5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Generation. Stalling/ High Idle TCS light and Slip Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016 | 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5th Generation. Stalling/ High Idle TCS light and Slip Light

2000 SE:
Automatic

I inherited this vehicle about two days ago. Went to start it, fired right up and then stalled. Kept doing so until I'd give it gas to stay running. Even after the car warmed up, I still had to keep giving it gas to stay running. After about 20 minutes it stays on by itself, but is up and down on the idle (between 1200-2200). Put the car into drive and the rpm sits at about 900. Barely accelerate over 10mph and the car shudders and goes normal. By 20-22mph rpm jumps to 2200 again and then drives normal. Took it to a shop (needed rear pads, rear right caliper, and a tps). Problem still continued, but now my TCS OFF light and SLIP lights are on. I can't seem to diagnose any of the above problems. I'm going through an 1/8th tank of gas everytime I have to start the car. Can anyone help before I get torn apart at a dealer??
Old 12-19-2016 | 06:43 AM

Mine developed severe driveability issues a few weeks after I bought it, very similar to what you're describing. I cleaned the MAF sensor with the CRC spray that's made for that, and now it runs like new.