5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Moog Inner tie rod lacking accessories. Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:58 AM

Moog Inner tie rod lacking accessories. Options?

Well I got the Moog problem solver series for the tie rods and today I find out that the Boot, Clamps, and Locking plate are not included.

Should have read description more carefully, but what are my options? Can I reuse the old clamps, plate, and boot?

Thanks

Last edited by flames101sully; 01-20-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by flames101sully
Well I got the Moog problem solver series for the tie rods and today I find out that the Boot, Clamps, and Locking plate are not included.

Should have read description more carefully, but what are my options? Can I reuse the old clamps, plate, and boot?

Thanks
Locking plate? That useless thing I just beat up to remove the rods? Lol. Zip ties on original boots (as long as not rotted) are fine.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-20-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Locking plate? That useless thing I just beat up to remove the rods? Lol. Zip ties on original boots (as long as not rotted) are fine.
This is my first time doing the inner tie rod. Can you actually install it without the locking plate? Will there be any negative effects?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:28 PM

I have replaced my inner and outer tie rods. My original tie rod did not have a locking plate on them, so I think some of the Maxima did on certain build date. I don't think you would need the lock plate unless it came with it, but in rare instance. The boot are sold separately and I did not use zip ties that came with it, because I know they get brittle due to temp and age. so I got myself a cv boot clamp you can get any any auto parts. they work great and at least I have a peace of mind it's snug and secure there.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
I have replaced my inner and outer tie rods. My original tie rod did not have a locking plate on them, so I think some of the Maxima did on certain build date. I don't think you would need the lock plate unless it came with it, but in rare instance. The boot are sold separately and I did not use zip ties that came with it, because I know they get brittle due to temp and age. so I got myself a cv boot clamp you can get any any auto parts. they work great and at least I have a peace of mind it's snug and secure there.
Ok, Thanks. I will pick up some new boots, but I think zip ties will work as this is most likely my car's last year.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

I had to smile when I read this post. I've done it both ways. That inner rod isn't going anywhere once it's tightened down the outer tie rod. I used some automotive "high temp" zip ties on one of my Nissan's over six years ago because I didn't want to twist the wire that came with the replacement boot. I didn't plan to keep the car for over 3 to 5 years, so I tried it. The zip ties will most likely outlast the car and boots.

Recently I tried some Beck Arnley boots that I got at RockAuto.com on one one of my Maximas. I usually use MOOG boots. When I looked at the boots, I thought this is some thin stretchy new material compared to heavier synthetic rubber boots. So it turned out when I installed the boots, they have to be stretched over the rack and fit very tight on the rod. Like so tight I didn't see a need for using zip ties. But I used zip ties anyway.

So I'm giving these new Beck rack boots a try. So far I think I like them.

I suspect the boots are made from DuPont Hytrel. It looks like the same boot material I recently installed with some new CV axles.

http://www.dupont.com/industries/aut...-25-years.html

It will take 3 to 5 years to know how this turns out. Here's a picture of the CV axle that uses what I think is Hytrel.

Name:  90_New_Suspension_zpsd84hjqfh.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  200.1 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-22-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:11 PM

Should of reused the boot and zip tied that all you need to do lol.