5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake Rotor + Caliper Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brake Rotor + Caliper Advice

Hello Folks,

I am about to do a major brake job on my 2002 Maxima SE. I have the all the necessary parts, including a brake caliper compressor.

I will upgrade the front brakes with a 6th (2004) kit, and the rear brakes with 2002 rotors, pads and calipers. I am getting going with the Powerstops all round:

2004 Front Brake Kit - Rotors + Pads + Calipers: https://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-KC.../dp/B00KT5C5I6

2002 Maxima Rear Brake Kit - Rotors + Pads + Calipers:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...ions/year/2002

1. I plan to install the rotors, pads and then the calipers. Is this the right order?

2. I plan to do the brake job in two separate days - the fronts on one day and the rears the other. But the service manual recommends the following:

Bleed air in the following order: Right rear brake , Left front brake , Left rear brake , Right front brake

3. Is it advisable, given the recommendation above, to do all 4 brakes the same time/same day?

I will appreciate any additional tips as I embark on this journey...this would be my first time doing it all alone ...

thanks again - MN
Old 01-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Bad *** Newb

Do it however you want, but for the love of FSM, open the bleeder when compressing the piston. I'm having a huge issue on lots of cars with spongy pedals after doing pads (some are notorious regardless of procedure). Good luck, I haven't had one nissan go back to stock pedal feel. A power flush may resolve that. I like it a little soft, but I wouldn't expect it to feel the same for you.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-16-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:12 AM

Sweet!
Not sure if you were planning to, but I would definitely do a complete brake fluid flush. I didn't know it's recommended to do that X pattern bleeding procedure. I've done furthest to nearest on my 5.5 with success.
Yes, put the rotor on then put the pads in the caliper then put the caliper on. You can normally attach loosely the top caliper bolt put the pads in then hinge the caliper down over the rotor.
It doesn't matter what order you do them in. You're going to have to have the car up on 4 jack stands. Do them one at a time and just see how far you get. You don't need to bleed any of them until you're done with all of them.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:33 AM

Keep the brake fluid reservoir topped off at all times so you don't suck air into the master cylinder! Get a clear tube to hook up to the bleeder screw so you can see what's going on as you bleed. You'll see bubbles and see the fluid color better. Have someone help you bleed. Have that person pump the brakes and tell them to tell you when they are about to bottom out the brake pedal. Tighten the bleeder screw right before they bottom out.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Upperhand
Keep the brake fluid reservoir topped off at all times so you don't suck air into the master cylinder! Get a clear tube to hook up to the bleeder screw so you can see what's going on as you bleed. You'll see bubbles and see the fluid color better. Have someone help you bleed. Have that person pump the brakes and tell them to tell you when they are about to bottom out the brake pedal. Tighten the bleeder screw right before they bottom out.
You don't need two people if you have a tube on it. It's also best to not bottom out the pedal.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Bottle of oxalic acid too to remove rust.
I've had huge issues with rust around the knuckle. I wouldn't try removing the ABS brake sensor bolt. It's probably seized with rust