5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 SE Rear Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 SE Rear Struts

I'm replacing the struts and the videos i've seen show the mounts easily accessible through the trunk. HOwever, mine has more metal plating around the entire access area behind the rear seat (maybe for improved handling?) ANyway, is there an easy way to get the struts out and in without having to remove all that?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

nvm. just realized you can get an extension down through the top to reach the mount nut.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:10 PM

I have been there and done that, it is a PITA but I did take part the metal brackets and plating, in order for me to get my socket accessible to the strut mount for me to drop it out of the car to change the strut. I haven't heard or seen anyone had a quicker or less work to get the to the rear struts.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Bad *** Newb

Pull rear seat and take out all the bolts, then the bracket will come off.

It is NOT worth doing with swivels and extensions or tiny wrench unless you have tiny hands and it wasn't tightened properly. It will take far longer and be frustrating. For me, it is completely impossible.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM

I'm not a small person and just did the rear strut and spring on one side. Had absolutely no issues getting the nuts off with a swivel. Jack up to jack down only took 35 minutes. This was my first time as well. Very simple job.