package before sending the ecu to us for
the modification. Suggested retail is $399.00, and the part number is 65002. The ecu upgrades are all done per the application, in other words, do all the modifications you intend on doing before you get the ecu upgraded. That way the program can be set up for the specific modifications.Hp gains would be dependant on the extent of modifications
"
Old 02-01-2002, 07:12 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Exactly! All Bs

Sounds like an AFC, but with less features.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:49 PM

I agree 100%.

JET has one of the worst reputations among chip tuners. Ive seen several back to back dyno tests where their program LOST power over the stock program.

Also, and this is the worst, JET "started" making ECU's for Neons awhile back. Well, one of the Neon guys who apparently knew his way around the stock ECU sent away for one as a test. The ECU they sent back to him contained the EXACT STOCK program! All they did was put a JET sticker on the case!

If half of what you hear about JET is true, Id say its safe to say they are pretty shady. I wouldnt waste my money with them.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:02 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Exactly! All Bs

ECU: Abosolutely no info. Just the usual line of BS that fools no one.

What I have heard somewhere is that the V-Force sends false signals to the TPS and MAF. Which in turn, makes the stock ECU think it needs to change the timing and a/f ratio. Which is suppose to make you faster. What do you think? Why is it that all my sentences began with the letter "W"? Wierd!
Old 02-01-2002, 03:08 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think it's a load of crap. Why would this think work, when they lie about their ecu? It's probably just same Venom crap that everyone that has sheit for brains went ga-ga over.

Originally posted by Aaron92SE

What I have heard somewhere is that the V-Force sends false signals to the TPS and MAF. Which in turn, makes the stock ECU think it needs to change the timing and a/f ratio. Which is suppose to make you faster. What do you think? Why is it that all my sentences began with the letter "W"? Wierd!
Old 02-20-2002, 12:36 AM

CHARGE IT ON YOUR VISA CARD...

There's no such thing as a no-rufund policy. If you use your Visa card to purchase the Jet ECU, you are guaranteed satisfaction.

If it doesn't work as advertised, you call up Visa & dispute the charge... Just tell Visa: "THE DAMN THING DOESN'T WORK AS ADVERTISED!!!"

I've returned items before to websites even AFTER their 30-day refund period expired! I basically called them up & said: "Listen, your product DOES NOT work as advertised & if you don't give me a full refund, I'll dispute it through Visa & you'll get a bad merchant rating from me" ...that was enough for them to issue me a FULL refund!

Someone with a modded-out 2k or 2k2 should charge it & dyno it. The good thing about this setup is, what are they going to do when you ask for a refund, re-program it to back to the factory settings?... HA! They can't do anything! But if they do ask to re-program it back, buy a second ECU (just in case they want to screw you & mess up the settings) and ship them the new ECU to be "re-programmed" back to factory settings. Then return the new ECU bac for a refund also & all is cool.

Any thoughts?

G

Quick Reply: ECU Upgrade