5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Key Programming Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:38 AM

Key Programming Issues

2001 Maxima, 160k, 5sp

I've looked at the threads about programming keys, but they haven't answered my specific question.

I'm changing the ECU and IACV in my car and need my keys programmed to the ECU. I bought the VAG COM KKL 409.1 to program the computer.

The next problem is that this has to be done in the next two-three days since this is my work vehicle and I need it for a long trip Wed or Thurs this week. So I have to get a junkyard computer.

--1. What else do I need to program the chip in the key myself? I don't understand how to interface with the RFID chip in the keys and I read something about the Nissan Software, but I wasn't sure if that's all I need.

--2. Since I'll be using my old keys and fobs, will I only need to program the ECU to accept my keys or will I need to also program the chip in each key?

--3. Do I need a junkyard ECU from a 5sp manual or will an ECU from an automatic work too?

--4. Does anyone know of a Nissan mechanic/shop in DFW who could program the keys to the used ECU? (Preferably one near the Irving, TX area, right next to Dallas proper).

Last edited by Cephyr13; 01-09-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:42 PM

Did your original ecu burn up?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 PM

Yeah. I took it apart today and found a chunk of the STA509A transistor sitting inside the ECM. lol There was oil on one side of the ECM wiring harness plug. I assumed that the chip had heated up and liquefied some kind of grease used on the plug, but that sounded a little odd. Any idea what the oil could be from?

I went to some junkyards and pulled a few computers. I tried to find on in a wrecked car in hopes that the ECM/IACV problem wasn't what caused the car to go to the junkyard, but I couldn't find a wrecked one. And the one I ended up using the transistor out of didn't have the IACV on it, so I couldn't tell if it had fried the chip already. But the chip looked perfectly good, so I'm hoping it's good.

I had a TV repair shop put the chip in my computer. I'm putting an IACV on it tomorrow, bypass the TB with the coolant lines, replace the 7.5A fuse, reset the idle, and hope for the best. I didn't have time to order a new STA508A chip. I need the car for a trip on Thursday.

I'm still wondering if I can program the ECM to accept my keys if I have the Consult II program on my laptop. I just bought the VAG COM cable. I used to have one for working on VWs, but I seem to have lost it.

I'll post up later as to how it all worked out and what I did in case anyone else needs a quick fix. But really, the junkyard way I did it isn't smart and could cost a person some money if they get a bad computer.

- Brian
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Cephyr13
Yeah. I took it apart today and found a chunk of the STA509A transistor sitting inside the ECM. lol There was oil on one side of the ECM wiring harness plug. I assumed that the chip had heated up and liquefied some kind of grease used on the plug, but that sounded a little odd. Any idea what the oil could be from?

I went to some junkyards and pulled a few computers. I tried to find on in a wrecked car in hopes that the ECM/IACV problem wasn't what caused the car to go to the junkyard, but I couldn't find a wrecked one. And the one I ended up using the transistor out of didn't have the IACV on it, so I couldn't tell if it had fried the chip already. But the chip looked perfectly good, so I'm hoping it's good.

I had a TV repair shop put the chip in my computer. I'm putting an IACV on it tomorrow, bypass the TB with the coolant lines, replace the 7.5A fuse, reset the idle, and hope for the best. I didn't have time to order a new STA508A chip. I need the car for a trip on Thursday.

I'm still wondering if I can program the ECM to accept my keys if I have the Consult II program on my laptop. I just bought the VAG COM cable. I used to have one for working on VWs, but I seem to have lost it.

I'll post up later as to how it all worked out and what I did in case anyone else needs a quick fix. But really, the junkyard way I did it isn't smart and could cost a person some money if they get a bad computer.

- Brian

You should be good to go. Replacing that chip should do the trick.

You can always program with the cable and NDS2, but no need since you've repaired it.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 AM

Thanks, man. That's good to know. NDS2? That's Consult 2? Good.

According to the Nissan dealer, if I want to replace the computer and program it to accept my keys, it has to be a computer from a manual, and can't be a 20th Anniversary model. It probably has to be a 2001 computer, too. I cracked open a 2000 auto computer and it looked a little different. Didn't have the STA509A chip.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Bad *** Newb

Thanks, man. That's good to know. NDS2? That's Consult 2? Good.

According to the Nissan dealer, if I want to replace the computer and program it to accept my keys, it has to be a computer from a manual, and can't be a 20th Anniversary model. It probably has to be a 2001 computer, too. I cracked open a 2000 auto computer and it looked a little different. Didn't have the STA509A chip.
That's pure baloney. Auto will work but throw codes. Years are interchangeable, but you want to use 2001 b/c no EGR valve on them (otherwise I'm sure you'd get egr code). AE just has locking diff.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-11-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 AM

That's good to know.

I ended up pulling an ECU from an '01 Auto Maxima and an '01 Auto I30. I pulled the IACV from the I30 to see if it was leaking. Sure enough, it had a leak, and when I check its computer, the STA509A didn't look fully glossy like the one in the '01 Maxima's ECU. So I had a TV repair shop take the STA509A from the '01 Maxima and put in into my car's computer so I wouldn't have to reprogram the ECU to accept the keys. Cost me $38 for the computer at a junkyard in this area, and $100 to have the repair shop swap the STA509A transistor array onto my ECU. I'm ordering a couple of extra STA509As to keep on hand now, just in case I run into this problem again and need my car functional ASAP. lol

I said it before, but it's worth noting again, just in case someone reads this thread in the future and has this same problem...the 2000 Maxima Automatic computer I pulled did not have an STA509A chip in it. And those two STA508A chips in it will not work in place of the STA509A. The chips have different specs so an STA508A would likely damage the car.

So the AE model has a locking diff? Man... I really wish I'd found an AE model then. I love the limited slip diff that was installed in my Taurus SHO. They're so much fun around turns, but they eat my tires up. I take a 15mph clover leaf off-ramp/on-ramp near my house in the Dallas area at around 65mph. My poor tires pay for it. lol Well, at least I know which model to get if I ever get another Maxima.

Is the locking diff a pretty good one? (locking diffs actually eat up tires, as opposed to my LSD which only eats up tires because I utilize it a little too spiritedly)

- Brian
Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Bad *** Newb

That's good to know.

I ended up pulling an ECU from an '01 Auto Maxima and an '01 Auto I30. I pulled the IACV from the I30 to see if it was leaking. Sure enough, it had a leak, and when I check its computer, the STA509A didn't look fully glossy like the one in the '01 Maxima's ECU. So I had a TV repair shop take the STA509A from the '01 Maxima and put in into my car's computer so I wouldn't have to reprogram the ECU to accept the keys. Cost me $38 for the computer at a junkyard in this area, and $100 to have the repair shop swap the STA509A transistor array onto my ECU. I'm ordering a couple of extra STA509As to keep on hand now, just in case I run into this problem again and need my car functional ASAP. lol

I said it before, but it's worth noting again, just in case someone reads this thread in the future and has this same problem...the 2000 Maxima Automatic computer I pulled did not have an STA509A chip in it. And those two STA508A chips in it will not work in place of the STA509A. The chips have different specs so an STA508A would likely damage the car.

So the AE model has a locking diff? Man... I really wish I'd found an AE model then. I love the limited slip diff that was installed in my Taurus SHO. They're so much fun around turns, but they eat my tires up. I take a 15mph clover leaf off-ramp/on-ramp near my house in the Dallas area at around 65mph. My poor tires pay for it. lol Well, at least I know which model to get if I ever get another Maxima.

Is the locking diff a pretty good one? (locking diffs actually eat up tires, as opposed to my LSD which only eats up tires because I utilize it a little too spiritedly)

- Brian
Well, I meant LSD. The 5 spd has a quaife lsd. Auto is just vlsd, I assume.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM

Nice. I'll look for an AE next time. I just saw one for sale up in Rhode Island for $2,400 in great condition with 187000 miles. That would have been a nice one to pick up instead of this one I bought.

Last edited by Cephyr13; 01-11-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM

So did the you get the car running?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:50 PM

Yeah, so far, so good! I can't believe it worked.

And I'm pretty happy to finally get all of the check engine lights off in that car and get it running well.

I say that, but I actually had a cylinder misfire code come up--cylinder 4. So I bought a new ignition coil and spark plug for that cylinder. I'll install them tonight and that problem should be fixed.

That poor car was abused all to hell before I got it, but now that I've replaced most of the car's parts, it feels like a pretty decent car! lol I should've bought a better maintained one to begin with. Oh well.

- Brian
Old 03-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Glad to hear you got your car running; where did you get the consult II program? I tried my Silva key programmer but I'm stuck in the NATS lockout myou and can't communicate with my ecu
Old 03-04-2017, 09:45 PM

Found it online. But I didn't need to buy or use it. I just replaced the chip in my ECU.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2001 i30
Glad to hear you got your car running; where did you get the consult II program? I tried my Silva key programmer but I'm stuck in the NATS lockout myou and can't communicate with my ecu
Were you able to reprogram your keys and ECU?

Why are you having to reprogram your keys?

I had to because of an issue with my computer. If you're doing it for that reason, there's an easier way to take care of the problem.

- Brian