5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NEWBIE HERE. Need help! p0430 code

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

NEWBIE HERE. Need help! p0430 code

I'm new here but I need some help! SES light came on about a month ago, used my code reader and the wonderful p0430 code came up. About a week ago I used an o2 sim to try and fix it but after I cleared the codes, my SES light came back on after a few miles. Plugged in my code reader and alas, my p0430 code is gone. BUT 4 NEW CODES CAME UP. p0135, p0141, p0155, and p0161. Ever since I put in the o2 sim, I hear a squeaky noise when I turn my heater on. Now I'm clueless. Any help appreciated!
Old 12-11-2016, 06:05 PM

If your original code was for the O2 sensor, why didn't you just swap out the O2 sensor for a new one? Seems to me like trying to save money came back to bite you.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaximaNoob1
If your original code was for the O2 sensor, why didn't you just swap out the O2 sensor for a new one? Seems to me like trying to save money came back to bite you.
I heard that using o2 sims work. That's why I tried it.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

0430 indicates poor catalyst function, not necessarily a bad O2 sensor.

Avendeleon, all four of these new codes are related to the O2 sensor heaters. I take it you tapped sims into all four. Did you leave the O2 sensors plugged into the car? My understanding is that they must remain attached so that the heaters work and send back a good signal. If you did leave the sensors attached, did you tap the sims into the wrong wires?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by elSueco
0430 indicates poor catalyst function, not necessarily a bad O2 sensor.

Avendeleon, all four of these new codes are related to the O2 sensor heaters. I take it you tapped sims into all four. Did you leave the O2 sensors plugged into the car? My understanding is that they must remain attached so that the heaters work and send back a good signal. If you did leave the sensors attached, did you tap the sims into the wrong wires?
I understand my original code isn't for the sensors but I used the o2 sim cause I've heard that it works. People delete their pre cats and use o2 sims and their SES light goes bye bye. It was $7 and it took about 45 minutes to install. And no, I didn't tap into all four. I only did the one that I needed to. Should I take the o2 sim off and see what happens from there?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by avendeleon
I understand my original code isn't for the sensors but I used the o2 sim cause I've heard that it works. People delete their pre cats and use o2 sims and their SES light goes bye bye. It was $7 and it took about 45 minutes to install. And no, I didn't tap into all four. I only did the one that I needed to. Should I take the o2 sim off and see what happens from there?
Sorry, the 0430 comment was a reply to MaximaNoob1.

I don't know why all 4 sensors would be throwing codes if you only put the sim on one. I would remove the sim and see what happens.

I'm working on an 0430 myself at the moment. In my case, I believe that the b2s2 is bad. If replacing it does not work, my next step is to use a sensor spacer to try and eliminate the code in time for an emissions test.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry, the 0430 comment was a reply to MaximaNoob1.

I don't know why all 4 sensors would be throwing codes if you only put the sim on one. I would remove the sim and see what happens.

I'm working on an 0430 myself at the moment. In my case, I believe that the b2s2 is bad. If replacing it does not work, my next step is to use a sensor spacer to try and eliminate the code in time for an emissions test.
Yeah I'm trying to get emissions passed on this thing. It's a real pain I tell ya. I tried a spacer too and it didnt work for me. Keep me posted!
Old 12-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you tried a new sensor? I suspect that if the sensor itself is bad, then spacers won't help.

Have you hooked up a scan tool that can show you the individual sensor readings? I have a Bluetooth OBDII module, and Nissan Data Scan II Lite on my Android. It shows the individual sensors, but the refresh rate isn't good enough for me to consider it more than a hint. I think I'll get the PC software and direct cable for better monitoring.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you tried a new sensor? I suspect that if the sensor itself is bad, then spacers won't help.

Have you hooked up a scan tool that can show you the individual sensor readings? I have a Bluetooth OBDII module, and Nissan Data Scan II Lite on my Android. It shows the individual sensors, but the refresh rate isn't good enough for me to consider it more than a hint. I think I'll get the PC software and direct cable for better monitoring.
I said screw it and I ended up buying a pre cat. I can install it myself and I've heard that this USUALLY fixes the code. I just wanna pass emissions ):
Old 12-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by avendeleon
I said screw it and I ended up buying a pre cat. I can install it myself and I've heard that this USUALLY fixes the code. I just wanna pass emissions ):
yeah that is most of the time the main reason the code will pop up. I have a 420 code that kept coming back until i replaced the pre-cat. Now no more code.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxinout93
yeah that is most of the time the main reason the code will pop up. I have a 420 code that kept coming back until i replaced the pre-cat. Now no more code.
Yeah I'm crossing my fingers hoping it gets rid of this damn SES. If not I might just have to drive it off a cliff
Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What O2 simulator did you use and where did you get it? I'm looking for a couple.

When you remove the old, offending pre-cat, can you post here and tell us what the insides looked like?

I'm curious to see if it was deteriorating.

I'm getting ready to gut both of mine.

Last edited by SquidBeak; 12-19-2016 at 02:50 PM.