5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 11:27 PM

Does the Apexi rEmove the rev lim?...

I was wondering if the Apexi below actually removes the limiter...

http://www.rev-industries.com/apexih...speedmeter.htm

A previous thread seemed to indicate that it doesn't... If it does, then it's a great deal (cheaper than the questionable Jet & also has performance-meter functions similar to the G-Tech)

Thanks,
G
Old 02-21-2002, 08:12 AM

Re: Does the Apexi rEmove the rev lim?...

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
I was wondering if the Apexi below actually removes the limiter...

http://www.rev-industries.com/apexih...speedmeter.htm

A previous thread seemed to indicate that it doesn't... If it does, then it's a great deal (cheaper than the questionable Jet & also has performance-meter functions similar to the G-Tech)

Thanks,
G
Kevs the one that said it. But why get it? All it does is lose the limiter, do you need to go faster than 130?
Old 02-21-2002, 08:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Does the Apexi rEmove the rev lim?...

Originally posted by max'n out

Kevs the one that said it. But why get it? All it does is lose the limiter, do you need to go faster than 130?
Did you NEED a supercharger?
Old 02-21-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Does the Apexi rEmove the rev lim?...

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Did you NEED a supercharger?
Yes, it was vital to my survial!
Old 02-21-2002, 04:37 PM

Well the docs say it also removes your rev-limiter (not just the speed limiter). Could this mean shifts at higher RPMs for us automagicians?...

And you also get the G-Tech-like performance meter options

If it works as described, you won't need to hit the track to get your 1/4 times

G

Old 02-21-2002, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE

Well the docs say it also removes your rev-limiter (not just the speed limiter). Could this mean shifts at higher RPMs for us automagicians?...

And you also get the G-Tech-like performance meter options

If it works as described, you won't need to hit the track to get your 1/4 times

G

Ive heard of raising the rev limiter but never removing it. I don't know what the hell that means, tha'd be like the enging just keep going and not shifting.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does the Apexi rEmove the rev lim?...

Ive heard of raising the rev limiter but never removing it. I don't know what the hell that means, tha'd be like the enging just keep going and not shifting.
Yeah, you're right!... that wouldn't be pleasant for us Max owners, cause we'd launch the sucker into orbit beyond 6500rpm...

Later,
G
Old 02-22-2002, 01:05 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by Jeff92se
You DO know that ignition and fuel map changes are MUCH different for na maximas vs supercharged ones right? So if you are using a JET chip that is for NA maximas on your SC'd maxima that makes me VERY concerned.

ie.. you can't use a na JWT chip w/ a SC 4 gen because the timing maps would make the sc maxima detonate like crazy. Our ecus do not know what "boost" is w/o someone programming those varibles into the maps before hand.

Alright here is my .02 from someone who has a little more than a year of experience DESIGNING/TESTING/PROGRAMMING ECUs for jet engines.

First, to the comment above, they didn't change ANYTHING therefore it will work fine, EXACTLY the same as before you sent it in except they charged you $$ for nothing. I wish I could get the checksum from the ECU, then send it to JET, and then verify they didn't change anything.

Second, if they reprogrammed the ECU, I'm pretty sure the ECU would have to be reprogrammed to match the code that the NVIS uses to start the car. Basically, if all three components(key, key cylinder, ECU) don't match the car doesn't start. It is posible it's sector programmable or kept on a different chip so it can be stored/programmed individually, but I doubt it.

Third, if JWT could NOT do it sucessfully, then there is no way in hell someone else would be able to do anything worthwhile. JWT has more experience than anyone on Nissan ECUs and they would be the first to market a worthwhile product. I heard a RUMOR from Cattman that JWT could modify the flash on the ECU, but once you disconnected power it was lost. I'm not sure how they program just the flash and not the EPROM.

Fourth, the A-VFC/V-force/Any other piggy back ECUs are a BAD idea. All they do is "TRICK" the input/output signals to the ECU and cause it to modify the fuel, timing, etc... This works to a point, albeit SMALL. If they actually modify the signals too much, your ECU will freak out and override/compensate otherwise it will go into limp mode and the MIL will come on. The ONLY way to sucessfully accomplish this is to take the output signals from the ECU, drive the output signals lower/higher, and then modify the inputs back to the ECU. This sounds simple, but you better have some SERIOUS logic for protection, otherwise your basically overriding all of the ECUs protection measures the Engineers spent years painfully figuring out on testbeds, dynos, and proving ground test trials.

Fifth, PLEASE email, write, call, stop by, JWT to ASK/BEG/PLEA for them to reconsider spending more R&D on our ECU. I don't think it's 100% impossible, but the problem is that it's going to take a lot of interest from Maxima owners to make JWT take on the expensive process of R&D for 2-years worth of Maximas. It's just NOT worthwhile business wise, unless there is a lot of interest.

P.S: What a beautiful SCAM! People send them $400 and their ECU, then they keep it for a day while doing NOTHING to it, and then ship it back to you. Who would notice? Only TRUE enthusiasts who would dyno BEFORE AND AFTER to prove it!

I love this board!
Old 02-22-2002, 10:17 PM

YES! YOU DO! Kev originally informed me about the apexi rsm. I'm getting it as soon as I have the extra cash. I am sick and tired of getting smoked due to my limiter.

Oh, and the jet chip people are full of sh*t! They just want to make money. I'm not saying that it doesn't work, but they can't even give us straight answers so screw them. I wanna see dynos. Is it true that it doesn't remove the speed limiter? Kev, mabey you can field this one.

I hear the Haltech ecu is absolutly sick. Don't know much about it except that it needs to be carefully tuned.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Dan4614

\

I hear the Haltech ecu is absolutly sick. Don't know much about it except that it needs to be carefully tuned.
Haltech is sick. It's a brand new ecu. You start by tuning it on the dyno, then you move to the street and tune it via a laptop in real time. But they have no base program. So on top of the 1145 base price you alos need another 200 bucks of parts and at least 8 hours of tuning. And really if you don't have a good bit of mods that your trying to squeze power out of you don't need it at all.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does the Apexi rEmove the rev lim?...

Haltech is sick. It's a brand new ecu. You start by tuning it on the dyno, then you move to the street and tune it via a laptop in real time. But they have no base program. So on top of the 1145 base price you alos need another 200 bucks of parts and at least 8 hours of tuning. And real if you don't have a good bit of mods that your trying to squeze power out of you don't need it at all.
It's also a Stand alone Engine Controler.

That means NOT plug-n-play, so you must completely disable the stock ECU. This elminates ANY systems controlled and monitored. Then you must splice/connect all the sensors, injectors, etc. . Also, a long and tedious process.

Tuning the ECU is the EASY part.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does the Apexi rEmove the rev lim?...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

It's also a Stand alone Engine Controler.

That means NOT plug-n-play, so you must completely disable the stock ECU. This elminates ANY systems controlled and monitored. Then you must splice/connect all the sensors, injectors, etc. . Also, a long and tedious process.

Tuning the ECU is the EASY part.
Thats why I said it's a brand new ecu. You don't keep the factory ecu at all.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does the Apexi rEmove the rev lim?...

Thats why I said it's a brand new ecu. You don't keep the factory ecu at all.
Dooh!

I thought the Haltech had been out for long enough not to be called "new".

AEM is the new kid on the block.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does the Apexi rEmove the rev lim?...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Dooh!

I thought the Haltech had been out for long enough not to be called "new".

AEM is the new kid on the block.
No I mean new as in it's a new ecu to replace the stock old ecu, not a piggy back unit for the ecu.

Aem's new piece don't have anything for nissan at all either. To bad too cuz there much cheaper.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:01 PM
ABS

The WRX's have a plug and play computer that is fully programmable called the Link. Why don't we have one like this for our Maximas?