5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing the radio in an '02 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacing the radio in an '02 Maxima

Recently got a 2002 Maxima. Only thing wrong with it is that the radio doesn't work. Would like to replace it, but know absolutely nothing about doing something of that nature. Was looking for some guidance. As a side note I can get some radios for cheap from where I work that as double din..though I honestly don't even know what that means. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:57 PM

Hi, also looking to change my stereo from regular to double din, i found this adapter : https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-7416.../dp/B003D3NEK4

didn't order yet as they charging high shipment fee and taxes to Israel

Good luck

Oren
Old 12-30-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jzd0002
Recently got a 2002 Maxima. Only thing wrong with it is that the radio doesn't work. Would like to replace it, but know absolutely nothing about doing something of that nature. Was looking for some guidance. As a side note I can get some radios for cheap from where I work that as double din..though I honestly don't even know what that means. Thanks in advance for any help.
Originally Posted by oren
Hi, also looking to change my stereo from regular to double din, i found this adapter : https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-7416.../dp/B003D3NEK4

didn't order yet as they charging high shipment fee and taxes to Israel

Oren
Changing the radio isn't that difficult a task. Unless you are going to install the same exact Nissan radio back into the car, you will need some adaptors. Metra and Scosche are the two most common brands (in the USA).

1 - Wire harness adaptors (Metra 71-7550) this requires soldering skills
2 - A trim plate to cover the hole in the dash (double din = Metra 95-7416G)
3 - a "diversity" antenna adaptor (Metra 40-NI11) (at least in USA cars)

If you are replacing a BOSE brand radio, there are more considerations. Bose speakers are not standard car speakers, so you need a line level adaptor to use them. The one I like and have used several times is the PAC ROEM-NIS2. if you use this, you do not need the wire harness adaptors (#1 above), but you will still have to solder. There are some other possibilities, but it depends on the features of the replacement radio. Even then, the PAC ROEM still works.

Metra adaaptors for the 5th gen Maxima
http://www.metraonline.com/vfgapi/vehicle/25569?

Removing the 5th gen radio:
Attached Thumbnails Replacing the radio in an '02 Maxima-00max-radio-removed-1.jpg   Replacing the radio in an '02 Maxima-00max-radio-removed-2_zpscyrpznbv.jpg  

Last edited by DennisMik; 07-01-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: photobucket wants money to display photos