5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A question about motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 03:17 PM

A question about motor oil

I was told that the oil from small garages are so-called re-refined oil( you know they are from 120L barrels), and the branded sealed oil barrel that we buy from stores are genuine oil made from crude.

Is this right? I know probably there's no quality difference between re-refined and "fresh", but just curious, is this true that small garages are using cheaper stuff?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:21 PM

Probably. It may be a universal figure such as 0w20 or something.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:57 AM

Just ask the shop what they use.

I work at a smaller independent shop and we only use name brand synthetic oils. The same stuff you'd find on the shelf at any store. We keep different weights and even have Motul for some Euro cars.

I don't know about lube shops or the $19.99 places but all the mechanics shops I deal with use the exact same oil, in 5qt jugs, as the rest of us.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:39 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Just ask the shop what they use.

I work at a smaller independent shop and we only use name brand synthetic oils. The same stuff you'd find on the shelf at any store. We keep different weights and even have Motul for some Euro cars.

I don't know about lube shops or the $19.99 places but all the mechanics shops I deal with use the exact same oil, in 5qt jugs, as the rest of us.
You don't buy it by 50 gal drum?
I guess no need for a small shop, but that's what the high volume places do. A barrel of conventional and syn for each weight.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:46 AM

DIY so there's no question about oil quality
Old 11-15-2016, 12:46 PM

Do your own oil change and then you know good oil is going in.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
You don't buy it by 50 gal drum?
I guess no need for a small shop, but that's what the high volume places do. A barrel of conventional and syn for each weight.

We're not a high volume oil change shop. We obviously use oil and we change oil for some of our customers but mostly the higher end and exotics. You can't just stop for an oil change, or any work, without an appointment. Also, a lot of our customers are car dealers, dealerships, other shops and people who live over an hour away. I hadn't really thought about it much but this is probably why we only do a few oil changes a week.

As others have said to the OP, do your own oil changes. It's very easy on these cars and only requires a few tools. It also gets you under the hood and under the car once in a while to spot other issues before they become problems.