5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P2138 Troubles

Old 01-11-2017, 05:17 PM

P2138 Troubles

Hello everyone.
I'll try and make this short. I'm having trouble figuring out this code problem. Long story short I had the plenum off for valve covers, sparkplugs, injector cleaning/rebuild. I got everything back together and after the computer figured everything out it ran great and there weren't any leaks. Started it up after 3 or 4 drive cycles and I got P0113 IAT Sensor (I've gotten it before and it's went away), P1564 ASCD Steering Switch (I've had it pop up once a year or so ago), and P2138 APP Sensor. The car went into limp mode once I started driving it.
The computer won't let me retrieve the codes with the pedal dance I have to use a scanner. It also won't let me do an Idle relearn. When I hold the accelerator for the last 10 seconds the slip and TCS light come on and won't let me continue with a relearn. The only code that keeps coming back is P2138 APPS.
I'm stuck troubleshooting the APPS. I hope the picture can be seen. For step 8 I'm back probing with the APPS Harness connected, the ecu harness disconnected on terminal 73, and ignition on. Is that how it's suppose to be done? Everything checked out to this point.
I haven't ruled out the other codes. I just started with the APPS. Any help would be appreciated

Old 01-11-2017, 06:41 PM

I found this page in the FSM. I guess you are supposed to back probe the ecu harness with it connected.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 PM

^ Troubleshooting Rookie
Old 01-15-2017, 01:29 PM

Everything checked out on the pedal except that I was getting a high reading from terminal 74 on the ecu to terminal 2 on the APPS harness. It was 1.1 volts and it's supposed to be .08-.48 volts. That's when the pedal is released. Why is it high I don't know. The ASCD stuff all checks out.
So, I disconnected the ecu, disconnected the pedal, and turned the green bump stop on the pedal. Hooked it all back up and the ecu would finally allow me to do an idle relearn. So I did that and thought I had it figured out(worn bump stop), but after driving the car a few times it came back (P2138) along with P0605 (EDU code which is scary).
I cleared those codes but the P2138 still comes back. Now I'm getting no reading from terminal 74 to APPS harness terminal 2.
I looked into the P0113 code (which showed up but doesn't come back?) and I am in fact getting no resistance through the thermistor(Honeywell 135-202FAG-J01), so I guess that explains that. I'm going to replace it and see what happens.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:31 AM

I replaced the gas pedal with a used one I pulled. 3.5 months later, so far so good. I guess the pedal sensor just went bad.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 AM

When I had P2138, I removed the APPS, opened it up and re-soldered the joints. No trouble since knock on wood.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 AM

Sweet. I guess it's just a couple of potentiometers so I imagine there was just a worn spot. I wanted to take it apart to find the point of failure but haven't got around to it. Pull A Part just charged me for a gas pedal no sensors or anything. So, it was like $11. Can't complain.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:10 AM

Inside is a white (presumably teflon) PCB with a number of potentiometers, and it's soldered to the plug leads. $11 is cheap! they probably had a used one put on.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:37 AM

Oh ok good to know. For clarification, I pulled a used one from the junkyard and was only charged $11. So yes a used one was put on.

Search this Thread