5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ATTN: ALL 2k2 6 SPEED OWNERS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002 | 05:28 PM

ATTN: ALL 2k2 6 SPEED OWNERS!

just recently i was drivig down the road in 6th at 60 mph gettin the good gas mileage that 6th gear offers......well i decided that i needed to speed up so i go from 6th to 3rd since that is wopptimal speed for that gear (redline 2nd goes to 62ish mph) when doing so i hear a ERRRRRRRRRR grinding gear!!! i was like damn i am an idiot i didnt have the clutch all the way in....... so just to make sure i repeat my actions once more! to my dismay i made sure the clutch was to the floor and did the same 6th to 3rd and ERRRRRRRRRR grind!!! OK NOW IM MAD!!! i go to my dealership where i bought it from but convieniently they r closed since it is past 5:30pm!!! i talk to a few peeps and they dont believe me since i am a begginer at driving a manual tranny..... so i say FUC@ IT and walk out! come back the next day of coares when service was open and told them my complaint.... so they let one of their technicians drive it and of coarse he could duplicate the grind so i say let me take u for a ride and sure enough 60 mph 6th to 3rd ERRRRRR he looked at me and was like what was that!! i was like thats what i am asking u!!! he was like do it again.. so i didt i was like watch my foot its to the floor and of coarse ERRRRRR grind he was like hmmmmmmm take it back!!! he tells the service manager to order me a new tranny and the manager was like NO WAY we are ripping it apart to find out what is causing this!! so this that and the other we talk blah blah...... next day (today) i call to see what it was and they were like uh we dont know yet we will call u tomorrow morning and tell you!! so they are either replacing the tranny or rebuilding the original one!!! IM MAD!! i have 2k miles on it and the tranny is already bad? thats nice to know and the service guy told my mom this was normal for all new cars like she had never boughten a new car before!!! so here i am driving my moms car ES 300 lexus and she has a rental toyota avalon since i am 17 they cant let me drive it!! no telling how long this will take!!! OH it felt like 4th was about to start doing it as well! i have felt something weird in the way it has shifted from the beggining but all my friend were like oh ur new at driving a manual tranny its normal and now this happens!!! just thought that u guys should watch out!

will
Old 01-30-2002 | 05:38 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

were you doing right from 6th yo 3rd, no double clutch, no hittinh 5th or 4th. if you weren't that's why.
Old 01-30-2002 | 05:44 PM

no i double clutched and it also does it in 5th even under normal shifting i can feel the grind in 3rd through the shifter coming from 2nd there is something wrong not just excessive downshift! i have already been through that!
Old 01-30-2002 | 05:51 PM

With syncro's in todays tranny's, you shouldn't have to double clutch or downshift from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3rd. You should be able to go right from 6 to 3. Sounds like the syncros are bad. That's what warranties are for.
Old 01-30-2002 | 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
With syncro's in todays tranny's, you shouldn't have to double clutch or downshift from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3rd. You should be able to go right from 6 to 3. Sounds like the syncros are bad. That's what warranties are for.
6-3 is still too much of a jump, i wouldn't want to do it.
Old 01-30-2002 | 05:58 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

6-3 is still too much of a jump, i wouldn't want to do it.
60mph is a 2nd gear mph go from 6th to 3rd and see with double clutching and without it wont do it bc ur tranny is normal!!! i have done both not double clutching and double clutching in the past and nothing has happened but now somehting like this NOT RIGHT!! 60mph for 3rd is nothing its not that big of a jump! the clutch make wierd groaning/ ticking noises as well.... i have heard its my syncro's and or the cltuch throw out bearing.... either way this is not suppoessed to happen on a 2 week old car!

will
Old 01-30-2002 | 06:10 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE

60mph is a 2nd gear mph go from 6th to 3rd and see with double clutching and without it wont do it bc ur tranny is normal!!! i have done both not double clutching and double clutching in the past and nothing has happened but now somehting like this NOT RIGHT!! 60mph for 3rd is nothing its not that big of a jump! the clutch make wierd groaning/ ticking noises as well.... i have heard its my syncro's and or the cltuch throw out bearing.... either way this is not suppoessed to happen on a 2 week old car!

will
ya i hear ya, i'm not saying it will grind but i wouldn't make a practice of just doing it.
Old 01-30-2002 | 06:21 PM

Sixth to third

fifth to third is very normal. It is excellent when passing, but as DMB said try not and do it to often, you can tell it is very hard on your tranny. Unfortunately for you Will you got a bad tranny, that's the breaks.

DMB do org members get a discount from Frankencar?
Old 01-30-2002 | 06:25 PM

Re: Sixth to third

Originally posted by Blackgums100
fifth to third is very normal. It is excellent when passing, but as DMB said try not and do it to often, you can tell it is very hard on your tranny. Unfortunately for you Will you got a bad tranny, that's the breaks.

DMB do org members get a discount from Frankencar?
haven't thought about that yet, i'm gonna run a group deal on the .org. since 99% of my business if from you guys if i gave a discount i would give almost everyone one. i'll think of something for you guys.
Old 01-30-2002 | 08:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmm, when I shift from 6th to 3rd I just hit the clutch once. What the hell is double clutching anyways? When I go from 6th to 3rd I just push the shifter in nuetral and then puch forward{one smooth motion), ta da. I don't see why some one would have to push the clutch in more then once to achieve this? Nuetrals nuetral.

However I have noticed 3rd gear is very notchy on my car, every now and then I grind it under WOT(2-3). It's been happening a lot less lately since I have gotten a better feel for the car.
Old 01-31-2002 | 07:01 AM

Originally posted by emax95
Hmm, when I shift from 6th to 3rd I just hit the clutch once. What the hell is double clutching anyways? When I go from 6th to 3rd I just push the shifter in nuetral and then puch forward{one smooth motion), ta da. I don't see why some one would have to push the clutch in more then once to achieve this? Nuetrals nuetral.

However I have noticed 3rd gear is very notchy on my car, every now and then I grind it under WOT(2-3). It's been happening a lot less lately since I have gotten a better feel for the car.
i dont think double clutching is actually DOUBLE clutching. my friend explained it to me once since im about to get my first manual car. double clutching is just reving the RPMs when you downshift, right? when you shift from 5 to 3, you want 3rd to engage at the optimal RPMs instead of being too low on the tach. someone who knows exactly what it is should be able to explain it better.
Old 01-31-2002 | 07:15 AM

Here you go - here is a link talking about double-clutching.

http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm
Old 01-31-2002 | 07:19 AM

downshifting should always be preceeded with a blip of the throttle to raise the RPMs, otherwise, you are going from like 2,500 RPM directly to 5,000 or so RPM (don't know the Max's RPM/Shift stats). This is bad ... unless you blip the throttle and rev match your gear selection to the engine RPM.

Regardless, the tranny shouldn't grind, not even if you are downshifting into redline situations ... been there done that ... downshifted from 4th to 3rd instead of upshifting from 4th to 5th by accident ... did so at the top of 4th. This was in my Cougar doing about 115 @ 6500+ RPMs and I missed 5th and caught 3rd ... 3rd on that car topped around 80-85. Needless to say, I caught the mistake in time and slapped the clutch to the floor the instant I realized this ... by that time, the tach had actually bounced off the far end! The tach ends at 8K and the rev limiter in the Cougar is 6750 RPM ... needless to say, when I got home, I checked my pants first

If it's grinding going into any gear with the clutch depressed and fully disingaged, it is most likely your syncronizers. 100 to 1 odds, that is what the dealership will find
Old 01-31-2002 | 07:41 AM

hmmm....i really havent much experience going from 6th to 3rd..4th seems low enough...but 3rd gear has always felt a lil off...sometimes it grinds from 2 to 3...but its never been as smooth as all the rest of the gears....
Old 01-31-2002 | 10:45 AM

i just got off the phone with the dealer and tmy problem is recognized nation wide they have had many complaints about the 3rd gear issue that i have encounterd....... my advise is if this situation happens to u GO TO THE DEALER ASAP!!! the coperate office in CALI told my dealer thatthey have had this complaint a few times accross the nation!!! they said normaly it is 3rd, 4th, and reverse!!! and accually i have had a problem with all 3!!!! 3rd grinding and 4th feels like it will..... with reverse i KNOW I PUT IT IN GEAR!!!! release thew clutch with plenty of gas and go no where!!! so watch out and if this happens to u ur dealer will fix it!!! i am still waiting to find out if they r giving my a new tranny or salvaging this one! my guess is that they r gonna take mine to cali for some inspection!! THIS SUCKS!!!! oh and when i do downshift i match my rev with the proper gear!!! watch out all u 6 speed owners sounds like nissan is in some ****!!!!

will
Old 01-31-2002 | 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Newman96SE

i dont think double clutching is actually DOUBLE clutching. my friend explained it to me once since im about to get my first manual car. double clutching is just reving the RPMs when you downshift, right? when you shift from 5 to 3, you want 3rd to engage at the optimal RPMs instead of being too low on the tach. someone who knows exactly what it is should be able to explain it better.
Ohh ok, then yeah I guess I always "double clutch" then(on all my shifts). If you don't do that the car will jerk on such a extreme down shift.
Old 01-31-2002 | 10:56 AM

Originally posted by WILLSE
i just got off the phone with the dealer and tmy problem is recognized nation wide they have had many complaints about the 3rd gear issue that i have encounterd....... my advise is if this situation happens to u GO TO THE DEALER ASAP!!! the coperate office in CALI told my dealer thatthey have had this complaint a few times accross the nation!!! they said normaly it is 3rd, 4th, and reverse!!! and accually i have had a problem with all 3!!!! 3rd grinding and 4th feels like it will..... with reverse i KNOW I PUT IT IN GEAR!!!! release thew clutch with plenty of gas and go no where!!! so watch out and if this happens to u ur dealer will fix it!!! i am still waiting to find out if they r giving my a new tranny or salvaging this one! my guess is that they r gonna take mine to cali for some inspection!! THIS SUCKS!!!! oh and when i do downshift i match my rev with the proper gear!!! watch out all u 6 speed owners sounds like nissan is in some ****!!!!

will
Please keep us all updated, good field work BTW. I noticed the other day when I floored my car in reverse the shifter would pop out of R once I hit about 25 MPH.
Old 01-31-2002 | 11:34 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Are Nissan engineers just morons ?
Why don't you tell us after you work with them. When are you moving out to Cali anyhow?

Stereodude
Old 01-31-2002 | 11:41 AM

Half the time I had a 2nd to 3rd gear grind. I kept thinking I forgot to push in the clutch all the way, but I then figured out that wasn't the case. It was a mild grind though. I found that if I shifted too quickly from 2nd to 3rd, that's when it occured. When I slowed down my shift, the grind didn't happen. It almost seems like it has slow synchronizers or something.
Old 01-31-2002 | 01:03 PM

Please keep us all updated, good field work BTW. I noticed the other day when I floored my car in reverse the shifter would pop out of R once I hit about 25 MPH.
safety feautre?
Old 01-31-2002 | 03:18 PM

sounds to me like it is a large number of people that his is happening to!!! im not happy and all of u other guys with similar cases shouldnt be either!! wait to find out what happens in my situation and figure out what you want to do about it! i honestly dont feel comfterable gettin another tranny since 1% of all the 6 speeds out there are having this problem i was the 1% before my luck i will be again! lemon law will come into effect if this keeps up like i have a feeling it will!!! im not happy at all with nissan service department i got into an argument with one of the guys and he pretty much threatend me with work on my car!!! this whole situation makes me think twice about buyin another nissan! i will keep you informed and as i expected..... the nissan service guy told me that he would call at the end of the day today to let me know something it is now 6:15 and STILL NO CALL!!!! some service all i can say is 1-800-NISSAN-1 which is the consumer report hotline!! this is gettin out of hand!! any sugestions i dont want to say anything more while he has my car at his mercey!!

will
Old 01-31-2002 | 03:32 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

hehe..........more Minimas abound.....looks like all 2k2 6-speeds now qualify.

Please join promptly:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....698#post470978
Old 01-31-2002 | 04:19 PM

happened to me once too, scared the hell out of me. oh well. i want to know what's up with thte 2-3 shift, it sucks most of the time.
Old 01-31-2002 | 06:37 PM

Sweet, I'm going to have a minima. I can't wait.

Stereodude
Old 01-31-2002 | 07:05 PM

I'm getting worried here. I'm getting ready to buy a 6-speed and I'm hearing of what seems to be lots of qc problems with these cars. Might just have to keep the '99 se as it's been relatively flawless. Has the quality of these cars dropped over the years?
Old 01-31-2002 | 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Stereodude
Sweet, I'm going to have a minima. I can't wait.

Stereodude
Admitting your Maxima is a Minima is the first step to bigger and better things: S4, Bimmer, etc.
Old 01-31-2002 | 08:00 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe
Admitting your Maxima is a Minima is the first step to bigger and better things: S4, Bimmer, etc.
Yeah, great things to hear considering I've not even got the car from the dealer yet.

Stereodude
Old 01-31-2002 | 08:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

... THIS SUCKS!!!! oh and when i do downshift i match my rev with the proper gear!!! watch out all u 6 speed owners sounds like nissan is in some ****!!!! ...

Settle down.. U say the car is only 2 weeks old and your takin it from 6th to 3rd.. (breakin? whats that?) You wanted a SIX speed, they provided one of the first ones in a 4 door sedan.Thell make it right. Just play there game and be nice or else its F.U. There are things such as CSI..lemon laws...JD.Powers...Nissan is commited to makin things right...they dislike neg PR, so be cooooool dial 1.800.nissan1...thell keep U in rental (ps U are entitled to "like" vehicle, no toylet) ...the six speed is something new. Japan dont like to hear there enginers F-uped...PLAY THE GAME, and youll enjoy the ride.
Old 01-31-2002 | 10:02 PM

2nd to 3rd grind

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this problem. My 2nd to 3rd shifts grind periodically if I am a little sloppy. If I am very precise, I can avoid it. I thought it was just me and this new shifter. Now I know otherwise and I will call 1800Nissan and file a complaint.

Now, I had put a thread out about another experience I'm having, and it has to do with a bit of a lug when accelerating quickly. It almost feels like a downshift in an auto. Anybody else having that experience?

srm
Old 01-31-2002 | 11:36 PM

Not Mine

Wow! I've got about 6k on my 6spd and other than the paint it has been mechanically sound. I've been driving stick for over 20 years and I have had no problems with the tranny. It sounds like it has cone syncro's on 1st and 2nd, but the down shifts have been smooth (even the accidental ones) in all gears. My only complaint, albiet a minor one, is that I occasionally flub the 2-3 shift ending up in 5th instead of third. My last car required a deliberate angled shift compared to the Maxima which finds the right gear if you don't over control it.
Old 02-01-2002 | 05:44 AM

Originally posted by MONTARABOB
You wanted a SIX speed, they provided one of the first ones in a 4 door sedan.Thell make it right.

This is Nissan you're talking about......their job is to blame the customer, not take responsibility from screw-ups. That is their track record. Why would this be any different.

Just play there game and be nice or else its F.U. There are things such as CSI..lemon laws...JD.Powers...Nissan is commited to makin things right...

How long have you been in the Nissan "family" and are you aware of their reputation? Unless you're driving an Infiniti, they don't give a crap about your issues......

they dislike neg PR, so be cooooool dial 1.800.nissan1...thell keep U in rental (ps U are entitled to "like" vehicle, no toylet) ...the six speed is something new. Japan dont like to hear there enginers F-uped...PLAY THE GAME, and youll enjoy the ride.
I'm sorry, but no one with an ounce of experience with Nissan products could possibly believe this, and you are describing Lexus/Infiniti service and NOT anything a Nissan product will get you.
Old 02-01-2002 | 06:56 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

I'm in motorsports, not in new car design or engineering

So I don't give a damm about them.

ha! you'll fit right in then.. isn't that the deal now with the Z and Skyline groups? Neither gives a rats @ss about each other.
Old 02-01-2002 | 07:28 AM
Boost.....

Hey...I'm over on 5th gen most the time...(dodging eggs)....and I have started a thread over there.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS....slight grind every now and then from 2nd to 3rd, but not on the down shift.

BTW....I have no problem from 6th to 3rd.

And to maxmann....YES Mine hesitates the same way....I think its the electronic Drive By Wire accelorator..SP???...It opens up when you put more pressure, and hesitates just a tad.

CALLING NISSAN-1 NOW!!!

Padsy....02 Speed
AE Sills
HLSD Pedals
Vol tag holder...ha!!
Old 02-01-2002 | 08:15 AM

I started a similar topic a few weeks along the same lines. When shifting from 2 to 3, I occasionally get a bit of a "crunch" as it goes into third. If I'm careful I can avoid it.

The other thing I've noticed is that when I'm waiting at a stop and I've put the car in neutral (foot off the clutch) and I go to but it back into first to go, occasionally I have a hard time getting it into first.

It feels a little bit like when you try and put the car in reverse and it won't go all the way into gear so you ease off the clutch a little bit to get it to pop in.

Originally posted by Paul6speed
Half the time I had a 2nd to 3rd gear grind. I kept thinking I forgot to push in the clutch all the way, but I then figured out that wasn't the case. It was a mild grind though. I found that if I shifted too quickly from 2nd to 3rd, that's when it occured. When I slowed down my shift, the grind didn't happen. It almost seems like it has slow synchronizers or something.
Old 02-01-2002 | 08:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

...How long have you been in the Nissan "family" and are you aware of their reputation? Unless you're driving an Infiniti, they don't give a crap about your issues......

Over the past 19 years I've put over 400,000 miles behind
the wheels of Nissan/Datsuns...started with a datsun dealer
in 1983...been a parts mgr with em the past 13...one thing I’ve learned, POSITIVE ATTITUDE YIELDS POSITIVE RESULTS. I’m on the “other side” of the counter. I’m human to. How you treat me will determine how I treat you.
Old 02-01-2002 | 08:53 AM

ummmm...

ok.. why don't you give the old 'secret shopper' a try across town at a Nissan dealership that you dont work at and doesnt know you.

When I have to argue the letter of my Nissan "GOLD" warranty to Nissan themselves just to get the most simple, obvious problem addressed, then something is wrong.

I really think that most service managers hands are tied on these issues, so I dont completely blame them.

It's ok.. I'll be going to Lexus next over Infiniti. Their loss.. Oh, I better run as I've been waiting 3 weeks for a 'call you back tomorrow' inquiry to Nissan NA about why it has taken 2 years to have my transmission properly diagnosed and 6 months to have a paint inspector meet me for the 3rd time. Gosh, I'm so lucky to have their concern for me.
Old 02-01-2002 | 09:47 AM

I agree. I have not had a problem with a Nissan dealer yet. I go in with a nice friendly attitude and they respond likewise. I've had warranty work done on my previous 2000 Maxima, including the rotors twice. They've addressed all my problems without argument or resistance. I know people who have gone to same dealer and had problems. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Originally posted by MONTARABOB
...How long have you been in the Nissan "family" and are you aware of their reputation? Unless you're driving an Infiniti, they don't give a crap about your issues......

Over the past 19 years I've put over 400,000 miles behind
the wheels of Nissan/Datsuns...started with a datsun dealer
in 1983...been a parts mgr with em the past 13...one thing I’ve learned, POSITIVE ATTITUDE YIELDS POSITIVE RESULTS. I’m on the “other side” of the counter. I’m human to. How you treat me will determine how I treat you.
Old 02-01-2002 | 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Eric

The other thing I've noticed is that when I'm waiting at a stop and I've put the car in neutral (foot off the clutch) and I go to but it back into first to go, occasionally I have a hard time getting it into first.

Eric,
From the stop light, sometime my new 6spd (under 600miles) has the same problem not able to get into first from neutral. Also sometime it can not get into second from first in to middle of traffic. So I just have to use brutal force and give the shift a big grind.

Just like Willes, I am new to manual car, I though it all because of my shifting. I might slow at upshifting but I do make sure to floor the clutch before I shift, in fact that is one reason that I might shift slowly. Also people told me in cold day, missing gear is normal.

But thanks to Willes, I am going to pay more attention to the shifting problem, and if they appear pretty consistently I will talk to my dealer too.
Old 02-01-2002 | 10:54 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

happened to me once too, scared the hell out of me. oh well. i want to know what's up with thte 2-3 shift, it sucks most of the time.

Scared the crap out of me too! I thought some how I put the car in a forward gear while in Reverse . Good to hear I'm not the only one with the R pop out syndrome. I was just trying to line up for a drag race .

2-3 and Nissan tranny's. My experience with my 6spd tranny is not a big deal, 3rd gear is just a little notchy and takes some getting use too. IMO, I would not call this a "problem" just something nissan should clean up for the next model year. WillSE's car sounds like it definatly has a problem.
Old 02-01-2002 | 11:24 AM

in all fairness to my dealer...

I think Nissan gives them a hard time on repairs...

Quick Reply: ATTN: ALL 2k2 6 SPEED OWNERS!