5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of buying a 2000 SE: Advice Wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thinking of buying a 2000 SE: Advice Wanted!

Hey guys,

I'm new here and thought you guys would be the best place to come to for knowledge on all things Maxima. I'm looking at a 2000 Maxima SE fully loaded, 73,000 miles. It's a one owner, automatic, black leather, dual heated seats, CD Bose system, beige exterior and I'm sure I'm forgetting other things. The body is straight and from the pictures looks immaculate apart from the inevitable ding or scratch that 16 years will bring.

Anyway, the person is asking $3,500 firm. At least according to KBB that is over priced by at least a thousand. But I know KBB isn't always accurate for current market value. Like my buddy's Honda S2000 it has it listed for half the current market value for them.

Anyway, is this car overpriced or a deal?

Thanks ahead of time guys!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:45 AM

Sounds like a good deal to me If the mileage and everything is accurate, no rust, ect. Seems like it hasnt been driven much if the mileage is accurate, sometimes that not a good thing on a older car, but hey if it checks out then id say get it.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Sounds like a good deal to me If the mileage and everything is accurate, no rust, ect. Seems like it hasnt been driven much if the mileage is accurate, sometimes that not a good thing on a older car, but hey if it checks out then id say get it.
Hey, thanks for getting back to me quick. Unfortunately, after hawk-eyeing the pictures more it appears there are bubbles forming on the rear tire wells between the rim of both back wheel wells and the rear door jam. Dammit, the car was perfect until I spotted that. I researched it quickly and it appears to be a common issue with the 5th gens? That's probably a headache I don't want to get into. It's too bad because this car is perfect. I'll have to post the link up. You can tell it was a one owner- older guy who owns it and took care of it but I guess in the northeast this happens a lot to the 5th gens.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:18 PM

Rust on the rear wheel wells is extremely common on a 5th gen, no biggy. I have rusty rear wheel wells and they're fine, still structurally sound. Don't let that stop you though.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:34 PM

It's hard for KBB to figure prices on very low or very high mileage cars.
If there's rust visible then there could be other problems with rust. Exhaust, suspension, core support can all be problems. Rusty cars are a lot harder to work on when the time comes too.

I'd never step up on price for a rusty car. You'd be better to find one from below the rust belt, with pics under the car, and pay for shipping or travel. I have an 00 and an 02 with well over 500,000 between them. They've both been in north Florida the whole time and neither has a speck of rust. Even the stock exhaust of the 00 is still silver. Good cars are out there.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:57 PM

Nope

The automatic maxima is slower than an Accord or Camry and wants premium fuel. Don't buy it for speed/cost.